Discuss What tester /printer etc would you buy for PAT testing ? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I never got into it at all ! But ...have been offered the chance to carry out some testing that would make it worth me buying a nice kit . I want to be FAST so pref have a printer for the stickers and to do all the paperwork via a ipad etc . so some form of template software . Happy to buy second hand via ebay etc etc. Just want a system that does the job well .

Depends what you are testing. Fast isn't always best, and filling in the sticker takes no time with a Sharpie.
On the other hand, if it's a huge job and you need an inventory and asset number for every item, maybe the software will help you keep track of everything...but it's not easy to speed the testing much if it's a thorough job.

Go for one with a downloadable memory. Paperwork can be done back home and you don't have to write every items details down. For easy use my preference would be a 2nd hand Seaward Supernova (plus or elite) or Kewtech kt77 (both same O/S but kt77 more compact). Very easy to use menu system where you don't need to remember any codes. The Megger 4xx range is another nice, easy to use unit. The Fluke 6500-2 is nice looking, has a great carry case but is not the easiest of units to operate. The menu system is, in my opinion, rubbish. I would steer clear of the Metrel Omega/Beta/SigmaPat models unless you are very good at remembering which code does what or enjoy spending ages scrolling through menus. The old Megger PAT4 is another that I would avoid. I'm not a fan of the old Robin units either.
Personally, I would go for a Seaward Supernova Plus or Elite. Very reliable units, does both 240 and 110, downloadable and very easy menu system. You can pick them up on a certain auction site for around ÂŁ60-100. Only two downsides. They are heavy and have a RS232 interface so can't plug direct into modern laptops/PCs. A USB to RS-232 interface is around ÂŁ5 and if you need the download software I can supply that free.

Go for one with a downloadable memory. Paperwork can be done back home and you don't have to write every items details down. For easy use my preference would be a 2nd hand Seaward Supernova (plus or elite) or Kewtech kt77 (both same O/S but kt77 more compact). Very easy to use menu system where you don't need to remember any codes. The Megger 4xx range is another nice, easy to use unit. The Fluke 6500-2 is nice looking, has a great carry case but is not the easiest of units to operate. The menu system is, in my opinion, rubbish. I would steer clear of the Metrel Omega/Beta/SigmaPat models unless you are very good at remembering which code does what or enjoy spending ages scrolling through menus. The old Megger PAT4 is another that I would avoid. I'm not a fan of the old Robin units either.
Personally, I would go for a Seaward Supernova Plus or Elite. Very reliable units, does both 240 and 110, downloadable and very easy menu system. You can pick them up on a certain auction site for around ÂŁ60-100. Only two downsides. They are heavy and have a RS232 interface so can't plug direct into modern laptops/PCs. A USB to RS-232 interface is around ÂŁ5 and if you need the download software I can supply that free.
Cheers ! Any opinion about Kewtech KT 71/72 units ?

Both the KT71 and 72 are reasonably basic and non downloadable. That means you have to write up the results in whatever report you will be sending out. I've never used either unit myself though.

I'm playing with a Seaward 100 primetest unit . Friend ;et me have for the weekend .Its a simple nice unit .But does not store ! The value of the work is the daily amount been offered . Its not going to be that often ...but wonder if i invest in a downloadable unit or just write quicker ??? !

The Seaward 100 is a very basic, entry level tester. If you are going to do a lot if ISITEE (it's nolonger called PAT but nearly everyone still calls it that) then you will soon outgrow its capability. Non downloadable units will mean you either need to carry a tablet/laptop and enter the info as you do the test or you have to write everything down and type it in later. I don't do much testing these days but when I do I know I can just rattle through it all, get back home/hotel, download and email straight to the office.

The one thing I really don't like about a lot of the cheaper models is the earth bond is only tested at a max 200mA.

Reply to What tester /printer etc would you buy for PAT testing ? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net