Discuss What Is A Qualified Supervisor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've just been reading through the ELECTROTECHNICAL ASSESSMENT SPECIFICATION FOR USE BY CERTIFICATION AND REGISTRATION BODIES (file:///U:/eas-15-362%20(1).pdf) and I was unsure if a 'qualified supervisor' is the same as a 'competent person'?

If you are a sole trader and need to sign work off do you have to be a 'qualified supervisor' or is this some kind of higher role compared to a domestic installer or competent person?

I'm just a bit confused by all the terminology!

Hi Steve a QS is usually the person that checks and signs the certificates and makes sure everything is filled out correctly, so you can have acompany with 20 sparks but only need one guy to check all certs . Unless it;s changed.

Just to add if you're a sole trader you will be the QS

@happyhippydad This probably explains it better, Take me for example I have 3 lads on the books but only one is my QS but I am the PDH ( principal duty holder ) Also you can have more than one QS it just costs more money but allows more staff to deal with the paperwork and the annual assesment.

Attachments

• PDH-QS-Guide-10-15.pdf
    308.2 KB · Views: 20
Thanks a lot Glenn. That's interesting, looks like I am the QS then!

I keep threatening to do the Level 3 but finding the time to even think about it is difficult enough. Having read through the link I put in the first post it looks as though you need to have level 3 now if you want to APPLY to a scheme to sign off work. It's not retrospective though so those who are already with a scheme are exempt (for the time being!) Does this sound correct?

Yeah you need level 3 Steve.

Thanks a lot Glenn. That's interesting, looks like I am the QS then!

I keep threatening to do the Level 3 but finding the time to even think about it is difficult enough. Having read through the link I put in the first post it looks as though you need to have level 3 now if you want to APPLY to a scheme to sign off work. It's not retrospective though so those who are already with a scheme are exempt (for the time being!) Does this sound correct?

They get round the level 3 by doing the 1 day 2393 level 3 part P building regs course.

I've just gone through scheme approval and they happily accepted my 2365 Level 2.

(Yep, I have full plans to continue on my learning beginning with the 2365 Level 3 starting next month - just registered with a scheme so I can do some of the notifiable stuff I am competent with and start to build things up)

Re the level 3 @happyhippydad I was talking about Approved contractor, if it is just for messing someone's plaster up with ya Scutch chisel then level 2 will probably do .:mamazed:

Re the level 3 @happyhippydad I was talking about Approved contractor, if it is just for messing someone's plaster up with ya Scutch chisel then level 2 will probably do .:mamazed:

Perhaps so, although when I phoned up to apply for DI he asked me whether I wanted to go AC and assured me that my qualifications were enough for this.

Perhaps so, although when I phoned up to apply for DI he asked me whether I wanted to go AC and assured me that my qualifications were enough for this.

You;re probably right pal, it's just when we joined they wanted level 3 but it's probably changed now.

You;re probably right pal, it's just when we joined they wanted level 3 but it's probably changed now.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it was changing back so level three was going to be the requirement again - not sure if there's any truth in this or what the timescale would be (it's not the sort of thing you can change over night).....

Reply to What Is A Qualified Supervisor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net