Discuss 3 phase supply in a 3 bed detached rural house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

While it might be nice to have a 3 phase supply it depends on the capacity of the local network as it can become very very expensive if reinforcement of the local network is needed to provide that supply

So it has a TP&N supply?
I think he attempted to answer that in #4 but the quote confused things.

OP - what the questions are all driving at is that 'getting a TP&N supply' can be a tortuous and expensive business and pot luck comes into it. I recently helped a customer arrange one and the customer kept changing their mind. By the time they decided to go for it the price had increased from £4000 to £20,000 as in the meantime another local business requested one and basically used up the remaining capacity in the area.

It might be worth starting the other end - what you are wanting 3 consumer units or three phase power for?

I think he attempted to answer that in #4 but the quote confused things.

OP - what the questions are all driving at is that 'getting a TP&N supply' can be a tortuous and expensive business and pot luck comes into it. I recently helped a customer arrange one and the customer kept changing their mind. By the time they decided to go for it the price had increased from £4000 to £20,000 as in the meantime another local business requested one and basically used up the remaining capacity in the area.

It might be worth starting the other end - what you are wanting 3 consumer units or three phase power for?
My house, my neighbours house & a spare consumer unit.

I think you should get an electrician that is used to 3 phase installations to come round, discuss requirements and help you fill out the request for a new / upgraded supply.
Whatever the cost is, you are likely to save 5 times that due to the request being filled out correctly.
mistakes can and will cost you a LOT of money.

On the other hand, following an outage to a local television transmitter some years ago, the powers that be decided to install a second feed, which resulted in a third wire being added to the 11kV single phase distribution lines around my area. This has massively reduced the cost of anyone getting a three phase supply for myself and everyone for a few miles around.

Well the simple answer to the original question is "yes".
How easy it is do do varies tremendously. The cost can vary tremendously as the answers you've already had demonstrate.
I echo the suggestion to get some advice, especially if you fill out the DNO form yourself.

I'm curious why the OP wants to become the supplier to their neighbour but I shouldn't be too nosey!

I have no idea what you have as a supply now or in the future but yes you can utilise three 100A single phase supplies from a 100A three phase supply. As above, why you wish to supply the neighbouring property and a spare is and will probably remain a mystery without more information.

Well the simple answer to the original question is "yes".
How easy it is do do varies tremendously. The cost can vary tremendously as the answers you've already had demonstrate.
I echo the suggestion to get some advice, especially if you fill out the DNO form yourself.

I'm curious why the OP wants to become the supplier to their neighbour but I shouldn't be too nosey!
To be fair, the DNO forms for a supply upgrade can confuse some electricians.
and we are supposed to understand the questions.

If there is a three phase supply available, the normal way of connecting three properties in a row, would be one phase to each.
As for the quote for the work, I honestly believe it depends on the phases of the moon, and whether the person quoting had a fight with his wife that morning.
As I've posted on here before, a quote for my modifying my own supply started off at £0, went to £3000, then £5000, then back to £0 again.

There is clearly something more going on than just wanting a spare 100A in case you suddenly find a need for it. Fast EV charger maybe?

But the neighbour supply is an odd one, unless they have something unsatisfactory or off-grid and are willing to contribute to getting a TP&N feed to the site so they can share it. Hopefully the OP can enlighten us?

Reply to 3 phase supply in a 3 bed detached rural house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net