Discuss what exactly will 2330 give me? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
i'm in my 3rd and final year of C&G 2330. when i visited the college 3 years ago the course was sold to me as being THE course to do and at the end of the 3 years i'd be walking away with 16th edition (at the time), inspecting and testing qualifications and everything.when i ask my current tutors about this i'm getting conflicting answers. some will say that i'll have to do a 17th edition course even though i'm learning to the 17th edition (this being the first year of this edition) and that i'll have to do the 2391 inspecting and testing course. another tutor tells me this is bollox and according to the NICEIC once i've passed level 3 i'll be considered by law as a "competent" person and therefore will be able to inspect , test and commision etc. does anyone know exactly what is what as the testing side is something i fancy doing most. what exactly does 2330 give me and allow me to do?:confused:

To be able to test and inspec you need to have your 2391. Although you do some testing at college i think the 2391 is more advanced? Im in the same boat as you last year at college and we have to do the 17th edition. Its unfortunate but its not the college fault.

Hi, I have just finnished my 2330 level 3:D. Even though you are being taught to 17th edition, you will still need to do the regs course. Once you pass your level 3, you will be able to do the 1 day update. As far as the 2391 is concerned, you dont get that with the 2330, but as you will know level3 is mainlly about test and inspection, you may well be competent, but most firms still like you to do the 2391, to prove you are capable.

It does mate, the old course which people done before the 2330, did not go into to much the T+I, the 2330 level 3, does a good job of getting you to understand T+I side. And when you do the 2391 you allready have a good knowledge base to start from.

If you complete your level 3 2330 then your 17th edition and join a part p competent scheme then you will be a competent person who can test your own work anyway. simples

It does mate, the old course which people done before the 2330, did not go into to much the T+I, the 2330 level 3, does a good job of getting you to understand T+I side. And when you do the 2391 you allready have a good knowledge base to start from.
Actually mate,i did the 236-2 with the AM2 back in 1987,and i can remember back that far doing inspection and testing,fault finding and fault diagnosis on a rig in the classroom.A lot of the Regs have changed since i did it,but i think you'll find that the principals were the same as the 233 course you are doing;)

Part P.Isn't that one of those 2 day wonder courses people do then pretend they are Electricians

Part P is NOT a course ! its an approved doc ! Part P=Electrical safety in dwellings etc.
1st jan 2005 !
Think you are mistaken with the domestic installers course ! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Part P.Isn't that one of those 2 day wonder courses people do then pretend they are Electricians

Iive just got my part p competent scheme with elecsa, ive also got my levels 1& 2& 3 2330 and my nvq level 3 and 17th edition.

So trust me its no 2 day wonder course you actually need it if your working on domestic premises :rolleyes:

I've heard conflicting things about it.My tutor says it's a pointless course.What extra does it teach you then and how long is it

thanks

There are a lot of people that have from start to day one of self employment after assessment have spent around £5K the way i see it is if anyone who for what ever reason cant do the full electricians time served route because of etc age/family so money isnt enough/mortgage etc etc takes the time to try and get into this ind as a domestic installer and trys to learn as well as working legally (quals etc) gets my vote !!! fare play for the dedication the ones people should be moaning about/tagging off etc are the people down the pub etc who will do electrical work for silly money and testing isnt included their idea of testing is switch on if works jobs a gudden ! ive done plenty and even if i live till 120 will still be learning ! ive also done the domestic installers course as i pref domestics just my bag really ! and still need to pay the dues for assessment from NIC/ELECSA etc its been a right pain and costly but needs must so what im saying is dont paint every person doing/have done a domestic installers course with the same brush there are some knowledgable guys out there who are domestic installers as well as a couple of time served wallies who god knows who they paid for their quals !

I've heard conflicting things about it.My tutor says it's a pointless course.What extra does it teach you then and how long is it

thanks

I suppose your tutor is more qualified than the people who make the rules and bodies etc IEE/NICEIC/ELECSA/NAPIT/BUILDING CONTROL etc etc its NOT pointless if your just starting off mabe if your time served and say JIB etc then i dont think you should have to do it or the onsite assessment ! if you havent done the domestic installers or fully qual etc then onsite assessment = yes BUT if you have done the course or fully qual then that should be enough ! if your NOT comp then you WONT pass the course/courses your assessed on install,inspect,test,knowledge etc on your course and WONT pass if you dont make the grade so why should you then PAY £450 for some guy to say your comp ? ITS A RIPOFF to qualified people ! nothing more nothing less ! onece your qualified the way i see it is you ARE qualified to work and sign off your work ! full stop !
BUT i dont make the rules SO just goes to show NOT everyones OPINIONS are right.
Regards
Kung.
:D:confused:;):eek::mad::rolleyes::cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry kung I don't mean to rubbish it.If I knew there was a quick way into it,I would do it as well.
At my age 35,I also don't have the time to spend 4 years doing a course L3,2391 etc..that I may not pass
and have no guarentee of a Job at the end of it.Not sure if I want to work on a building site anyway,and don't feel I have the laddish attitude to fit in like they do

Sorry kung I don't mean to rubbish it.If I knew there was a quick way into it,I would do it as well.
At my age 35,I also don't have the time to spend 4 years doing a course L3,2391 etc..that I may not pass
and have no guarentee of a Job at the end of it.Not sure if I want to work on a building site anyway,and don't feel I have the laddish attitude to fit in like they do

Thats ok m8 everyone is entitled to their op ! the part p was brought in to try and stop cowboys and deaths/accidents caused by shoddy electrical installs of course this isnt as perfect as it sounds as theres NO policing it and the dodgy guys are still out there ! it is however a good way for someone to get into the industry in domestics and for people who want/pref to work in domestics it suits me as i have lots of mates who work in metering and get offered work all the time so its a good op for me to give them a few beers and me to be in constant work onece ive joined a scheme that is !
Regards
Kung.

One last thing.

Will the domestic installers course equipe you to do the 17th and 2391?

The domestic installers course wont hurt as you are using the bs7671 2008 17th and onsite guide also you are doing some test/inspection but might be better for 2392 first unless you have lots of exp in test/insp of multi phase ! the 17th ed is an easy course just using the regs and for 2391 if you do have multi ph exp you will reff guidance note 3 as well if not do 2392 first although you dont really need 2391 for upto 100A the 2392 will suf as its a newish qual designed for people wanting to insp/test installations upto 100A.
Regards
Kung.

Hi, I have just finnished my 2330 level 3:D. Even though you are being taught to 17th edition, you will still need to do the regs course. Once you pass your level 3, you will be able to do the 1 day update.

Is this anywhere in writing on the JIB site? Once we finish our L3 in a few weeks were all under the impression that we will have to do the full 17th at a cost of about £500.

My mate obtained an electrical labourer JIB card years ago and neve renewed it after the first year. Now, all he does if his asked to prove his worth is show his expired JIB card with all his certs so far and the company he works for normally bumps his money up.....His words not mine!

Ive just completed my 2330 level2, ive also done the 2377 Pat and doing the 2393 Regs qual, The college i study in have offered me a part time job in the workshops as of sept, they are going to push me through my Level 3 in one year!, ive been told that on the level 3 they teach 85% of what you would need to sit the 2392 Fundamental Inspection & Testing Cert and 85% of the 17th Edition, so what they do is to add on some hours in the week and teach that extra 15% needed and give students a shot at the 2392 and 17th exams, as far as im aware the 2391 is not a part of the Level3, however if i can come out of 2 years study with 2330 L2, 2330 L3, 2393, 2377, 2392 and 17th, i will be a very very happy man, especially at the age of 36!

Reply to what exactly will 2330 give me? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net