Discuss Why do we do it the way we do in the UK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes. There will be an "on/off" control switch outside the door.

I, ve not heard that particular take on it myself. I do know that this method of installation is becoming increasingly more common. I also think that most 40/50 amp isolators are not adequate for 10mm.

Yes someone approved this method as the isolators were obviously giving trouble but they were mistaken

Sure look if it gets passed

The UK single row boards are just that little bit easier than the 2 row boards to do a neat install

You'd wonder then about the benefit of doing anymore then letting the wires just drop vertically to the mcbs and bars at the bottom

Looks better when they're all bunched and concealed but is there much
real benefit on a 2 row board

The UK single row boards are just that little bit easier than the 2 row boards to do a neat install

You'd wonder then about the benefit of doing anymore then letting the wires just drop vertically to the mcbs and bars at the bottom

Looks better when they're all bunched and concealed but is there much
real benefit on a 2 row board
I, m OK with either. Key thing is having sufficient space. I was initially going to install a 3 row in order to Co form with new height regs (215 cm to top of highest mcb), but it looks monstrous. I tried a few different formations and the one on the picture with the 3 compartment trunking is what I, m happiest with.
The upside to the new arrangement is no more earth and neutral bars clung to ceilings. You can struggle to get a screwdriver horizo tally in to some busbar. I also like to use the 2 spare compartments in the trunking as, possible junction boxes. Strictly speaking you should, nt join any cables in the DB(though I must confess I sometimes do)

I, m OK with either. Key thing is having sufficient space. I was initially going to install a 3 row in order to Co form with new height regs (215 cm to top of highest mcb), but it looks monstrous. I tried a few different formations and the one on the picture with the 3 compartment trunking is what I, m happiest with.
The upside to the new arrangement is no more earth and neutral bars clung to ceilings. You can struggle to get a screwdriver horizo tally in to some busbar. I also like to use the 2 spare compartments in the trunking as, possible junction boxes. Strictly speaking you should, nt join any cables in the DB(though I must confess I sometimes do)

Its all good I reckon apart from the single pole rcbos on the Hager board

A step backwards I reckon

Do your regs specifically prohibit any joints in a consumer unit then?

One other change too now I remember , we.were on 4% installation volt drop

We've changed to the UK system of 3 and 5v for lighting and sockets if I'm not mistaken

If cables will physically make it into the CU during a renewal I think it's better to extend within the CU than introduce an additional enclosure.

I don't remember ever hearing of this unless it's new

The rule was always there for no joints inside trunking, that would be basic good practice anyway

I'm sure they have the exact same in the uk

Inaccessible joints then have to be maintenance free , I'm sure they have the same in bs7671

Never heard anything bout DBs unless its new

I don't remember ever hearing of this unless it's new

The rule was always there for no joints inside trunking, that would be basic good practice anyway

I'm sure they have the exact same in the uk

Inaccessible joints then have to be maintenance free , I'm sure they have the same in bs7671

Never heard anything bout DBs unless its new
What I mean is - when an old fusebox is replaced with a modern Consumer Unit it's common to find that several of the existing conductors will be too short to reach their new terminals comfortably. So I can't see any issue at all with extending these conductors within the new CU enclosure, anything else would just be an unnecessary waste of time and materials ?

Do your regs specifically prohibit any joints in a consumer unit then?
No they don, t. I checked the regs and all the relevant guidance notes and found nothing to back up my (incorrect) understanding that it was prohibited. So I waited for my most recent inspection last week (same guy who instructed me not to do it originally) and asked about the reasons for not using connectors in the CU. Was told that that "was no longer required". Oh well.... Am still going to use my 3 compartment trunking to drop from the ceiling to the DB though. Enjoy the look of it

Reply to Why do we do it the way we do in the UK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net