Discuss 3 core feeding 2 lighting circuits sharing a neutral in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok you tell me how you'd get an open neutral at any fitting on either circuit with the appropriate fuse out, if it's wired as I suggest ?

You're moving the goal posts, you never specified at a fitting.
It would be easy enough for someone to pull one fuse at the fuseboard and disconnect the neutral without realising the dangerous situation.

Your post implied that it is not dangerous as it is at the moment and that the only possible danger is that of the borrowed neutral.
No mention of the fact that the neutral conductor will be carrying twice the current it was designed to, possibly carry twice the short term overloads.

Your post implied there was no danger in a potentially very dangerous situation!

That's the thing I don't no if it's compliant? Also I won't be testing or signing the tester will be coming back to check the work is done then he will be retesting and issuing cert

If you don't know the regulations on something as basic as this are you sure you are competant to be doing the work?

If you don't know the regulations on something as basic as this are you sure you are competant to be doing the work?
What a idiot how is it basic how often do u come across that? There's been bout 10 ppl comment on here no one has given me a definate yes or no! Now why comment if your not going to help there ppl like you in every forum! Bet I'm more competent and qualified than u!

What a idiot how is it basic how often do u come across that? There's been bout 10 ppl comment on here no one has given me a definate yes or no! Now why comment if your not going to help there ppl like you in every forum! Bet I'm more competent and qualified than u!

It's basic because it's been in the regulations for many many years. You are dealing with the basic rule that you cannot share a neutral between two circuits and the basic definition of a circuit.
Nobody will give you a definate yes or no because they don't want to be liable from handing out advice to someone who appears to not even know the basics of the job.
I don't bet, and I'm not sure how to compare competence but if you seriously wish to compare qualifications then go for it.

Last edited:
It's basic because it's been in the regulations for many many years. You are dealing with the basic rule that you cannot share a neutral between two circuits and the basic definition of a circuit.
Nobody will give you a definate yes or no because they don't want to be liable from handing out advice to someone who appears to not even know the basics of the job.
I don't bet, and I'm not sure how to compare competence but if you seriously wish to compare qualifications then go for it.
So why did u ask me all the questions about it if it was a simple no? And you said "should be ok" so why say that if it's a no? No one is going to be liable for trying to help on a forum where are you from? Just wanted to no as it's not simple it starts as 1 circuit a 3 core and I would obviously change it if I could, so you've offered me no help so why get involved?

Just read about the last 20 of your threads have you got nothing good to say to no one please don't reply anymore to my threads I'm fed up with trolling and keyboard warriors!

So why did u ask me all the questions about it if it was a simple no? And you said "should be ok" so why say that if it's a no? No one is going to be liable for trying to help on a forum where are you from? Just wanted to no as it's not simple it starts as 1 circuit a 3 core and I would obviously change it if I could, so you've offered me no help so why get involved?

I was quoting your comment of 'should be ok' and mocking it.
Who said its a simple no?

Jesus wept, a circuit is defined by being connected to a common OCPD. What more do you need?

It is simple 1 OCPD = 1 circuit

Boys ... stop this bickering now!

Davesparks - Go a little easier on him he's a new member, I take it he's got little experience and questioning what he's learnt and what he has dropped on his lap ... its like shouting at a learner driver , we were all there once.

Lukerthomas - Please don't call members idiots regardless of what they say it only can lead one way once the verbal slating is added, we have a report option at the bottom left of the post if you feel you need to complain then use it and we will decide what actions if any to take.

Carry on but without the bickering please or the thread is closed.

You're moving the goal posts, you never specified at a fitting.
It would be easy enough for someone to pull one fuse at the fuseboard and disconnect the neutral without realising the dangerous situation.

Your post implied that it is not dangerous as it is at the moment and that the only possible danger is that of the borrowed neutral.
No mention of the fact that the neutral conductor will be carrying twice the current it was designed to, possibly carry twice the short term overloads.

Your post implied there was no danger in a potentially very dangerous situation!

No I'm not Dave, I clearly said that IF the neutral splits to the two areas of lighting before any connected fittings then it wouldn't be possible to get an open neutral situation at any light ,and furthermore I then recommended that both live conductors be connected to one 6 amp MCB, there's no way that the neutral could be subjected to any damaging overcurrent then unless the MCB was faulty,anyway I have no desire to argue with anyone but in the relatively short time I've been a forum member you do come across as rather negative, eager to criticise and even unpleasant at times. However I also realise that it's very easy to get the wrong impression on forums and if I'm wrong I apologise.

Reply to 3 core feeding 2 lighting circuits sharing a neutral in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net