Discuss Visual Electrical Condition Reports are they up to the task ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

baldsparkies

Guys,

I have rarely used these 3 page documents, mainly because I feel they have little value with regards to doing a professional job.

Sadly plenty of sparkies are covering landlords requirements with these certs.
In my humble opinion, covering the landlords lack of willingness to delve to deeply into there pockets and just have something that covers there proverbial rear end.

Anyway, in a world where you have to find work and feed the family (real world)
We have been offered a long term contract with exactly this kind of work.

Not wanting to turn it down. I phoned NICEIC because they actually produced a written cert on there website/shop catering for this kind of cert.

Apparently, no longer!!
So when the guys using them run out, they wont be able to purchase any more.
The reason given, is that many quick fix boys are abusing there use, and passing them off as cheap substitutes for an EICR. Which clearly they are not.

You can still purchase generic certs from various sources, so I am prepared to cover this work under the following circumstances.

1) Provided an EICR from a registered contractor has been completed within the last 5 years and available for viewing.

2) It is understood that a visual report is just that, and only covers (from my own perspective) limited readings.
Also it is provided on the understanding that it is NOT a substitute for a full EICR.

3) By limited readings I refer to RCD tripp times if applicable. Ze, and random limited earth loops.

Thoughts and opinions most welcome on this one lads,

Many Thanks.

Don't get me wrong,I detest the corruption within and outside of this industry ref Eicrs

However,the landlord has the responsibility for complying with his duty of care
You are a contracted person carrying out a requested function as a competent person for that function

I assume these Niceic visual things have disclaimers already printed on them and the person ordering the work must decide if it covers their duty of care and that responsibility,it's their decision

Your responsibility is to produce a skilled persons opinion only and not to try and change electrical world

I commend your concern and opinion of this abuse, but business wise,it may be a un necessary concern to complicate what they foolishly think covers their duty of care

You should know yourself, that these so-called Landlords certificates are not fit for purpose, and never have been. Shame on the NICEIC for ever compiling such a certificate in the first place. Based i have no doubt, on purely and solely monetary considerations, which is par for the course!!

Totally agree with the above. The landlord cert (visual) check is a total waste of time unless its done as a yearly check/update between full EICR's.

Don't get me wrong,I detest the corruption within and outside of this industry ref Eicrs

However,the landlord has the responsibility for complying with his duty of care
You are a contracted person carrying out a requested function as a competent person for that function

I assume these Niceic visual things have disclaimers already printed on them and the person ordering the work must decide if it covers their duty of care and that responsibility,it's their decision ...Maybe they found out that legally, their disclaimers meant Nothing in law and that was the main reason for withdrawing them!! lol!!

Your responsibility is to produce a skilled persons opinion only and not to try and change electrical world

I commend your concern and opinion of this abuse, but business wise,it may be a un necessary concern to complicate what they foolishly think covers their duty of care

Unfortunately the law has always been an ---, and i wouldn't trust that as such, it can't turn round and bite everyone within reach. Especially where say a house goes up in flames wiping out a complete family. They'll be wanting more than one head to role, especially if a numbty safety certificate is being waved around by the landlord or his agent!!

Agree with all the above completely.
Unfortunately it leaves us all having to make a living by covering our own backsides with disclaimers, because there is no written law that says NO you cant use these because they aint up to the task end of.
But we all know that these certs will be produced and people will be making money from them.
Gas safe, don't seem to have these half measure grey area certs floating around.
Maybe its time that the powers to be did the same for the electrical industry.
But then again, I'm sure its all been said before.
I should say, that my hatred for these things follows a property visit a few years back. 3 bedroom flat, very up market, that had a full kitchen re furb.
On close inspection the Cons Unit contained a kitchen socket circuit rated at 32A.
This turned out to be an unused 6mm radial that once fed a cooker circuit.
The 6mm was connected to a 30A J/B under a plinth, which fed a 1.5mm radial feeding all the sockets in the kitchen, and yes the cable showed signs of heat damage, also an intermittent fault had been reported hence our being called out.
A visual report was produced that was 3 years old, but nothing more, and of course nothing on the report to indicate this potential fire hazard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong you can provide for the landlord whatever paperwork he wants to pay for and you can caveat accordingly to show how little testing you have done etc ....... but whatever you do dont issue anything that says the place is safe (satisfactory) to use based on whatever little you have inspected/tested!

There isnt a law but the closest you (or the landlord) can get to a defence on an electrical safety charge is having followed the recommendations/requirements in BS7671. And that only recognises one inspection ---- the EICR --- and you have to have good 'operational' reasons etc... for not following that fully!

Don't get me wrong you can provide for the landlord whatever paperwork he wants to pay for and you can caveat accordingly to show how little testing you have done etc ....... but whatever you do dont issue anything that says the place is safe (satisfactory) to use based on whatever little you have inspected/tested!

There isnt a law but the closest you (or the landlord) can get to a defence on an electrical safety charge is having followed the recommendations/requirements in BS7671. And that only recognises one inspection ---- the EICR --- and you have to have good 'operational' reasons etc... for not following that fully!

Reading that excellent summary,I may need to re think my own attitude to these abuses,abuses which implicate sparks in that process

If you are willing to put your name to a piece of crap, expect the crap to spray back at you!

All these comments make sense, and I agree completely.

But now look at this (reference
Product code:
17DVP)

http://www.niceicdirect.com/epages/...oBasket&LastViewObjectID=5451&ViewAction=View

And there are still plenty around being used and NICEIC documents.

When you ring the NIC they have stopped producing them, and for the reasons all of you have given.

But there are people out there making money from this.
And where is the information that tells the public this kind of cert isnt worth the paper its written on ??
The NIC have stopped producing them, but have they taken the situation to task and informed the public or even sparkies that they are not acceptable.
Im afraid it doesn't look like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with the above. The landlord cert (visual) check is a total waste of time unless its done as a yearly check/update between full EICR's.

This is how I recommend visual inspection reports to landlords. I will not issue them unless I have carried out a full EICR previously. I do see that they have benefit in this capacity, to check the installation between recommended inspection intervals or on change of tenancy. It's better than not checking at all between EICRs, but I will never advocate their use as an alternative to proper testing and inspection.

This is how I recommend visual inspection reports to landlords. I will not issue them unless I have carried out a full EICR previously. I do see that they have benefit in this capacity, to check the installation between recommended inspection intervals or on change of tenancy. It's better than not checking at all between EICRs, but I will never advocate their use as an alternative to proper testing and inspection.

Andy, could you just clear a point up on this.
When the NIC stated they no longer produce the visual certs.
Were they referring to the purple domestic ones or can an approved contractor still purchase them, but on the red format.
In other words can approved contractors still buy them or are they no longer available to domestic and approved alike ??

Guys,

I have rarely used these 3 page documents, mainly because I feel they have little value with regards to doing a professional job.

Sadly plenty of sparkies are covering landlords requirements with these certs.
In my humble opinion, covering the landlords lack of willingness to delve to deeply into there pockets and just have something that covers there proverbial rear end.

Anyway, in a world where you have to find work and feed the family (real world)
We have been offered a long term contract with exactly this kind of work.

Not wanting to turn it down. I phoned NICEIC because they actually produced a written cert on there website/shop catering for this kind of cert.

Apparently, no longer!!
So when the guys using them run out, they wont be able to purchase any more.
The reason given, is that many quick fix boys are abusing there use, and passing them off as cheap substitutes for an EICR. Which clearly they are not.

You can still purchase generic certs from various sources, so I am prepared to cover this work under the following circumstances.

1) Provided an EICR from a registered contractor has been completed within the last 5 years and available for viewing.

2) It is understood that a visual report is just that, and only covers (from my own perspective) limited readings.
Also it is provided on the understanding that it is NOT a substitute for a full EICR.

3) By limited readings I refer to RCD tripp times if applicable. Ze, and random limited earth loops.

Thoughts and opinions most welcome on this one lads,

Many Thanks.
come on Bald..

they cover...as far as it says on the tin..:

that is a visual report.

no substitiute for an ECR...so if its an ECR thats required...then an ECR it is....

Andy, could you just clear a point up on this.
When the NIC stated they no longer produce the visual certs.
Were they referring to the purple domestic ones or can an approved contractor still purchase them, but on the red format.
In other words can approved contractors still buy them or are they no longer available to domestic and approved alike ??

I have no idea. I am not a member of the NICEIC nor have ever used their certs.

well i am..

and i wouldn`t be using any of these `visual reports`...as they aint worth the papaer they are written on...

i mean come on...no values?

I don't use any reports as issued by the schemes. If they can write their own so can I.
As said, I only use them as a supplement to EICR between the recommended intervals. This can serve as a useful annual or change of tenancy check. I only will offer to do them if I have performed an EICR previously. I don't see anything wrong with that.

A visual report instead of EICR however.... never on your nelly would I involve myself in that practice.

I don't use any reports as issued by the schemes. If they can write their own so can I.
As said, I only use them as a supplement to EICR between the recommended intervals. This can serve as a useful annual or change of tenancy check. I only will offer to do them if I have performed an EICR previously. I don't see anything wrong with that.

A visual report instead of EICR however.... never on your nelly would I involve myself in that practice.
sorry Andy but a visual report wont cut it for me on this....

so, for instance you go up newland ave, anlaby road or holderness road...you know its all renteds on them....
trust em not to have been buggerin about with the leccy?

definately a Zs ...at least.....

Guys this is a report in between the 5 year EICR's and on change of tennancy.
Its NOT a substitute for an EICR and we all know that.
The point is they ARE being completed by sparkies in between A full EICR and due to the lesser work for less money. But money never the less.
If you look at the link and read the reports there are disclaimers to the affect that they are visual only.
I suppose they are saying a full EICR isnt due, but due to change of tennancy and as a duty of care. They want a visual check conducted by professionals, rather than nothing at all.
Unless these certs are totally outlawed, and whilst the customer has a choice, they will go for this option.
Otherwise in theory, a new tennant could move in every year, and over 5 years you would be looking at 5 EICR's for the same install.
You may as well say the EICR lasts 5 years so wait until the next one falls due.
Or have a visual done in the interim.
Thats the point. Is there a place for these interim certs or not.
And NO we arent talking about a substitute for the EICR.
Like I said people are making money out of these things, but is there a place for them if used as intended. ???

@ Glenn
Sorry should have been clearer. Annual or change of tenancy, whichever is soonest. This allows for 6 month contracts.
And yes, my self devised reports contain Zs values.

Reply to Visual Electrical Condition Reports are they up to the task ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net