Search the forum,

Discuss 2 X oven installation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kevtotty

Hi there

1977 built property

6mm cable running approx 15m from CU to cooker switch (currently unused)

Planning to install 1 x oven and 1 combi oven, total connected loading 7.25 kw

May install 2 way CU or just wire into cooker connector.

Will existing (and original) 6mm cable suffice???

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Hi there

1977 built property

6mm cable running approx 15m from CU to cooker switch (currently unused)

Planning to install 1 x oven and 1 combi oven, total connected loading 7.25 kw

May install 2 way CU or just wire into cooker connector.

Will existing (and original) 6mm cable suffice???

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Providing cable is ok - IR tested then yes 6mm will supply 7.5kw easily and if both appiances are seperate you could wire both to your existing ccu.

Get a local spark to wire for you and to check cable as it wont cost much.,

All the best
Pete

OSG Pg 160 Section 8.4 you can feed 2 cooking appliances from one supply providing the circuit rating is above 15amps and the 2 appliances does not exceed 50amps in the same room.

You can also use the one control switch for the 2 appliances providing neither appliance is more than 2 mts from the switch. You also have to do this to reg 536.2 which basically means you have to make sure either appliance under fault condition will operate the protection device.

IMO though I would want to seperate the 2 appliances as if a fault developed on 1 you could still use the other, but for cost and such putting both on 1 circuit is acceptable.

Pete/Malcolm

Many thanks for the responses guys.

Previous owners have actually moved control switch to inside base cupboard - can I still use this?

As it is concealed, could this be swapped for a 2-way CU?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Thanks Pete

Since the CCU is currently in a cupboard, would it be ok to replace it with a CU rather than adding a double outlet plate??

Kevin

Pete, I have read that a way of connecting 2 ovens is via a 2 way consumer unit - just wondering whether I need to keep the CCU as well if I chose this option?

Reply to 2 X oven installation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net