• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Which downlights do you use? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I saw your man Savery using these on one of his videos
never used them myself, but i like the fact that you have switchable colour output (and dimmable, if you must...)
anybody used these?
£3 more than JCC V50, which also are dimmable (and have 2 temp. settings, not 3). and is bezel inc. in price?

Im looking forward to trying out the Aurora-EFD Pro claim to have push fit terminals and be insulation coverable within LED lamp. Anyone used them ?
I've used these a number of times. Generally, they seem well made, and tick all the right boxes, being insulation coverable. I did have problems on one occasion with the push fit piano key terminals - in 3 out of 8 units, the earth terminal wouldn't grip the cpc, so had to swap the terminals for wago 224s. PITA. But have had no problems since, so I assume it was just a bad batch.

Try to use cans where possible just because I had a bad experience when we installed a load of intergrated fittings to a large open plan barn some years back...
They were the old Halers (7 year guarantee) but they started failing just after a year. It caused such an issue as the design changed.

Im looking forward to trying out the Aurora-EFD Pro claim to have push fit terminals and be insulation coverable within LED lamp. Anyone used them ?
Nice I will have to check them out. Has anyone used the Aurora A One System yet?

I think most manufacturers do switchable colour temp versions now. I don't really see much call for them myself as I discuss light colour with the customer before ordering.

Very handy to keep one on the van on a plug top as a sample for illustrating light colour temps.

The brand I use, KSR, made one that switched colour by rocking the light switch but it was a bit glitchy. I think other manufacturers offer similar solutions.

Nice I will have to check them out. Has anyone used the Aurora A One System yet?
I haven't personally tried it, I did go to along to a training course put on by the local wholesalers but personally I cant see myself installing it.
IMO It's just another Zigbee system, which every manufacturer is churning out at the moment. It has it's own hub but it is pretty basic and doesn't offer much connectivity, so you can only program basic scenes using it however, as its Zigbee you can use a Samsung smart things hub, and open yourself up to more customisation with things like IFTTT and voice control.

Trouble is if you go that route your rules/scenes/triggers are cloud based saved in your Samsung account, your 100% reliant on the internet.
In my personal experience the general customer that wants this is the techy DIY type, the Philips Hue fan, the type that slowly wants to expand their home with more and more cheap chinese wireless switches, the type that wants to connect it to Amazon Alexa or google home assistant and show their friends their colour changing strip pulsing to the music.

As an installer its my worst nightmare, a load of DIY devices all reliant on one another the internet, and a 3rd party hub.
Amazon might decide to update their API one evening and all of a sudden the customer has lost voice control until IFTTT or the Samsung smarthings hub has updated their software. Great! the first person they are going to ring is the poor sod who installed it.

For this reason, I'm not sure where it fits in the market, what sort of people would I would sell this too and would I want to be going back to peoples properties for years on end everytime something stopped working.
I'm not interested in that customer. I'd rather use a tried and tested system, after all These systems all targeted the DIY market so they can keep them.

Of course that's all my own opinion, it might be a great system, but for now, I'll stick with Quinetic for cheap wireless switching, for higher end I'd rather stick with Rako or Lutron or Loxone.

If white bezels are ok with the customer then I have been using the Enlite spryte 8w. as Andy78 says, if checking and showing customer beforehand then you know the requirements.
The sprytes come in warm or cool white, dimmable or not. Comes as a complete unit with 600mm twin flex and I stick a 20amp quick connect (greenbrook) so all my first fix is done and left above ceiling.
For more light they also do a 10w which is larger in diameter but gorgeous, i've done a lockdown swap out in my house and appreciate the look and the light.
If a customer wants a metal or chrome bezel I use JCC V50 or the KSRs.

If white bezels are ok with the customer then I have been using the Enlite spryte 8w.
These are quite nice, however I'm not sure they are fire rated, they are great in places that dont need fire protection but work out more expensive (with hoods) then others.

Try to use cans where possible just because I had a bad experience when we installed a load of intergrated fittings to a large open plan barn some years back...
They were the old Halers (7 year guarantee) but they started failing just after a year. It caused such an issue as the design changed.

Not tried the Aurora ones but I use Ansell Edge, which are also push fit and insulation coverable (with a £0.40 attachment) and decent guarantee. They are excellent and from about £4.50 each.

Reply to Which downlights do you use? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back