Discuss VIR Cables a Ticking time bomb in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nickblake

This ones reall scary , visited a house , and found this , this is when you need to issue a Danger notification and i did , but how the hell do you tell a 79 year old widow that there electrics are dangerouse , well that what i have had to face ,and it was drop tools and get it sorted , basically the whole house is i need of a total rewire and its been started , looked at it friday started rewiring yesterday , had a sleepless weekend i can tel you , shocked the woman with the speed i jumped on it ,and managed to do it without scar GEDC4615.jpging the living daylights out of her , part rewired now , have managed to remove the worst effected cables and install a new dual RCD board in new legsGEDC4616.jpg to the kitchen boiler cooker and earth bonding installed, the whole kitchen was running off the cooker circuit tapped off with junction boxes and socGEDC4617.jpgkets also wired in 1mm twe of a 30 amp 3036 nice , realy annoying thing is 6 months ago she had a new boiler radiators and room stat installed guss whGEDC4607.jpgat no bonding to water or gas service and the room stat wired with no neutral and installed right next to the heating pipes ,ment to be done by a qualGEDC4614.jpgified spark !!! more like a muppet , so if you get a customer who says its ok works for years show them these pics ,cables date back to the early 50'sGEDC4622.jpg

i think the biggest question is why the hell didnt the meter fitter inform the lady of the house as it had a new meter fitted november 2010 !!!!! copy of the pics inc the british gas one sent to the ESC

GEDC4622.jpg

GEDC4614.jpg

GEDC4607.jpg

GEDC4617.jpg

GEDC4616.jpg

GEDC4615.jpg

that`s some bad wiring mate. you might have had a sleepless weekend but at least you know her days won`t be cut short any more due to that time bomb she had in there. the Pir`s really need promoting to home owners as well as businesses. Don`t forget the pics when you have made it good again mate

Nice one Nick, so this abortion also 'slipped past' the eyes of the GasSafe heating installer too, he obviously issued his certificate with a tick in the 'bonding' box?

Makes you sick, do you ever involve relatives before starting jobs like this? Just wondering if you are in a better position going through the intended work with say a son or daughter?

Nice one Nick, so this abortion also 'slipped past' the eyes of the GasSafe heating installer too, he obviously issued his certificate with a tick in the 'bonding' box?

Makes you sick, do you ever involve relatives before starting jobs like this? Just wondering if you are in a better position going through the intended work with say a son or daughter?

thats what I have done in the past IQ. i once had to visit a house that was in a dangerous way and rather than someones son or daughter thinking i was trying to spend their inheritance money i asked the mum to give them a bell so they could see it. when she came round she was great took her for a walk through explaining everything to her and told her i would itemise a quote and if they wanted somone else to price they were more than welcome but stressed it had to be done asap. I got the job there and then and ended up with a full re wire from her daughter in their newly bought house as well. everyone safe and happy

lol if you could see the garage her son has just wait till i can get some pics of that oh my god ill issue him a DN when i see him , just one example 2.5mm twin and earth stripped to the inner core going up to the light fitting in the garage catches the metal door every time you open it not an RCD in sight , the lady concerned is well with it so i felt that there was no need to contact her family and the funny thing is she wants me to go and check her sons electrics to , he did install some sockets in the longe cables come off an un earth lighting circuit and are under the carpet

under the carpet cables. not seen them for a couple of years now :) really makes you wonder what the hell they are thinking when they do it mate

what, carpet doesnt provide mechanical protection or protection against direct contact?

the numpty i followed in on a job had clipped 6mm to a skirt and then under the laminate. a good 40 foot or so run to the cooker outlet. he scraped a nice hole out where it came from under the laminate into the kitchen and just laid it on the floor and let the grease take control of holding it in place. it got better when i opened the isolater on the wall as he had trimmed 3 or 4 cores back because it was tight for him to get a fix?? the mind boggles sometimes

Up Date : well so far ,new supply to boiler get the heating back on,the lady of the house said she couldnt get the house realy warm , well im not suprised room stat wired in 3 core flex no neutral as we know the honey well stats require a neutral , and the next thing it was installed pushed upto a trunking that had pipes for a radiator what a muppet, new circuits are in for the kitchen ,cooker and ring , and new circuits in for the lounge just the 2 legs at the mo , rewired the lights in the kitchen ,hall and lounge ,so at least she has some lighting ,although now most of the sockets are un powered except for the new ones the cabling to variouse fitting were so poor and disturbing them has made them worse so there was no way i could leave the power on to those circuits , and also i required the old cable runs for the new cable more pics will follow

Reply to VIR Cables a Ticking time bomb in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net