Discuss Wiring a wall light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kentadam

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all. I’m trying to wire the attached wall light in which has a switch. All I have is one wire coming out of the wall with a live and neutral. How do I wire the light fitting and the switch to form a circuit? There are two wires coming from the switch and two from the unit itself. Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• 66C133F8-9C18-496A-B861-2795EBC5E497.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't look suitable for connection to be honest. Is there any provision to earth the metal body of the light ? And is there an earth wire emanating from the wall where you will connect to ?

Hi Adam - I’m hoping the existing cable has an earth wire, perhaps it’s been cut short (?) - can you take a pic of the cable emerging from the wall? To make the light work you are going to need to join a few conductors, do you have any connectors?

That doesn't look suitable for connection to be honest. Is there any provision to earth the metal body of the light ? And is there an earth wire emanating from the wall where you will connect to ?
Hi Andy,
There isn’t an Earth coming out of the wall just a live and neutral. I can’t figure out how to connect it all together. I can wire it so the light is permanently on but can’t figure out how to make the switch work.
[automerge]1574693739[/automerge]
Hi Adam - I’m hoping the existing cable has an earth wire, perhaps it’s been cut short (?) - can you take a pic of the cable emerging from the wall? To make the light work you are going to need to join a few conductors, do you have any connectors?
Hi
Yes I’ve just found the earth. It was cut short. I have block connectors?

Hi Andy,
There isn’t an Earth coming out of the wall just a live and neutral. I can’t figure out how to connect it all together. I can wire it so the light is permanently on but can’t figure out how to make the switch work.
It would be dangerous to connect up a metal light fitting without it being earthed in this case. It certainly does not look as though it complies with safety precautions for class 2. It doesn't look as though it has been made for use in this country.

I echo Andy's advice here that has not been produced for safe use in the UK. The plate should have an earth terminal at least and the switch mechanism looks highly for want of better words, Mickey Mouse. I would suggest not fitting it just does not look safe.

echoing the advice above, from the picture alone, it looks unsafe for use under uk standards.
where did you buy it from? and did it come with any instructions?

if it was a uk retailer then they should be ensuring it is safe for use before selling it.
If it was an ebay special, then I am afraid its a case of you win some & loose some.

Reactions: DPG
echoing the advice above, from the picture alone, it looks unsafe for use under uk standards.
where did you buy it from? and did it come with any instructions?

if it was a uk retailer then they should be ensuring it is safe for use before selling it.
If it was an ebay special, then I am afraid its a case of you win some & loose some.
Hello

I confess it is an eBay special. You live and learn. I’ll be requesting a refund and I’ve just ordered some much safer lights. Not going to take any chances!

thanks for all your advice.

Reply to Wiring a wall light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net