Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss What sizes of heat shrink? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LJK

Hi,

Could someone please advise me on what size (diameter?) of heat shrink is best to go over the red, blue and yellow insulated crimps for use when extending 1, 1.5, 2.5 & 6mm T&E? Also what size heatshrink would you put over the lot to cover the 3 staggered crimps, inner cables and the grey outer sheath. Thanks in Advance.

Lee

Hi Pete, this is not for an actual job. Just looking to buy some in so that I have it when needed.

Thanks Richard, so if I was to get 2:1 in the sizes listed as "usable i.d." for the cable sizes above, would these still fit over the insulated red, blue, yellow butt crimps? Also what size grey heatshrink would you recommend to go over the top of the 3 crimped cables? Thanks,

Lee

I wouldn't heat shrink full stop. I swear by SA tape! A far more more effective method of insulating as it is watertight, bombproof and most importantly fulfills the requirements of insulation in the fact that it has to be destroyed to remove it. Heat shrink is quite easy to remove or peel back without destruction.

Also, to address your main concern, you don't need to carry around loads of different sizes of heat shrink.

6.4mm 2:1 heat shrink will just about get over red or blue crimps and just close down to the cable insulation.
Similarly 9mm 2:1 will work for yellow crimps.
12mm 3:1 heat shrink will (if you have staggered the crimps) fit over the lot and shrink to the sheath.

Reply to What sizes of heat shrink? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net