Discuss Water leak and whirlpool bath in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The D

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new on here and have an issue that I'd like some help with please. A pipe was leaking beneath my tiled floor in the bathroom and had been leaking for some time without me realising. I have a whirlpool bath and it stopped working. The leak was fixed and I haven't turned the whirlpool back on at the CU (it has its own RCD). There is also an RCD under the bath, which is what I suspect was tripped in the first instance. I have had some work done in the bathroom and dumb and dumber (my name for the handymen) who retiled the bath panel, have now ensured that there is no easy access to the RCD on the bath. My question is do you think its safe to turn it back on, in the hope that it works? The leak was repaired approximately 12 months ago. I don't see any signs of water beneath the floor now. What do you think?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm new on here and have an issue that I'd like some help with please. A pipe was leaking beneath my tiled floor in the bathroom and had been leaking for some time without me realising. I have a whirlpool bath and it stopped working. The leak was fixed and I haven't turned the whirlpool back on at the CU (it has its own RCD). There is also an RCD under the bath, which is what I suspect was tripped in the first instance. I have had some work done in the bathroom and dumb and dumber (my name for the handymen) who retiled the bath panel, have now ensured that there is no easy access to the RCD on the bath. My question is do you think its safe to turn it back on, in the hope that it works? The leak was repaired approximately 12 months ago. I don't see any signs of water beneath the floor now. What do you think?

Should you not be getting the handymen back to do a proper job?
What do you class as 'no easy access to the RCD'? Did you not think you might need access to this?

Is your assumption that I let them cover over the access panel? I’ve nicknamed the handymen ‘dumb and dumber’ for many reasons. I won’t have them back in my home.

At this stage you do not know if the RCD has even tripped!

You'll need to access it to check.

While you have the bathroom in bits, it is time to relocate that RCD to somewhere that you can get to.

While you have the bathroom in bits, it is time to relocate that RCD to somewhere that you can get to.
If the bath is already on a RCD circuit do away with the RCD under bath switched fused spur /isolator outside zones/bathroom.

If the bath is already on a RCD circuit do away with the RCD under bath switched fused spur /isolator outside zones/bathroom.
Yes that’s a good idea, the only issue is I still have to rip things out to get to it whether to check it or remove it. I should explain, it’s a double ended bath so the nightmare continues. Having said that it may be possible to get to the RCD via the end of the bath. The bath is panelled by tiles. Hindsight is an amazing thing.

Yes it did trip when the leak originally started and the floor as since dried. There was access up until about 6 months ago.

Reply to Water leak and whirlpool bath in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net