Search the forum,

Discuss What size/gauge cable should I use? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. I need to run a cable from a 50amp circuit breaker in my house to another circuit breaker box I am installing in a garden shed (about 20 metres). This 2nd circuit breaker will then connect to a 3 pin socket which will provide power to my new adjacent hot-tub shed to run the filter pump & heater. The user manual for the filter pump/heater says "220-240V AC, 50HZ, single phase, 2050 watts at 20degrees C.
Can someone please advise what type/gauge of cable I should use to connect up the 1st circuit breaker to the 2nd circuit breaker and then from the 2nd circuit breaker to the waterproof 3 pin plug?
Thanks

While it might seem as simple as your post suggests with a hot tub involved there are other factors to be considered such as the supply type / earthing method, installation method for the cable. For your own safety and the safety others you may be better getting an electrician in to advise you

This work falls under Part P and is notifiable.
Do you mean you are fitting a CU in the shed and not just a circuit breaker?
As above, what installation method are you using for the cable?

Hi
I have tried for months to get a qualified electrician in my area. 6 not interested/too busy, 2 turned up to quote and never heard back! Losing faith in the electrical indusry.
Good job I'm not like this with an ambulance.

Thanks for the reply but we would need answers to the above questions for us to help you more.
Or maybe someone here on the forum might be interested in doing the job.

I have tried for months to get a qualified electrician in my area. 6 not interested/too busy, 2 turned up to quote and never heard back! Losing faith in the electrical indusry.
I understand your frustrations... took me almost 4 months to open a bank account recently ! Anyway... as already advised, if I were you, I'd persevere with finding an electrician to advise you on this. There are some serious consequences of getting it wrong.

Hi
Good job I'm not like this with an ambulance.
I'm wondering if you have found 8 "electricians" who felt the job was taking them out of their depth

Reply to What size/gauge cable should I use? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net