Discuss Visual Electrical Condition Reports are they up to the task ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Guys this is a report in between the 5 year EICR's and on change of tennancy.
Its NOT a substitute for an EICR and we all know that.
The point is they ARE being completed by sparkies in between A full EICR and due to the lesser work for less money. But money never the less.
If you look at the link and read the reports there are disclaimers to the affect that they are visual only.
I suppose they are saying a full EICR isnt due, but due to change of tennancy and as a duty of care. They want a visual check conducted by professionals, rather than nothing at all.
Unless these certs are totally outlawed, and whilst the customer has a choice, they will go for this option.
Otherwise in theory, a new tennant could move in every year, and over 5 years you would be looking at 5 EICR's for the same install.
You may as well say the EICR lasts 5 years so wait until the next one falls due.
Or have a visual done in the interim.
Thats the point. Is there a place for these interim certs or not.
And NO we arent talking about a substitute for the EICR.
Like I said people are making money out of these things, but is there a place for them if used as intended. ???
problem here bald...

is where is the line drawn?

after all its only a recommendation is condition reporting....

we all know that councils & such require it but....

QUOTE=baldsparkies;908435] Otherwise in theory, a new tennant could move in every year, and over 5 years you would be looking at 5 EICR's for the same install. [/QUOTE]

Yep thats the recommendation in BS7671, 5yrs and 'change' is when you do the EICR. That’s what covers your butt should anything happen and the HSE want a quiet word with you. But what you can do on the EICR under the reasons for completing and limit of inspection, is put a statement around when the last EICR was done, any visuals done since then, and why for this EICR you are only doing what you do.

As long as you can justify your 'engineering' judgement for why the now reduced level of inspection/test is sufficient then you can declare the property "Satisfactory" (safe?) for continued use. Thats what your signature is saying, the property is now 'Satisfactory' for a new tenant! If a visual inspection does that you are a braver man than me.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may as well say the EICR lasts 5 years so wait until the next one falls due Or have a visual done in the interim.

Thats right, if your professional engineering assessment has said 5 yrs (or 1 or 3) then thats what it is. However, guidance is that you shouldn’t wait the full time between EICRs but conduct "routine checks" as stipulated by the "electrical dutyholder" -- for me the landlord (another recommendation that passes the buck down to the layman!). A routine check is basically the 'visual' inspection to check everything looks OK, hasn’t been misused, broken, switches work etc … and the landlord himself can do this, it doesn’t need an 'electrical professional'. (There is no requirement for getting the test meter out!).

I can’t see any guidance given on the form to use for this 'routine inspection' so use whatever you want if doing it on behalf of the “electrical dutyholder”. Just make sure you caveat/exclude so much that you aren’t effectively saying from what you have checked/seen and using your knowledge and experience as an ‘electrical professional’, that everything is satisfactory (safe) for further use. That’s what the landlord is wanting from you to cover his butt (landlords safety certificate/cheap EICR), or else he would have done the routine/visual check himself(?), its not rocket science!. The £50(?) he is paying you is well worth it for him.

Personally, I won’t do ‘visuals’, the money v risk isn’t worth it. I only do EICRs, get someone else to do your visuals! Once my names on any bit of paperwork as an ‘electrical professional’ (visual or otherwise), Im exposed if something goes wrong. I can just see the defence lawyer, “But surely as a fully trained, experienced and professionally competent electrician holding the 2391 qualification, you would have realised from your visual inspection that what the landlord was requesting wasn’t enough etc …… and investigated further or refused to do the check initially on what he was suggesting needed doing. My client was relying on you as an electrical professional to ensure his property was safe for his tenants, which is why he brought you in, you have let him down badly”.

Visual inspections can open up a whole can of worms! Let the routine stuff (visuals) be done by the landlords/tenants and the inspection/tests (EICR) by done by the electrical professionals …… here endeth Saturdays sermon!

Badged,
Thats a very good sermon mate, Saturday or any other day.
I think you have nailed it.
The company involved has a lot of properties so a lot of tests.
Approved contractors are currently covering this work, and doing so with NICEIC official Visual Inspection Reports.
You can see them on any google search, and it amazes me that they even say, on those NICEIC forms.
This is an important safety document and should be retained for future reference blah,blah,blah. It also refers to VISUALLY satisfactory and VISUALLY unsatisfactory.
I kid you not, just have a look.
Considering ELECSIA and the NIC have recently joined together at the hip, and the amount of rhetoric that comes from that corner about safety, due diligence, and good electrical practice.
You have to wonder why the hell these things ever came to exist, and what they are allowing the landlords ect to get away with.
At the same time, sparkies could be using an official document, from a recognised governing body that has all the makings of dropping you right in the poo poo.
That why I am trying to get to the bottom of what these visuals are really all about.
Because rest assured there are guys making money out of these things
I wish I had asked the NICEIC if the these visuals are still available to improved contractors. I simply asked if there shop was still selling Domestic visual Inspection reports.
The girl said no.
I said why not ?
She passed me to technical (obviously she didnt know)
Technical said, because they have been open to abuse, and are not to be used to replace an EICR.
I KNOW THAT common sense prevail. But then what ARE they to be used for, WHY do or did the NIC produce them in the first place. And are they still available to approved contractors, or are those contractors just using up the ones they still have??
I appreciate all your replies, but I am going to ring the NIC again on monday and get this cleared up.
Makes me mad, that a governing body would produce official certificate that leaves its members totally vulnerable should the poo hit the fan.
And from what I can see just drop those certificates at the blink of an eye, with no warning or official statement of any kind, just because they have had a change of heart, and to cover themselves.
The technical guy was slagging the things as having no proper place in the professional electricians world. But hang on old chap, the organisation you work for has been selling the bl**dy things for years. !!!!

How ANYONE can say a property is safe by walking round and looking is beyond me UNLESS the individual concerned had previously done a 100% full EICR

I think the problem with the 'visual' is like anything you do, you can get away with it and no-one is any the wiser ..... until something goes wrong!

Badged,
Thats a very good sermon mate, Saturday or any other day.
I think you have nailed it.
The company involved has a lot of properties so a lot of tests.
Approved contractors are currently covering this work, and doing so with NICEIC official Visual Inspection Reports.
You can see them on any google search, and it amazes me that they even say, on those NICEIC forms.
This is an important safety document and should be retained for future reference blah,blah,blah. It also refers to VISUALLY satisfactory and VISUALLY unsatisfactory.
I kid you not, just have a look.
Considering ELECSIA and the NIC have recently joined together at the hip, and the amount of rhetoric that comes from that corner about safety, due diligence, and good electrical practice.
You have to wonder why the hell these things ever came to exist, and what they are allowing the landlords ect to get away with.
At the same time, sparkies could be using an official document, from a recognised governing body that has all the makings of dropping you right in the poo poo.
That why I am trying to get to the bottom of what these visuals are really all about.
Because rest assured there are guys making money out of these things
I wish I had asked the NICEIC if the these visuals are still available to improved contractors. I simply asked if there shop was still selling Domestic visual Inspection reports.
The girl said no.
I said why not ?
She passed me to technical (obviously she didnt know)
Technical said, because they have been open to abuse, and are not to be used to replace an EICR.
I KNOW THAT common sense prevail. But then what ARE they to be used for, WHY do or did the NIC produce them in the first place. And are they still available to approved contractors, or are those contractors just using up the ones they still have??
I appreciate all your replies, but I am going to ring the NIC again on monday and get this cleared up.
Makes me mad, that a governing body would produce official certificate that leaves its members totally vulnerable should the poo hit the fan.
And from what I can see just drop those certificates at the blink of an eye, with no warning or official statement of any kind, just because they have had a change of heart, and to cover themselves.
The technical guy was slagging the things as having no proper place in the professional electricians world. But hang on old chap, the organisation you work for has been selling the bl**dy things for years. !!!!

Welcome to the money making fantasy world of the Part Pee Scammers!! lol!!

By the way, none of these scammers are ''governing bodies'', (though a couple like to THINK that they are) except to their own company policy....

Reply to Visual Electrical Condition Reports are they up to the task ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net