Discuss Water heater query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help out, my experience in heating is minimal. So house I was working in had a circuit for the water heater, which went to a double pole switch at the water tank. But the water was controlled from a programmer in the kitchen which was supplied from the heating circuit. The water heater circuit is a 16a radial, the heating circuit is a 6A

Ok, sounds like a pretty standard setup of a water tank heated by the boiler normally but also fitted with an electric element as a backup should the boiler fail.

What's your question?

Just want to know how it’s all wired, why there’s a single circuit for the water tank but you can also control it from the programmer which is supplied from boiler circuit

No idea how it's wired without actually being there and looking at it, there are a few ways it could be wired depending on various factors.

The basic setup is that the boiler heats the hot water tank in normal operation, usually controlled by a thermostat on the tank and some form of motorised valve in the pipework.
The electric immersion heater is there as a backup so that you can heat the tank even if the boiler fails, this will normally have a thermostat incorporated in the heater to control the temperature.

No idea how it's wired without actually being there and looking at it, there are a few ways it could be wired depending on various factors.

The basic setup is that the boiler heats the hot water tank in normal operation, usually controlled by a thermostat on the tank and some form of motorised valve in the pipework.
The electric immersion heater is there as a backup so that you can heat the tank even if the boiler fails, this will normally have a thermostat incorporated in the heater to control the temperature.
Thanks mate, not something I have a lot of experience in. But that makes perfect sense

Reply to Water heater query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net