Discuss When is the 19th edition coming out? - British Standard BS 7671 (updated) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
According to the IET, Amendment 2 to the 18th Edition is being released in March 2022:

June 2025 now apparently - Edit Dan. For those who are landing on this old page. Thought I'd update it.

I have heard some rumors the 19th Edition will be released later this year. Does anybody know if this is true?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very much doubt it if 2nd amendment only out in March.

Haven’t got a complete list of publication dates, but it was 3 years between 17th Edition, amdmt 3, and the 18th coming out.

that was a rip-off if ever. the 16th came out in 1991 and lasted till 2008. I think somebody woke up the IET and they decided as it was 17 years old was time coincidentally for 17th.

that was a rip-off if ever. the 16th came out in 1991 and lasted till 2008. I think somebody woke up the IET and they decided as it was 17 years old was time coincidentally for 17th.
And the 16th was available as a loose leaf option and the updates cost around £20

I recently bought a copy of BS7430 (COP for Protective Earthing of electrical installations). £289 (£144.50) for 88 unbound loose binder pages, of which probably a dozen are the credits and references!! It's insane.

I recently bought a copy of BS7430 (COP for Protective Earthing of electrical installations). £289 (£144.50) for 88 unbound loose binder pages, of which probably a dozen are the credits and references!! It's insane.
I often wonder how they come up with the pricing of these documents, I did ask someone who sat on one of the committees that were behind one of the BS documents if the price was reflected in how much coffee and biscuits were consumed during their meetings

I think you will find that the people who sit on these committees have nothing to do with the pricing structure of the final document of how it is formatted, it's probably all down to the accounts/publishing section of the authority concerned.

Am I right in thinking for each new amendment you have to get a full set of the latest books and re sit an exam? I originally thought you just had to do this for latest edition and not amendment? That's some cash cow if so

Reply to When is the 19th edition coming out? - British Standard BS 7671 (updated) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net