Search the forum,

Discuss 2 x 2-way lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

HandyMandy

Hi

New member here looking for some help with 2-way lighting in a townhouse - i.e. entrance lobby, living acc on 1st floor and bedrooms on 2nd floor.

Client wants 2 way switching for entrance lobby and 1st floor landing light. Thats fine. He also wants 2way switching for 1st floor and 2nd floor landing. Snag. How do I get the 1st floor landing light to be controlled by 2 separate 2 way switch circuits??

Have tried to draw it out but can't make sense of it.

Any offers (other than having 2 lights on the 1st floor landing on separate control circuits - the client does not want that).

Many thanks

HandyMandy

Trev

Thanks for the quick reply.

Have suggested that - it seemed the easist way but the clinet does not want the lights to be on/off. He wants to have 2 separate "circuits" i.e. lobby/1st and 1st/2nd.

Coming to the conclusion this will not be possible but there are loads of town houses around so what do they do?

HandyMany

Thanks guys!!

In a past life I worked in a Major Corporate and thought that awkward clients were unique to that environment.

Oh how very wrong I have been!!!

I will go for Intermediate switching or suggest that the lobby stands alone (given that the 1st floor landing light is att he top of the stairs anyway).

Thanks again.

Isn't the problem the required system?

It's a bit silly to have the fist and second landing lights come on every time the entrance lobby light is switched on.

Thanks guys!!

In a past life I worked in a Major Corporate and thought that awkward clients were unique to that environment.

Oh how very wrong I have been!!!

I will go for Intermediate switching or suggest that the lobby stands alone (given that the 1st floor landing light is att he top of the stairs anyway).

Thanks again.
Surely that's not what the customer wants though?

Hi

New member here looking for some help with 2-way lighting in a townhouse - i.e. entrance lobby, living acc on 1st floor and bedrooms on 2nd floor.

Client wants 2 way switching for entrance lobby and 1st floor landing light. Thats fine. He also wants 2way switching for 1st floor and 2nd floor landing. Snag. How do I get the 1st floor landing light to be controlled by 2 separate 2 way switch circuits??

Have tried to draw it out but can't make sense of it.

Any offers (other than having 2 lights on the 1st floor landing on separate control circuits - the client does not want that).

Many thanks

HandyMandy

By having 2 x light fittings on that landing? or go the whole way and use grid switches and having 2 way control on each landing for each light. Now that would be fun!

It would take a bit of working out to make sure it works, however what about the following using a couple of 250V diodes?

controlling two times two way one light.jpg

You could use a Grid switch on the 1st floor landing with 2 two way switches in, either one operating the 1st floor light via a Diode....but these would be better replaced by a relay to ensure that only one light turns the light on at a time or it simply swaps over to the other source..

It would take a bit of working out to make sure it works, however what about the following using a couple of 250V diodes?...

Only if you don't mind the 1st floor light running on half wave rectified DC, so it's going to a bit dim. And you'll need diodes rated at well above 250V to cope with the peak voltage. But yes, you could do it with a couple of relays.

Only if you don't mind the 1st floor light running on half wave rectified DC, so it's going to a bit dim. And you'll need diodes rated at well above 250V to cope with the peak voltage. But yes, you could do it with a couple of relays.

Handy, you can get Diodes that will pass the full ac voltage, just can't recall what they call them off the top of my head, however the best way to do it would be with relays..actually if you pick the right relay then one would do it...

Reply to 2 x 2-way lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net