Discuss Wireless switching in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.
I've got a question that hopefully someone will give me a dead simple answer to.
I've come across a few houses on a local estate (built I the early 80s). They all have an issue with two way switching of landing light. It appears that the light has not been wired correctly so that when the light is switched on from downstairs it cannot then be turned off from upstairs.

I want to rectify this but customers do not want walls chased out or floorboards lifted and most are nicely decorated.

I'm sure there must be a wireless solution to this. Can anyone recommend a good quality product that is easy to fit and operate. (These people do not want switching via wifi/smartphone) . It needs to look similar to conventional light switch style ie not a remote control option.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Have you checked the wiring and determined exactly how they are wired and what the fault is?
How many wires at each switch?
Are they ex L.A houses built using prewired systems, maybe just a connection in a junction box is wrong.

You'd need to understand exactly how they are wired in order to provide a different solution, in doing that you may find a simple fault causing it.
Have they always had this issue?

Have you checked the wiring and determined exactly how they are wired and what the fault is?
How many wires at each switch?
Are they ex L.A houses built using prewired systems, maybe just a connection in a junction box is wrong.

You'd need to understand exactly how they are wired in order to provide a different solution, in doing that you may find a simple fault causing it.
Have they always had this issue?
This was a problem pointed out initially by one customer who had just moved in. So I haven't yet had chance to check if it's just a fault or perhaps caused by someone changing the accessories and making a mess of it. I was hoping this was the case because then it should be easy to fix.
But then I found that an electrician had been in next door to sort out exactly the same issue. He opted to convert the light to work off a remote.
Then yesterday I got a call from someone on the same street who also had just moved in and had found the same issue.

It is possible, I suppose, that the switches have been wired incorrectly by the same person. And that it can be rectified without changing the fixed wiring. But I think its unlikely given that 3 houses have the same issue.
So I'm just thinking ahead and wondering if there was a wireless solution if it turns out that the fixed wiring is wrong.

If course I will investigate fully soon. But at the moment I'm just trying to think through a solution if it turns out they are indeed wired incorrectly.

Cheers

I’ve just replied to a very similar thread.... had to check it wasn’t a duplicate post.

It seems strange that a number of houses have all got the same fault, so I believe this is by design. (Or installed incorrectly in the first place)
You might get lucky and find it’s in conduit and there’s a nice straight pipe in between switches for an extra core or two.

Let us know how you get on after a site visit, and remember pictures speak a thousand words (we like photos)

I’ve just replied to a very similar thread.... had to check it wasn’t a duplicate post.

It seems strange that a number of houses have all got the same fault, so I believe this is by design. (Or installed incorrectly in the first place)
You might get lucky and find it’s in conduit and there’s a nice straight pipe in between switches for an extra core or two.

Let us know how you get on after a site visit, and remember pictures speak a thousand words (we like photos)
I'll let you know when I've had chance to fully check it.
Seems a bit weird that three houses have the same issue.
If it was wired during the housing boom of the 80s then I suppose anything us possible!

Was also wondering if originally the landing light had the borrowed neutral issue. And someone has decided that the circuits need to be separated so has disconnected the feed to the downstairs switch and instead fed it from the upstairs switch thereby separating the circuits but cocking up the two way switching.
Sorry- just racking my brains to try and understand how it has happened and how it got signed off by the housebuilder originally.

These are not LA houses by the way.

Quinetic is also the quickest and easiest way to get a multiple switching system operational especially if different levels are concerned.

GB posted at the same time, beat me too it.
Now you've got me thinking back to all those pain in the butt jobs where I struggled to get new wiring to where I needed it. Wish I'd known about these switches earlier. Never mind. It'll make future jobs easier. Great for bathrooms too by the looks of things. No more worrying about correct zones etc for the switches.
Is the 200,000 switch max operations an issue. I suppose you just end up replacing the switch modules.

Another vote for Quinetic from me...solves lots of problems, especially multiple switches for 3 storey houses with landings and intermediates and plaster you don't want to disturb.

Is the 200,000 switch max operations an issue. I suppose you just end up replacing the switch modules.

Definitely for one of the six I installed, used it to test all the location and shown it to everyone and their dog that passed.

Must have gone through 100,000 presses just playing.?

I previously installed "Homesure" wireless switch's, but they required a battery in the switch to work, the problem with them I found was the receivers did not last longer than about five years, the switch was also not very positive in its response, replaced them about three years ago with Quinetic and they have lasted and been easier to use ever since, have to say I would consider using them even in a new build, but in a renovation they must be the most favourable switch to use.

I previously installed "Homesure" wireless switch's, but they required a battery in the switch to work, the problem with them I found was the receivers did not last longer than about five years, the switch was also not very positive in its response, replaced them about three years ago with Quinetic and they have lasted and been easier to use ever since, have to say I would consider using them even in a new build, but in a renovation they must be the most favourable switch to use.
I looked at homsure too, but was put off by the requirement for a battery. The quinetic product looks a better bet. Would also be great if they did them in the popular decorative finishes like satin and chrome including the grid modules.
Just did the quick back of smoke packet calculation and yes...... 200000 actuations is roughly 55 years at 10 operations a day. I'll definitely be back in the van by then!!

Reply to Wireless switching in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net