Discuss whats causing volt drop? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

buill

hi i havint worked as an electrician for a good few years and a problem im having is wrecking my head. I came home last night and my lights seemed dim and where flicking (just put it down to bad weather) but when i turned my cooker on all my lights went out. after pulling the house apart i cannot find any problems. The fuse board looks fine no scortched or melting cables or anything , all connections are fine so what could the problem be? it isint on a circuit because any load on any circuit causes voltage to drop --the kettle drops the voltage from 230u to 63u and with the cooker also effecting voltage it couldint be the rcd so what could the problem be?? at the moment im thinking problem with supply but I have never com acros a problem with supply like this. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS BEFORE I CALL SUPLLY COMPANY? THANKS

Sound like you have a loose connection somewhere, if it affects multiple circuits (it sounds like it does) then probably a common N or L terminations ... this could be on the DNO's side or the customers side, check the tightness of the terminals on the main switch, check the outgoing buspins are located on the correct side of the terminal clamps. If you were an electrician then I'm sure you will know how to do this safely and have the appropriate tools.

If its a loose wire on the DNO's equipment like the cutout or your energy provider like the meter then you may have to get them out.

PS - loose terminations etc don't always appear visually obvious but overtime they will, when you load up a poor termination it heats up creating high resistance and the voltage will drop, this is exactly what you are experiencing on different circuits so this is why I suggested it a common L or N to multiple circuits hence the suggestion the main switch or N bar connection etc could be suspect.

Last edited:
already checked all connections are tight and correct checked the consumer side of the meter every thing seems fine on my end the only thing i havint done is swaped the main 63A fuse holder in case that was faulty but thats unlikly im thinking its where my house is connected onto the mains the house was only connected 3 years ago and it has been windy so am hoping but if i call them out i wanna make sure my side of the circuit is right.

Just remember a tight termination screw doen't alway mean a good connection, sometimes the buspins and cable end up on the wrong side of the clamp and you need to get your head under the main switch and breakers to visually confirm this, it could even be a faulty switch.

Last edited:
Mmeasure the voltages on the incomer. L-N and L-E using an analogue meter. any discrepancy will give you a clue.

Agree with the above double check your side first... It might be worth dialling the suppliers number sometimes they have automated message informing of any known issues in the area..

Had same issues in this area where theres overhead supplies down one of the lanes in the village , the supply is looped from house to house and a new build further down now gets a volt drop when off per hours come in and 2 of the houses have storage heaters ...

Wouldn't be touching that, its not yours to swap.

Not sure he means the DNO cutout here, plenty houses have a switch/fuse after the meter for connection to when ready especially recent connections.

The OP needs to switch the kettle on and check the voltage as far upstream as he can if its dropping before the consumer supply side then its DNO issue or his provider, its relatively simple to confirm where approx' the fault is if its on the consumer side by loading a circuit up and confirming voltage at various points.

Last edited:
I think he'll have plenty of time with the voltages he's getting to the element .. 63v don't boil your water too fast on 230v kettle ;)
haha. a bit like a camping stove. put the kettle on for a brew and you got time to go the pub for a couple of pints before it boils.

k had the utility company out it was on there side there it was hi inductance coming from supply. it was a damaged connection 20 meters from my house up a pole so was fixed without cost. :)

hi inductance coming from supply
Whilst a series inductance would cause the voltage to sag on load, I doubt this was the cause as it doesn't just appear by itself. Do you think they just meant high resistance?

Whilst a series inductance would cause the voltage to sag on load, I doubt this was the cause as it doesn't just appear by itself. Do you think they just meant high resistance?

Just what I was thinking!
Daz

Reply to whats causing volt drop? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net