Stroma Certification Scheme 18th Edition email from Stroma

Discuss 18th Edition email from Stroma in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Then you missed the chance to learn how to clip PVC/PVC cables correctly, and make it look like a professional tradesman did it, proper job it was in those days, not just a case of bashing a plastic clip in, now way can you make today's clips look nice.
Trouble is, these days you are expected to do a new install in 1 day :p

Chaps you should start reading the draft, and making comments on the draft.

For example re plastic clips, in the draft it says (521.10.210) 'Note 2 this regulation precludes the use of non metallic clips or cable ties as the sole mean of support where cables are clipped direct to exposed surfaces or suspended under cable tray, and the and the sole means of support of the cables therein.'

The addition of an earth rod 'may be' used....

Get reading and get commenting, save just sounding off here. You never know, if they get enough comments, they might realise how ridiculous some of their suggestions are :)

Chaps you should start reading the draft, and making comments on the draft.

For example re plastic clips, in the draft it says (521.10.210) 'Note 2 this regulation precludes the use of non metallic clips or cable ties as the sole mean of support where cables are clipped direct to exposed surfaces or suspended under cable tray, and the and the sole means of support of the cables therein.'

The addition of an earth rod 'may be' used....

Get reading and get commenting, save just sounding off here. You never know, if they get enough comments, they might realise how ridiculous some of their suggestions are :)

I can't currently figure out how to view it. The BSi portal does not have BS7671 under drafts when I go there. Do you have a working link ?

Right ignore that, I'm back on it through strange means. It does not appear on the portal but I found a link in a google search.

@Midwest Reg 542.1.201 states that there shall be an earth electrode supplementing any earthing facility provided by the distributor. Not may be.

So are they basically saying that the onus on providing a good earth connection moves from the DNO to the owner of the installation?

No. The DNO are not currently required to provide an earth connection as far as I am aware, just to maintain one they have provided.

This supplementary earth electrode is just that, supplementary, and additional to any other provided earth arrangement. Consider it akin to bonding.

This has been talked about for years at the IEE/IET and Paul Cook of the IEE produced an interesting paper on it over ten years ago with many people suggesting not long after that the 18th Edition should clarify/include this. Whether it will be clarified is debatable. I can see the benefit for lost neutral problems with TN-C-S systems as it would reduce the touch voltage should this occur.

Right ignore that, I'm back on it through strange means. It does not appear on the portal but I found a link in a google search.

@Midwest Reg 542.1.201 states that there shall be an earth electrode supplementing any earthing facility provided by the distributor. Not may be.

Not sure which bit you can't locate, I used this link from IET; 18th Edition of BS 7671: send us your feedback - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/64/dpc/index.cfm
then 'log in' below Comment on. Whatever way you do use, when in the BSI web site search for - BS 7671 - (need the space between BS (&) 7671).

Stand corrected Andy. Edit, just reading 421.1.7 about AFDD's, is where I got me wires crossed, with 'may be' written there :oops:

In any case it needs further clarification, as alluded to by the many comments. I get side ways looks from my customers, when I suggest their bonding needs upgrading, when replacing a luminaire for them. They are going to think I'm a right rogue, when I spend half a day putting in some new earth rods :)

Not sure which bit you can't locate, I used this link from IET; 18th Edition of BS 7671: send us your feedback - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/64/dpc/index.cfm
then 'log in' below Comment on. Whatever way you do use, when in the BSI web site search for - BS 7671 - (need the space between BS (&) 7671).

Stand corrected Andy, have 'may be' in my notes, but see that it is 'shall be'. Must of had too many Gins :oops:

In any case it needs further clarification, as alluded to by the many comments. I get side ways looks from my customers, when I suggest their bonding needs upgrading, when replacing a luminaire for them. They are going to think I'm a right rogue, when I spend half a day putting in some new earth rods :)
There might be a few gas pipes/ water pipes getting hit in the process of installing earth rods because we all do a risk assessment before hand and acquire the location of the services don't we??;)

There might be a few gas pipes/ water pipes getting hit in the process of installing earth rods because we all do a risk assessment before hand and acquire the location of the services don't we??;)

Have to say in the last few years, I haven't had to put any earth rods in. Would be a bit nervous in most small domestic properties, with the myriad of underground pipes etc. My son's having a small extension done, it's been put back a few months, by two discovered unrecorded drainage pipes. :eek:

They better proof read it this time as after spending that sort of money I expect it to be correct you wouldn't buy a DVD to watch just to have to keep ejecting it to play another insert to revert back to the original you'll soon want a refund.

Reply to 18th Edition email from Stroma in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net