Discuss Wiring Diagram in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cor929

Hi everyone.
Any help would be very appreciated.
In the process of building/wiring an industrial oven, im planning on purchasing all the components in the morning so i would really appreciate it if you could have a look at my wiring diagram. I am studying Electronic Engineering at the moment but there is not enough hands on in my course
. Untitled.png
Are the elements and lights wired correctly? or should they be in series?
Is the wire size ok?
I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks
Ian

firstly, are you a fully qualified electrician? i u are then
post your question
questions on here will only be replyed from 17th edition
or abouth

- - - Updated - - -

tazz you are a munter don,t reply

Does the oven really need a PID controller? Why are you using asolid state relay rather than a contactor?

If the elements are 230v then they're wired correctly. I would put the controls on a separate 5A MCB.

*EDIT* This is a machine or appliance, the electrical installation regs have limited relevance.

Hi,
I am going into my 4th year of Electronic Engineering. 17th edition or abouth?
Thanks Tazz I have that in my original diagram. (Great spot though!)

How else could you increase, decrease and maintain temp without it. Its highly accurate and only 15pounds.
Contactors make noise on impact and dont have as long as life as the ssr i got in, again it was also very cheap.
Ye all components will be fused just didnt add to diagram.
Thanks Marco, I will have far more confidence on the job tomorrow.

what would you suggest using?

Another question.
If i have a 1A 2A 0.2A and 10A circuit would it be ok to use four 10A switches? control panels always have the same switches and im sure their the circuits amps is not always the same.
Thanks for all the advice.
Nice forums.

Your wiring plan lacks many things here .... you really shouldn't be designing and building a control panel at this stage in your education, you will need to take up Electrical Engineering in control systems to get a grasp of this side.. its not a simple case of fitting A to B and getting C.

Do you have any external control devices remote from the panel... if so what control voltage have you implemented?
Your SSR is missing protection in the form of semi-conductor fusing ...this will be a costly maintenance issue as your elements fail and require replacement
Fusing for you Elements?
Fusing for your controls?
60w lamps .....really!!
How is your PID powered...i see no Neutral to the unit?

Please take this as constructive ..the course you are on hasn't thus far provided you with the knowledge and skills needed to build even a basic set-up that you require...at most you may get something functional but in reality it could never be implemented in the real world, this falls outside the reign of the BS7671 but is covered by other standards and regulations of which it seems you are unaware off.

You ask if the cable is correct size yet you dont provide it length, temp' rating etc
Im bemused to what the 4 lamps are about, you switch them on all 4 light what function do they serve, and when a lamp blows and takes out the main fuse you lose the whole power everything.

I seriously hope this is just a home project to learn PID controlling as this should never be used in the real world.

Last edited:
You need to think this through a bit more,I see a 50A breaker on the incomer then 40A connector block, Then 17A cabling.Think about it and you'll see the problem,put simply a breaker should be rated to protect the cable in fault conditions that 17A cable is going to end up a horrible charred mess before breaker trips.Also in an oven remember you need fibreglass coated cable to protect it from the heat,hi temp pvc won't cut it.not criticising just trying to point you in the right direction.

Just to clarify this is a home project for a small home business.
No dont worry about it :) criticism is what i am here for.

Im looking into the semiconductor fuse for the relay but have never seen them used before.
Do you have any external control devices remote from the panel... if so what control voltage have you implemented? (Can you explain further please)
The pid, lights, fan and entire circuit will be fused. Ye there will be a neutral just got sloppy with the diagram.

Only picked up switches, fusses, Fuse holders and common connection blocks.
Picked up these common blocks just for you FAA Greenie, no more chocky blocks. They will be used for ground, live and neutral.

Phil- ye getting this wire but not ordered yet, what do you think?
heat resistant 2.5mm fibreglass wire per meter appliance cable high temp spares | eBay
So that would be 40 amp breaker 25 amp wire and 100A common blocks. Any better? Total draw from elements,lights,fan and pid= 35.5A
10A switch for lights (2A circuit) and 5A fuse
10A switch for pid (0.09A draw) and 1A fuse from builders instruction.
Got 15A switches for the elements (10.4A)

Keep the criticism up.
Really grateful

Just to clarify this is a home project for a small home business.
No dont worry about it :) criticism is what i am here for.

Im looking into the semiconductor fuse for the relay but have never seen them used before.
Do you have any external control devices remote from the panel... if so what control voltage have you implemented? (Can you explain further please)
The pid, lights, fan and entire circuit will be fused. Ye there will be a neutral just got sloppy with the diagram.

Only picked up switches, fusses, Fuse holders and common connection blocks.
Picked up these common blocks just for you FAA Greenie, no more chocky blocks. They will be used for ground, live and neutral.

Phil- ye getting this wire but not ordered yet, what do you think?
heat resistant 2.5mm fibreglass wire per meter appliance cable high temp spares | eBay
So that would be 40 amp breaker 25 amp wire and 100A common blocks. Any better? Total draw from elements,lights,fan and pid= 35.5A
10A switch for lights (2A circuit) and 5A fuse
10A switch for pid (0.09A draw) and 1A fuse from builders instruction.
Got 15A switches for the elements (10.4A)

Keep the criticism up.
Really grateful

Reply to Wiring Diagram in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net