Discuss Voltage Stabiliser in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

No it doesn't, harmonisation is a big myth, nobody has changed anything!

Not strictly true.. Voltage levels vary but the tolerances are the same.
therefore, voltage stabiliser not required, just a transformer

Irrelevant anyway as the kit is rated 230

Last edited:
Not strictly true.. Voltage levels vary but the tolerances are the same.
therefore, voltage stabiliser not required, just a transformer

Irrelevant anyway as the kit is rated 230

Not irrelevant, the kit is rated 220 - 230V apparently and out voltage is 240 -250V in reality. But it does occasionally dip lower so a transformer would drop the voltage too low sometimes. If the machine needs a more stable supply than it has at the moment then a transformer won't cure the issue

Not irrelevant, the kit is rated 220 - 230V apparently and out voltage is 240 -250V in reality. But it does occasionally dip lower so a transformer would drop the voltage too low sometimes. If the machine needs a more stable supply than it has at the moment then a transformer won't cure the issue

im sorry but that is incorrect

im sorry but that is incorrect

Which bit is incorrect?
The machine is rated at 220 - 230V

Our mains supply is normally between 240 - 250V bit dips towards 230 occasionally.

A transformer will adjust the voltage proportionally so will not maintain it's output voltage when the input dips.

Ok..
firstly, our nominal voltage is 230v (+10% -6%), the same throughout Europe.

Voltage dip.. Does the voltage not also dip in Europe or does that just happen in the UK?

Ok..

Voltage dip.. Does the voltage not also dip in Europe or does that just happen in the UK?
wrong, the nominal voltage for new supplies is 230.

it is too costly to swap all supplies in the country to 230 from 240, a lot of machines etc wouldn't play ball

Ok..

Nominal voltage yes, actual voltage no.

Nominal voltage is what the politicians agreed to for whatever reason, actual voltage is what the output of the thousands of substation transformers around the country is. I believe the standard DNO transformer still does give 250V output, but there are other people on this forum who can confirm this.

Yes of course voltage dips everywhere, but that doesn't mean that they don't have to use some form of stabiliser for the machine in those countries.

Nominal voltage yes, actual voltage no.

Nominal voltage is what the politicians agreed to for whatever reason, actual voltage is what the output of the thousands of substation transformers around the country is. I believe the standard DNO transformer still does give 250V output, but there are other people on this forum who can confirm this.

Yes of course voltage dips everywhere, but that doesn't mean that they don't have to use some form of stabiliser for the machine in those countries.
going back a bit for 250 arnt ya? wasnt the last one 240?

i have only come across 252 once

it is too costly to swap all supplies in the country to 230 from 240, a lot of machines etc wouldn't play ball

The nominal voltage for every supply is 230/400
The actual voltage is more like 240/415 although the transformer will more likely be outputting in the region of 250/440 for all supplies, new or old.

230 +10% -6% throughout Europe!

the main reason was for import/export. Trading.
all european electrical equipment is rated at 230v.
check all your stuff at home, appliances, lamps, etc

You are not making any sense
how am I wrong?
you have just agreed saying new supplie are 230
your machine 230/240 comment is nonsense

230 +10% -6% throughout Europe!

the main reason was for import/export. Trading.
all european electrical equipment is rated at 230v.
check all your stuff at home, appliances, lamps, etc

That 230 is a theoretical nonsense, they have not changed the supply voltage in this country, or any other country in Europe.

That 230 is a theoretical nonsense, they have not changed the supply voltage in this country, or any other country in Europe.

That is why the nominal voltage is 230v +10% -6%, work it out..
The voltage across the UK varies significantly, for example in Kent when on an evening they import power from France..

i agree our voltage is predominantly 240v..
i actually base all my current calculations on 240v as this gives larger current values

Reply to Voltage Stabiliser in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net