Discuss Wireless stat to wired timeclock in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

mark80

-
Reaction score
I'm looking to add a wireless room stat to my own heating system at home. I'd prefer to keep the hard wired clock, but add a wireless thermostat as we are just using the temp control on the boiler ATM and I don't like it. I'm just wondering if I could wire the RF receiver for the stat, after the time clock, so it is basically only switched on when the timeclock is timed to come on. I didn't know whether this would lose the memory on the RF unit each time the clock is turned off as I think they are meant to be wired with a permanent live. Only really ever deal with hard wired stuff, so don't know whether they can be mixed or not. Don't really want to add a conventional room stat in, as the other half doesn't want any mess!

Keep the receiver next to the boiler so you can pick up a 230v supply, then wire your clock and receiver in series. I.e a 3 core flex (mains) and a 2 core for switching, or just a 5core flex. Wired straight from the boiler to new receiver

For example switching side, 2core flex from receiver to boiler, disconnect one leg of clock connect one core of the flex to clock, Then other core of flex goes to the disconnected original clock cable........

only hassle maybe be youl need to find out if ur clock is 230v or voltage free and make sure receiver is the same, although I think most aftermarket controllers do both, but if they are to switch 230 you need to stick an extra link in. But don't get it wrong or youll be needing a new pcb

Thanks for the replies. The timeclock is 230v and that was the idea to wire it in series with the clock. I had a look at some wiring diagrams for some wireless units and it looks like you can remove a link and supply both a perm live and switch live to the RF unit, then the output from it is volt free to the boiler. The boiler itself is a Baxi HE combi.

Reply to Wireless stat to wired timeclock in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net