Discuss What the hell has happened to the 18th edition course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So I decided to do my 18th edition after needing to renew my ecs card and they wouldn’t until I Did it.

My company decided to put me on the 4 day course becuase they thought it had a higher pass rate and they said they will go through the book and exam questions better

Well I’m into day 3 and the guy has literally just read the book out from page to page with a 400 slide PowerPoint giving a guide on main points on each page, has not gone through a single mock question yet and has said he won’t until just before the test. £699 to have a guy read to me for 3 friggin days?

Is this what the course is like nowadays, the 17th I did had about a day of going through the main points of the book and then doing mock exams while explaining the answers ?

The course will be tailored for electricians that maybe don’t have a grasp of the basics such as yourself.
I’ve seen older guys walk out because they couldn’t get their heads round some calculations.

I’m pretty sure my own 18th was just a day, but I’ll have to check.

The Regs courses in the past were for plumbers, hvac guys and handymen to get a basic grasp of what they should be doing when the do minor electrics around peoples homes

Would have expected some example questions as part of the course. I'm sure mine did.

End of day 3, the guy finally finished reading out the book and ended with “right go off and revise it’s your test tomorrow”, not a single mock question has been given out yet. I’ve literally just had someone read me a book for 3 days, I could have just done the one day course. Half the class are nervous it becuase they haven’t done any practice for the test, I’m doing an online mock test now

Some personal favourite lines over the 3 days

He called led lighting a “brand new thing coming into homes now and taking over normal lights”

Said electricians have changed to only taking a single cable to lights and the rest to switches because “it’s hard for an electrician to run 3 cables to a ceiling”

And my absolute favourite

Said that rooms with baths or showers and swimming pools are classed as special locations because people are naked there.

I cant wait for the course evaluation form tomorrow but something tells me there won’t be one

We were given a book on the one day course for the 18th. It went through the sections asking questions all the way through that you had to answer. Pretty intense day but passed though. It was good reading questions then thinking about it and referring to the BBB and helped with getting to grips with the new stuff in it. (£199 btw)

End of day 3, the guy finally finished reading out the book and ended with “right go off and revise it’s your test tomorrow”, not a single mock question has been given out yet. I’ve literally just had someone read me a book for 3 days, I could have just done the one day course. Half the class are nervous it becuase they haven’t done any practice for the test, I’m doing an online mock test now

He called led lighting a “brand new thing coming into homes now and taking over normal lights”

Said electricians have changed to only taking a single cable to lights and the rest to switches because “it’s hard for an electrician to run 3 cables to a ceiling”

Said that rooms with baths or showers and swimming pools are classed as special locations because people are naked there.

I cant wait for the course evaluation form tomorrow but something tells me there won’t be one
All 3 points I actually agree with.

maybe the led a brand new thing I’d say isn’t so new.

being naked in a room with water is definitely a consideration as to the reason behind being a special location.

I also agree with the taking the loop in system to the switch rather than the light as a lot of switches now require permanent neutrals.

a 3 day course is a good idea for some. others would be ok on the one day course. Your employer thought you needed the 3 day course. That’s not the lecturers fault.

surely going through the regs book is a nessesity in preparation for an exam on how the use the regs book in question.

As I said the regs course is not to teach a sparks how to suck an egg but to teach wet pants how to wire a basic new circuit safely without blowing themselves or the house up

As I said the regs course is not to teach a sparks how to suck an egg but to teach wet pants how to wire a basic new circuit safely without blowing themselves or the house up
you mean like educationg pork? it don'ttell them how to do anything. it
just tells them what the regulations arein force at the time.

So I decided to do my 18th edition after needing to renew my ecs card and they wouldn’t until I Did it.

My company decided to put me on the 4 day course becuase they thought it had a higher pass rate and they said they will go through the book and exam questions better

Well I’m into day 3 and the guy has literally just read the book out from page to page with a 400 slide PowerPoint giving a guide on main points on each page, has not gone through a single mock question yet and has said he won’t until just before the test. £699 to have a guy read to me for 3 friggin days?

Is this what the course is like nowadays, the 17th I did had about a day of going through the main points of the book and then doing mock exams while explaining the answers ?
If you think that's bad never go to uni. £9k a year 'tuition' to have someone powerpoint a few pages from a book at you and then you're on your own.

If you think that's bad never go to uni. £9k a year 'tuition' to have someone powerpoint a few pages from a book at you and then you're on your own.

You had a particularly poor uni lecturer from the sounds of it. Believe me, there are some good ones.

It's like anything, there will always be bad apples out there on all job types.

You had a particularly poor uni lecturer from the sounds of it. Believe me, there are some good ones.

It's like anything, there will always be bad apples out there on all job types.
That is literally what a lecture is - someone reading at you from a screen. It's not the lecturer, it's lectures themselves, that's literally what they are. Trust me when i say uni 'tuition' fees are going towards basically nothing.

That is literally what a lecture is - someone reading at you from a screen. It's not the lecturer, it's lectures themselves, that's literally what they are. Trust me when i say uni 'tuition' fees are going towards basically nothing.

A good lecturer does not just read things at you verbatim. Where did you go to uni?

Are you also saying that teachers are basically just people who read PowerPoint slides to kids?

I feel you will be upsetting anyone in the teaching profession with your comments.

A good lecturer does not just read things at you verbatim. Where did you go to uni?
I've been to three different unis, three different subjects and had over a dozen different lecturers. My wife has also been to two different unis on two different subjects and my father in law is a lecturer.
Are you also saying that teachers are basically just people who read PowerPoint slides to kids?
University lecturers are not teachers. When you start uni they specifically and explicitly tell you that you're there to do your own learning.
I feel you will be upsetting anyone in the teaching profession with your comments.
?‍♂️

I've been to three different unis, three different subjects and had over a dozen different lecturers. My wife has also been to two different unis on two different subjects and my father in law is a lecturer.

University lecturers are not teachers. When you start uni they specifically and explicitly tell you that you're there to do your own learning.

?‍♂️

I must have been lucky. The lecturers at my uni were very helpful and provided a lot of guidance. They also were involved in the practical side of things.

That course sounds bloody awful!
If you didn't pay for it yourself then I guess you're no worse off financially, just a bit brain dead.
I pay for my updates, so I just do lots of past exam papers a few days before, brush up on the one or 2 actual changes with any new edition and then just pay for the exam. It really is a doddle.
Come on then, tell us honestly what mark you got?

Last edited:

Large lectures are pretty bad. It's just some person spouting lots of information and you write it down as quickly as possible. Smaller lectures are better as you get to have some discussion/debate. You also have tutorials at university which are even smaller, I seemed to learn most from these. This is just my experience from one pretty poor quality college in Swansea, but also Nottingham University which is pretty good. This was all 20 years ago though, I expect things have changed.
Even the big lectures are more involved than just reading out a book though.

Reply to What the hell has happened to the 18th edition course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock