Discuss You can't spur more than one fcu from any socket...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok guys been asked help mate out but i think he has done his install wrong but as misplace my regs book cant find exact regulations he contravines.

Scenario is this big boiler room and pre existing metal clad sockets in ring final circuit. 32 Amp protection.

He has added 6 FCU metal clad wired in 2.5mm swa. Across 50M of the room at various places as a radial circuit.

Instead of running cable back to the board intends to spur the 6 FCU from the nearest socket of the ring final.

Ive told him im pretty sure you can't spur more than one fcu from any socket.

Am i right ? If so anyone know specifically which reg this is against.

I need to get regs book out but being mainly machine based maintenance guy i dont do that many installs but seems wrong to me.

Thanks guys

You may only have one spur from a ring final. Thats it. Doing what he is doing would mean a potential load of
13 x 6 amps (times 2 if they are double sockets).
He could have a hundred sockets from that one point on the ring final, but there would need to be a device limiting the max current (usually a 13A FCU).

This is implicit in the meaning of the regulation relating to overload current. IIRC this is reg 433. BS7671 does not specifically say you must not do this, but 433 means you cant.

It is stated as not being permitted in the OSG and Appendix 15 (for the hard of thinking).

Ok guys been asked help mate out but i think he has done his install wrong but as misplace my regs book cant find exact regulations he contravines.

Scenario is this big boiler room and pre existing metal clad sockets in ring final circuit. 32 Amp protection.

He has added 6 FCU metal clad wired in 2.5mm swa. Across 50M of the room at various places as a radial circuit.

Instead of running cable back to the board intends to spur the 6 FCU from the nearest socket of the ring final.

Ive told him im pretty sure you can't spur more than one fcu from any socket.

Am i right ? If so anyone know specifically which reg this is against.

I need to get regs book out but being mainly machine based maintenance guy i dont do that many installs but seems wrong to me.

Thanks guys
One UNFUSED SPUR only is allowed, as many as long as they are connected to a FUSED SPUR which will be limited to13Amps in the FCU read Appendix 15 BS7671 FIG 15A not going to rewrite it in this pot suggest you read it yourself.

Blue one but share a workshop with 7 other guys and only on shelf so anyone can take and dont always get put back.

How is that comment helpful !

Anyway thanks for confirming what i thought

One UNFUSED SPUR only is allowed, as many as long as they are connected to a FUSED SPUR which will be limited to13Amps in the FCU read Appendix 15 BS7671 FIG 15A not going to rewrite it in this pot suggest you read it yourself.

I wonder what colour it is :)
Sorry that should read, as many sockets as you like, can be wired from the FCU (depending on the loading) as the load will be limited to 13Amps.

It would be ok if the first FCU feeds the rest of them from the load side of the FCU but not the supply side.

What are the 6 separate sfcu for ? Is the total load less than 13a

If yes you got lucky and can feed from the load side of the first sfcu.

If more than 13a is required follows daves advice and create a new circuit on its own circuit

Wrong. You can have many spurs, even more than one from the same point, but each spur can only feed one socket outlet (single or double) or one FCU.

He means one spur from any one point on the ring final presumably.

Reply to You can't spur more than one fcu from any socket...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net