Discuss 18th edition surge protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
School premisses officer here, wanting some advice.

Each year we have to have a fixed wiring test on the 6 circuits 3 lighting, 3 power on our swimming pool area. Fed from a 3 phase board.

I follow the regs a bit and have a keen interest

Due to budgeting I wanted to know if when we get our fixed wiring test we would need to have surge protection installed as well as the other checks,as per the 18th or is it just for new installations

The regs are NOT retrospective
The regs are selectively retrospective, there was a time where no RCD protection was required for an external socket outlet, it would be coded as potentially dangerous today.
[automerge]1569590665[/automerge]
it depends on the location of the property and property in the regulation it shows maps where likely where SPD required.
In order to be required it would have to attract at least a code 2 on an EICR. It is not reasonable that lack of SP on an install that complied at the time of installation could be considered potentially dangerous.
[automerge]1569590738[/automerge]

[automerge]1569590812[/automerge]
I wonder why the OP is having an EICR annually, a 5 year interval would normally be applied.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone that makes me feel better as we are stretched pretty thing right now...

it’s a school.

I seem to remember we had to have a load of rcd protection installed before our last 5 year fixed wiring test, on the older part of the school, would that of just been a recommendation as well

Thank you everyone that makes me feel better as we are stretched pretty thing right now...

it’s a school.

I seem to remember we had to have a load of rcd protection installed before our last 5 year fixed wiring test, on the older part of the school, would that of just been a recommendation as well
RCD protection is now pretty much mandatory for socket outlets intended for general use, there are few cases where lack of RCD protection to sockets would be 'let go' on an EICR so to speak.

RCD protection is now pretty much mandatory for socket outlets intended for general use, there are few cases where lack of RCD protection to sockets would be 'let go' on an EICR so to speak.

Ah so that’s why we had to add so many rcd or rcbos....so what makes rcd protection retrospective?

But in respect to surge protection we should be okay

I would be recommended to install SPD if you have PCs .
Thank you
The regs are selectively retrospective, there was a time where no RCD protection was required for an external socket outlet, it would be coded as potentially dangerous today.
[automerge]1569590665[/automerge]

In order to be required it would have to attract at least a code 2 on an EICR. It is not reasonable that lack of SP on an install that complied at the time of installation could be considered potentially dangerous.
[automerge]1569590738[/automerge]

[automerge]1569590812[/automerge]
I wonder why the OP is having an EICR annually, a 5 year interval would normally be applied.
its just required by our insurance for circuits that are part of the swimming pool area

Reply to 18th edition surge protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net