Search the forum,

Discuss Wireless - energy & PV monitoring unit in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

glbell

Hi ive been looking on the forumn for a PV monitoring unit.

Here is my requirement
What wireless energy monitor can do ALL of these 3 things and ALL be SHOWN on the display together.
1. Current panel production (eg. panels currently producing 3.3KW)
2. Net available PV electricity (eg. 3.3 minus 2kw kettle = 1.3KW available)
3. Grid Usage (eg. what I am drawing from the grid) so when i have a new available PV this should show zero 0

The only monitor that I can see fits the bill is below (but I wouldnt be able to build it) - Any other options?

Open Energy Monitor:

I am using an OWL monitor to show net available but its not great as not bi-directional. I assume I could get another and show what grid USAGE is, so when GRID reader is 0(zero) I can always assume the value on the current display means available.??
Any thoughts would be great or options ?
thanks Graeme.

Wireless - energy & PV monitoring unit

Graeme, the Elios4You can do what you need, and more, and accurately....drop me a PM with your email/phone and I'll send you some info if you like?

Had you thought of the Wattson Solar Plus Easifit,

that also does all three jobs as well

Hi Snoop dog - thanks for that
Ive had a look at the Wattson pdf but I cant see how it does what im looking for .

I want to be able to see all 3 values - PV yield/Net available/Grid usuage all on 1 screen at once - I done want to have to flick through different modes

Have I got it wrong ? thanks

The HPS Energy Monitor and Management system does all this and a lot more including switching several appliances with surplus solar only and will soon be controllable via the web from anywhere. HPS Monitor image.png

PS. My registration failed and I have had to re register so lost my valuable history and awaiting moderators to resolve! I am not a new member.

Last edited:
@Solarfred - you used that for a multiple phase, multiple immersion install if I remember rightly :) . I don't belive it is propotional, however you can program devices in a cascade type configuration - good it you have LOTS of surplus.

Correct it is not fully proportional but then for the money it is doing lots of other things and is not trying to be the Immersun which has just the one function but has immersion switching as part of it's functionality. You can set the threshold to bring on any device including the immersion before the full amount of surplus is available so that you are not wasting say 3kw as you can set it to come on at 2kw or 1kw and ensure you are using that surplus. (or install smaller elements.) When it goes on the internet you will be able to control the connected devices from anywhere.
The multi phase installation was using a lot of surplus (27kw) but it is quite happy turning on a domestic appliance with 250 watt surplus or a lamp for a lot less.

Reply to Wireless - energy & PV monitoring unit in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net