Discuss What should I do in this situation of poor and incorrect wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

@OP. whereabouts are you? maybe a local member could help. a professional assessment of the install is recommended.

From what I understand she didn't ask for the plumber to do the electrics the person overseeing the project did and she wasn't aware that the plumber had done it and it was only by chance that she found out about what had gone on. From what I understand she wouldn't have allowed the plumber to do the electrics if she had been aware he was going to.

They have used a wire with red insulation and at another point a brown wire both of which are neutral wires. There is a Live wire as well where the insulation is blue coloured.
So wait...they've used the lives as neutrals and neutrals as lives??

There's some "A" class smart A@$&S on here! How many customers are even aware of the need for testing & certification? They just want the job done. If a plumber says he can do it then most of them will not even give it a second thought! This forum is becoming more & more unpleasant every time I visit it!!!
You are correct, there are some "A" class smart A@$&S on here. But as one of them I sincerely believe that defending customers for getting the plumber to do the electrics is about a stupid a post as I've ever seen on this forum, so have a dumb. Oh and thanks for the return dumb, (not there yet but anticipating one in retaliation).

Rocky, if the forum is not to your liking then feel free to not bother coming back at all. Nobody coerces you into visiting.

I'm sure you'll be missed greatly though based on you last post.

Sadly you have made matters worse in that you have worked on the installation changing to a junction box. So if you went to trading standards the persons who did the original work will say it is not their work someone else has worked on it. You may be in the frame instead of the rogue traders. As you say you are not qualified you may put yourself in the way of prosecution and your friend as he is responsible for ensuring electrical work is undertaken safely at law. So it may backfire spectacularly! First, never involve yourself in this manner and tell your friend unsafe work may leave him open to prosecution. His insurance will be void in the event of an electrical fire or someone being harmed through his cavalier approach as well as prosecution and difficulty selling the house. Sheesh!

Not the best advice saying that insurance will be void. As a retired RDS fire fighter and now as a volunteer fire support worker , i see many electrical fires , only last week a householder lost their roof due to down lighters fitted by the house owner caught fire . The insurance is paying up and relocated them whilst the roof is being replaced.

Insurance is a big world and best left to advisers and lost assessors to fight out.

IMG-20161130-WA0001.jpg

due to down lighters fitted by the house owner caught fire
You may well be right I certainly agree with what you have stated. However the case you have quoted the house owner was acting perfectly legally and entirely within building regs notification requirements. While I also agree that was an overstatement and maybe should have read, ...may have insurance implications... I will be more careful of my wording in future.
However I do have some reservations regards your statement in that it may suggest to a wider audience reading this thread that even if you do, or someone does negligent electrical work it is ok as insurance will pay out. Personally I would not take that as a given fact. I would tend to more suggest to err on the side of caution and at least consider or consult with the insurance company prior to say as a plumber, undertaking electrical work. The legal underpinnings of the regulations and statute around electrical work are somewhat complex and lack of compliance to the aforementioned can be a legal minefield.

You may well be right I certainly agree with what you have stated. However the case you have quoted the house owner was acting perfectly legally and entirely within building regs notification requirements. While I also agree that was an overstatement and maybe should have read, ...may have insurance implications... I will be more careful of my wording in future.
However I do have some reservations regards your statement in that it may suggest to a wider audience reading this thread that even if you do, or someone does negligent electrical work it is ok as insurance will pay out. Personally I would not take that as a given fact. I would tend to more suggest to err on the side of caution and at least consider or consult with the insurance company prior to say as a plumber, undertaking electrical work. The legal underpinnings of the regulations and statute around electrical work are somewhat complex and lack of compliance to the aforementioned can be a legal minefield.
The plumbers public liability certainly won’t cover him....

I’d love to hear that conversation between homeowner and insurance company - “you’ve installed down lights - and you’re not qualified - and you’ve not tested them - and then they’ve caught fire and burned your roof - yes, that’s no problem at all, fully covered by your buildings policy”.

I’d love to hear that conversation between homeowner and insurance company - “you’ve installed down lights - and you’re not qualified - and you’ve not tested them - and then they’ve caught fire and burned your roof - yes, that’s no problem at all, fully covered by your buildings policy”.
Noooooo! I didn’t do it I let the plumber do it!

How many customers are even aware of the need for testing & certification
I must say a lot more people want certification nowadays and are aware of the need to have it. I would say at least 60% of domestic customers ask for it, and certainly all commercial require it.

Please tell us that they are being prosecuted for putting their family and the firefighters lives at risk?
I doubt it Davesparks, when i was afire fighter i didnt think much about it , turned up , done what i was told to do and went back to the station and back to work.
Now as a Redcross volunteer for the Fire and emergency service support, i get more involved with sign posting to other areas, its amazing what insurance companies will pay up on and equally amazing what they dont.
Called out this morning at 04.10, house flooded due to home owner changed the main stop cock over the weekend , i just spoke to the insurance lost adjusters , they have already oked the claim, the home owner is not a plumber, so technically not qualified.
Its a case by case situation, good lawyers , smart lost adjusters etc etc.

Please tell us that they are being prosecuted for putting their family and the firefighters lives at risk?
And for me this is the crux of it. Though any loss is devastating, losing a life or serious life changing injury is far more devastating than any material loss. Dodgy tradespeople and no nothing d.i.y'ers don't appreciate the possible implications of their actions.

For example, I'm multi skilled but I'm not gas qualified, so even though I could install a gas boiler to a decent standard, I wouldn't do so. I would employ the services of a good experienced gas engineer. I wouldn't put lives at risk, regardless of how confident I was that the boiler was installed correctly. I haven't the qualifications or the knowledge to satisfactory test the boiler to ensure it is 100% safe to use.
Electrical installs should be treated with the same respect, for the same reasons - people's lives could be put at risk.

The registered electrician for the project came round to finish off some other jobs, it was mentioned to him the bad electrics and he said its not worth worrying about.

After he finished the work on another part of the house I inspected the electricians work (although didn't do anything to it) and if anything the electricians work was done worse and more dangerous than the plumber's electrical work.

The registered electrician for the project came round to finish off some other jobs, it was mentioned to him the bad electrics and he said its not worth worrying about.

After he finished the work on another part of the house I inspected the electricians work (although didn't do anything to it) and if anything the electricians work was done worse and more dangerous than the plumber's electrical work.

I wonder if he's prepared to stand up in court and say this (my bold) when somebody gets injured or worse.

Reply to What should I do in this situation of poor and incorrect wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net