Discuss What are you responsible for when carrying out electrical work? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

But rcd for all circuits within a room containing a bath or shower, was
Not sure what edition we are talking, I guess 17th? Even for ELV lighting? Oh dear.
Errm yeha just found it 17th

Regulation: 710.411.3.3​

In specific locations such as those containing a bath or shower it is now a requirement to provide RCD protection on all circuits, including lighting and shower circuits.

Last edited:
Not sure what edition we are talking, I guess 17th? Even for ELV lighting? Oh dear.
Errm yeha just found it 17th

Regulation: 710.411.3.3​

In specific locations such as those containing a bath or shower it is now a requirement to provide RCD protection on all circuits, including lighting and shower circuits.
I was just thinking that 18th edition came out 2018, so before that would be 17th, 3rd ammendment, and 18th introduced rcd for all luminaires. Bath and shower rooms was before that, and sockets that can be used for outdoor equipment was, I guess 16th??

I agree, but seeing as though this is for trading standards i need to give facts, not opinions.
Any reg numbers for being responsible for the CU once work has been carried out elsewhere?
132.16 alterations and additions, you need to be sure that the installation is safe and meets requirements before making additions or alterations.

You WILL be directly responsible for anything you add or alter such as changing switchgear, moving cable around, adding in new circuits (and by ensuring other circuits aren't affected (a loose connection may have come out as you are pulling your new cables in), labelling etc), it can be argued you (as a competent person) will be responsible by proxy for ensuring the client knows that the state of the CU before and after your work, still needs work, that it complies but you HIGHLY RECOMMEND that it gets some care and attention.

By checking all connections after you've completed yours and advising that client of best practices, making the aware of any deficiencies in previous workmanship then as far as Reg 29 goes you're cover.

You went above and beyond your work to ensure your work hasn't negatively impacted the existing installation, you've made them aware of the present requirement for nonflame propagatibg materials and suggested some improvements, the rest is done to them.

@HappyHippyDad ...... My first thoughts on this aren't about the electrical in's and out's, it's about covering your own arse for any opinions you provide as this is borderline 'professional witness' territory. You need to have 'beyond reproach' qualifications and experience, insurance for professional indemnity.... etc. Saying this as a professional mate, not having a go! Overall, I'd say this was a job for a Scam engineer or a professional CEng.
I agree with above. It is getting into "expert witness" territory and will soon become that.
Presumably Trading Standards have asked for a report because they are considering taking legal action.
If that is the case, and they do, HappyHippyDad you'll likely be asked to be their expert witness, given you did the work that led them to take action. They won't want to pay someone else to do the same work over again!
With that in mind, there's guidance from the Justice Department on preparing an expert witness report (link below - see just section 3.2)

Obviously you are not at that stage now, but it might help picture what might ultimately be required.
I think the report requires narrative text to describe to non-technical people, in plain english, the "situation", your credentials, what you've been asked to look at, what you have found, along with your EICR as an appendix, not as the main deliverable.

Fortunately I've never had to attend court as an expert witness, but I've seen it can be a distressing experience. The defence lawyers job is to discredit an expert witness in whatever way they can, and the fact we're discussing this, and the technical issues here, may have already created a problem if the scenario I described at the start actually plays out 🤔.

On the other hand I may be overly paranoid, and all Trading Standards want is a quick opinion, and not anything further 🤪

Last edited:
Ok.. I'm now wishing I'd said 'no' 😄
I've written up and sent a report in layman's terms, siting regulations where required. We'll see what happens and I will update.

Regarding the fixed partition -
The shower has no basin, therefore zone 1 extends to 1.2 metres from the fixed water outlet and further out from the partition (there is no zone 2)
as shown in the diagram on page 243 of the wiring regulations:

What are you responsible for when carrying out electrical work? 16466120366834567653241477712047 - EletriciansForums.net

701.55 Current-using equipment -

In zone 1, the list of permitted equipment includes ventilation (fans), but not washing machines and tumble dryers.

Last edited:
@HappyHippyDad are you at this job on behalf of trading standards etc, or is it because you have flagged up something or was there already?

I'd be very wary of getting involved in this, as a minimum check your Indemnity Insurance. Post #20 from @Rockingit has all that needs said about it though.

Personally if it was me, I'd pass on it

Another grey area with the regs….

Since when does a domestic shower have a “fixed” water outlet?
Ok, some do, but the majority are on the end of a flexible hose and can be orientated all ways.

If you’re going to say “I can put this here because it’s outside the zones”….. then check whether the shower is fixed or not.

Why have I just noticed someone wearing glasses in the OP picture?? 🧐
I swear they weren’t there before.

Ok, some do, but the majority are on the end of a flexible hose and can be orientated all ways.

If you’re going to say “I can put this here because it’s outside the zones”….. then check whether the shower is fixed or not..
I thought exactly this! Wonder if IET will ever put a note there about WHERE the fixed point is in relation to showers with hoses and not fixed heads? Some will argue the FIXED point is out the bottom of the shower unit (excluding hose and head), some will save it's at the shower head itself and should include the shower head and hose - this in effect will destroy the 2.25m limit on Zone 1 as (and I'm sure we've all done it as kids; if you point thr head at the ceiling, you can easily 'make it rain' by saturating the ceiling and enjoying the raining effect 😅.

If you’re going to say “I can put this here because it’s outside the zones”….. then check whether the shower is fixed or not.

Why have I just noticed someone wearing glasses in the OP picture?? 🧐
I swear they weren’t there before.
The fixed water outlet appears to be the drain, not the shower head. See the picture I posted in #26.
From the actual regs book...

I'm sure we've all done it as kids; if you point thr head at the ceiling, you can easily 'make it rain
Your mother must be so happy with you….

The fixed water outlet appears to be the drain, not the shower head. See the picture I posted in #26.
From the actual regs book...
A drain is not an outlet… unless your plumber isn’t very good.
Many shower trays have their drains toward one corner rather than central anyway.

That’s why I said it was a grey area.

Your mother must be so happy with you….

A drain is not an outlet… unless your plumber isn’t very good.
Many shower trays have their drains toward one corner rather than central anyway.

That’s why I said it was a grey area.
Ok let's call it grey but apply your own engineering judgement; in that absence of any guidance, what is your engineering judgement telling you? The regs say we can call on it so do.

Reply to What are you responsible for when carrying out electrical work? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock