CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss What do I need to wire these lights? in the Lighting Forum area at


Reaction score
Welcome to - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I have a old cabinet radio from 1941. I am in the middle of resleeving and replacing wires and capacitors.

In the mean time I would like to be able to use it as a giant night light. The radio has for lights on it and I am trying to figure out what i need to wire the lights to a socket to plug it in.

The bulbs and socket are single wire like and old car radio. 16232748808213238429068531058716.jpg

Lucien Nunes

Reaction score
Those lamps are typically fed from the tube heater winding on the power transformer, often 6.3V although other voltages are possible. As you say, that type of lamp socket uses the chassis as the return connection. One possibility is to wire the feeds to the four lamps together, independently of the heater circuit, and power it from an external 6V power adaptor or wall wart. The negative of the wall wart output would connect to the chassis.

Reply to What do I need to wire these lights? in the Lighting Forum area at