Discuss The new Landlords' EICR requirements. The law says that everything must now be to 18th Edition! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sorry I clearly upset you but to answer the 2nd part of your message with regards to maintenance and upkeep on properties with rental income. If it’s your property in question then surely the rent covers your mortgage? With the capital investment do you mean spending money to maintain the property when things go wrong? Think that also applies to your 3rd point of property management surely if it’s your property you have to expect to pay out £££ to keep it habitable and safe for tenants. Same applies to homeowners when things go wrong or need upgrading got to pay the costs.
I am in no way upset but your attitude appears to be landlords are making a lot of money so you will happily relieve them of some of it for totally unnecessary work to upgrade their rental properties electrical installations every few years as the regs change or are amended so should a homeowner be expected to do the same.
If you look at it from a different angle the EICR you carry out is ultimately paid for by the tenant, if the installation using your methods needs updating to meet the latest regs or amendment every couple of years the tenant will ultimately pay for it with an increased rent
The capital investment is the buying (either outright or with a mortgage) and any refurbishment of the property prior to letting it out, the maintenance, certifications, insurances and letting agents costs are annual expenses. With the capital investment is normal for a landlord to want a return on that investment otherwise the money could have been left in the bank although it is difficult to make much return on deposited money at the moment
Having seen some landlords loose a lot of money because a tenants idea of habitable is something akin to a pig sty and the landlord then having to spend £000's refurbing before it can be let again at the market rent for the area it can take a good while before there is any return on the cash the landlord has invested.
To use any comparison to a homeowner and the maintenance of their personal property has no relevance in this conversation in my opinion as they are two totally different cost models

That’s irrelevant I’ve been made out to be disgraceful for recommending consumer unit change when I don’t charge no where near the amount that is charged by most sparks £350 plus vat. Actually I’ll tell you I will change a standard consumer for £200 labour but before I upgrade if any faults Or unsatisfactory results arise after change that will be bit extra what about you?

Is the fact you are cheaper than other sparks any justification for the change of a consumer unit on an EICR
So at £200 + materials you are not that much cheaper if at all when compared to £350 + vat all in.

Ah right well I get “slagged off” for recommending consumer unit upgrades and it seems like you took it personally when I said it’s disgraceful for amount some sparks charge for couple hours work. Well next time you’re in South Wales (valleys) let me know and we can have a tidy chat over a pint hopefully ? ?

Ahh another case of misinterpretation again, at what point were you "slagged off" isn't it amazing how some take constructive criticism of their methods or interpretations to heart

The problem is that electricians are expected to apply the standards uniformly, imagine the backlash from the rental sector if the electrical industry said only an installation compliant with the 18th edition was acceptable on an EICR for a rental property or any property for that matter it would make a lot of properties unrentable or unsaleable overnight and create a lot of negative publicity with electricians being tagged rip off merchants when the installation is still considered good for continued use

Ah right well I get “slagged off” for recommending consumer unit upgrades and it seems like you took it personally when I said it’s disgraceful for amount some sparks charge for couple hours work. Well next time you’re in South Wales (valleys) let me know and we can have a tidy chat over a pint hopefully ? ?

Down the Wyndham Arms maybe ?

It's not irrelevant if you're going to slag off "the amounts charged by electricians for couple hours work". However you can value yourself as low or highly as you like.

I work across a large parts of Midlands, Wales and South West England but rarely the SE or London.
Down the Wyndham Arms maybe ?
haha not too far from there actually next valley over ?

If they ask you for a standard pir, then you are OK.

I suspect however they will ask you for a report in accordance with the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector as this is what they must obtain.

In which case you should be inspecting to those standards.

In the past i have carried out inspections to various standards, the easiest mistake to make is to reference the wrong standard!
The rental regs say the wirng must meet the 18th. The 18th says any wiring to previous regs is ok. (unless its become dangerous) Therefore a water main earth of loop impedance around .3 ohms to the 14th edition is ok. All this talk of people being dragged through the courts is the stuff of fantasy. There has already been 1 amendment to the 18th, soon to be 2. One of which is to be foundation earthing. So these experts on here are telling us that if your flat 20 floors up built in 1999 is non compliant? Ludicrous.

I don't think it says that UKPN, just that the property must have a valid EICR.
Not read the exact reg, just the various interpretations of it.
From the Statutory Instrument:

"electrical safety standards” means the standards for electrical installations in the eighteenth edition of the Wiring Regulations, published by the Institution of Engineering and Technology and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2018(5);

"electrical safety standards” means the standards for electrical installations in the eighteenth edition of the Wiring Regulations, published by the Institution of Engineering and Technology and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2018

"electrical safety standards” means the standards for electrical installations in the eighteenth edition of the Wiring Regulations, published by the Institution of Engineering and Technology and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2018(5);
It does get complicated and messy doesn’t it we all hear/learn different parts/interpretations of the regs. I always code and classify to current regs which is what it should be. I’m sure I’ve read on here mentioning if it’s not a new install then the old edition complies because it was installed at that particular date and is different to current regs.

I agree with Andy78 & Littlespark.

To take your example re support of cable in escape routes. Are you saying that if you tested a property designed and installed to the 16th and found a noncompliance you would deem it satisfactory, but if you went next door to an identical situation but that it was designed and installed to the 17th amd 3 that would be unsatisfactory?

As Andy says, you test to the current regs then report.
Also how would any tester know if cables in ceiling voids had any clips let alone 18th metal clips. The EICR does not require any electrician to start lifting floors.

Also how would any tester know if cables in ceiling voids had any clips let alone 18th metal clips. The EICR does not require any electrician to start lifting floors.
Old thread, but you’re right.

However the EICR form states that no voids such as attics or under floors have been inspected. Any other limitations can also be listed.

You can only take test meter readings, and visual inspections on unhidden cables.

I’ve been on a job where I lifted a board to expose metres of rodent stripped t&e…. Had been like it for years…. But as it was undisturbed, readings were well within spec.

A little extra job for me to replace the damaged sections, but couldn’t tell if there was any more in other parts of the house without lifting more floors.

Reply to The new Landlords' EICR requirements. The law says that everything must now be to 18th Edition! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock