Search the forum,

Discuss 2.5mm on a 32a radial or not? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

sam400

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi I recently ripped out a ring final circuit out of an old Proteus 3ph board. Customer only wanted a single 2G socket replaced. The MCBs are obsolete so I had to re use the C32 used originally supplied the ring.
can I use 2.5mm cable?
32A radial but with 2.5mm cable- not something you would see in appendix 15, but then thats only a guide and I ve only got one socket on the end, so does 433.3.1 ii apply?
Also no different to spurring off a ring?

This is just for discussion's sake as I ended up putting 4mm in, incase it was added too at a later date.

just interested to see what other thought?

in theory 27 amps is max what clipped direct 2.5 can take...
13A maximum load with single socket, 26A with double socket connected.

What he's trying to say is the max current (without there being a fault) likely to be on the cable with only a double 13amp socket is 26amp,, below the cable rating.

Fair enough, but that situation should never technically arise as a double socket is not rated to carry 26a for any period of time whether people use it for that purpose or not so in my opinion the OP's situation is fine technically as there is no risk of overloading the cable anyway. Although I would never install to this method

Yeah, I was also confused by the opening line of the original post! Daz

Hi I recently ripped out a ring final circuit out of an old Proteus 3ph board. Customer only wanted a single 2G socket replaced. The MCBs are obsolete so I had to re use the C32 used originally supplied the ring.
can I use 2.5mm cable?
32A radial but with 2.5mm cable- not something you would see in appendix 15, but then thats only a guide and I ve only got one socket on the end, so does 433.3.1 ii apply?
Also no different to spurring off a ring?

This is just for discussion's sake as I ended up putting 4mm in, incase it was added too at a later date.

just interested to see what other thought?
proteus are a UK company. Did you check that you couldn't get a £5 MCB?

I'm curious too as to what happened to the ring final circuit? Hopefully it wasn't needed for anything!
On the RFC, you are allowed a spur at the origin, and thus keep the ring.

You said the customer "only wanted a twin socket changed" yet you ripped out a RFC from the CU? I think that's what he is trying to say.

Apologies I didn't explain that very well, the builders on site ripped all the existing conduit out and with it the existing ring final, leaving it broken on the floor and live, so I dissed it all and put it in the skip, customer just needed one 2g putting back.

Thanks for the replies, I think despite the rating of the socket you should allow for 26A maximum, as you could in theory plug 2 x 3kw loads into it. The 2.5 cable would have been sufficient I feel and is protected from overload by the plug top fuses.

No I didn't look into getting a £5 MCB - my regular wholesaler does not stock proteus 3871 MCBs i dunno whats up with them??

Reply to 2.5mm on a 32a radial or not? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net