Discuss Wiring a switch for 240v reversible capacitor start hoist in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Esinem

I just bought a 2nd hand Leuropea HE200 electric hoist for a DIY project but the control switch is missing. The motor is a reversible 240v single phase with a capacitor start. I'm wondering how to wire it up?

I have attached a circuit diagram I have draw up. I hope it is self-explanatory. My question is how should wires A1-A5 be connected?

As my project won't require a cable remote, I plan to use a surface mounted rocker switch. Suggestions for a cheap and cheerful solution appreciated.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• scan0001.bmp
    171.6 KB · Views: 192

Thanks. I'm sure it would if I were more techie but I'm having trouble relating it to my diagram.

I'm guessing A5 is the feed for 'Up' as it has a limit switch and thus A4 would be 'Down', and A1 switching between to give reverse? Then, a kill switch (normally closed) between A2 & A3, given that's live? Or have I got it all wrong and it will end with a flash and a bang?! :confused:

the capacitor on a single phase motor is used to start the rotation. if its the sort of motor i think it is, the n/c limit switch is in fact a centrifugal switch, ie once rotation begins it opens and drops out the capacitor.
what i think you have here, i would connect live to A1, neutral to A2 (thats how coils are connected, but probably wouldnt make a difference here), and i believe by moving your missing switch from one position to the other simply reverses polarity starting the motor in the other direction.
you got any more info??

@pmac10 No, the limit switch isn't centrifugal. It is an arm which is actuated by a collar on the hoist cable. When it gets to the top of travel, the collar lifts the arm and disconnects the microswitch: EUROPEA, professional hoists for building industry, hoists for hobby As you can also see, the control station has an up, down and kill button.

All I can say is that A1 was live and A2 was neutral based on the old cabling's colour codes. Although, there is no guarantee that was right as there are oddities like a green/yellow cable going to live and colour changes within a run! Does what I suggested above seem correct, if I swap live and neutral? I'm assuming the kill switch will go in the live line?

yeah sounds spot on, a lot would depend on the internal connections of your missing switch, the a1,a2 etc labeling has thrown me a bit as they are coil labels, motor connections are uvw,xyz even on any single phase motors ive encountered, is it possible relays are used to connect power to the motor??
i would suggest just connect and try it momentarily see what happens, if you get the movement you want, try it again but operate the limit switch manually before the collar reaches it to see if it stops the motor.
whats the worst can happen?;)

@pmac10 Yeah, sorry, it's my ignorance of naming conventions. I just made up those tags. I think I just caused confusion by using letters and numbers. I'm certain there are no relays. The control station (judging from the pic in the link) looks fairly standard, an up, down & a kill button. The seller is sending me the old one, which was cut off 'cos the kill button had fallen off. Hopefully, all will become clear.

The worst that can happen? Well...It looks like the colour coding of the control station wiring is all messed up. One of the cables that was yellow/green, wasn't an earth, for starters. That could have led to some shocking results :)

@THE DUKE Fantastic! Even I can understand that. Yes, there's only a limit switch on the up movement. I'm actually going to use it like a capstan to pull a length of rope through so it wouldn't work anyway but I'll add an emergency stop button on the power side of the up/down.

Thanks all. Cyber-beers all round.

Hi People it's the first time for me using a forum as i'm new this type of information. I have a rocker switch which is used in my 240 volts hoist. My problem is here, I bought a device wireless so I can use the Hoist from distance. My question is here, which how to connect the out of the device with the hoist. The rocker switch when pressed in one direction allows current to flow from point 2 to point 3 and from point 5 to point 6. When pressed on the other direction current flows from point 2 to point 1 and from point 5 to point 4. How can I solve this since I have only 1 output from my device. Sorry for my English

Reply to Wiring a switch for 240v reversible capacitor start hoist in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net