Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss 303 exam Assignment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gktssm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could me with my assignment. I have a couple of questions which needs to be answered.

1: The entrance light only turn off when the protective device is turned off.
my answer: the control or switch is missing from the line conductor.

2: Overload current on a radial circuit supplying a socket outlet in the glass house.
my answer: The cause of overload current on a radial circuit is more amperage is put across an electrical wire or circuit than it can handle.

3: lighting circuit was still live although the protective device had operated
my answer: no idea.

thanks in advance.

Could you write questions 1 and 2 out word for word from your paper. I am not 100% Sure what your asking.

sorry my mistake.

describe for each of the following symptom the most likely electrical circuit fault.
question 1: The entrance light only turn off when the protective device is turned off.

my answer: the control or switch is missing from the line conductor.

question 2: Overload current on a radial circuit supplying a socket outlet in the glass house.
my answer: The cause of overload current on a radial circuit is more amperage is put across an electrical wire or circuit than it can handle.

Identify the likely problem for each of the following situation.
question 3: lighting circuit was still live although the protective device had operated.
my answer: no idea.

thanks in advance.

With the radial socket circuit does it give any info of protective device etc. Assuming it is a 16amp or 20amp tthen if you had 2 appliances plugged in to the socket both drawing say 13amps then its overloading the breaker.

With Question 3 what would happen if the neutral was fused?

Question 1 I suppose may be an incorrectly wired light. so it has a permanent live rather than a switched live.

Thats my thoughts anyway.

With the radial socket circuit does it give any info of protective device etc. Assuming it is a 16amp or 20amp tthen if you had 2 appliances plugged in to the socket both drawing say 13amps then its overloading the breaker.

With Question 3 what would happen if the neutral was fused?

Question 1 I suppose may be an incorrectly wired light. so it has a permanent live rather than a switched live.

Thats my thoughts anyway.

Could also be that the light is switched by a photocell and it has stayed in the on position.

Hey,

I think your answers to questions one and two are good. I think you should re-word number one too sound a bit more savy though =) maybe something like this:

1.The entrance light has a permanent line conductor instead of a switched line conductor.

This is pretty much exactly what you answered, however answering like this is a lot quicker/efficient and using some nice technical terminology, which is a better approach.

However I think your missing the point of question number 2. The questions are all phrased really badly, so took me a while to understand what they want. Question two does not want you to explain what an overload is, it wants you too state the most likely cause of it. So I would answer:

2: The load(s) connected to the radial socket circuit are drawing more Amperage than the circuit components/conductors can carry under safe operating conditions.

Question number three's most likely cause is:

3.The lighting circuit is being back-fed from another circuit.

Note that all these questions have loads of possible cause, but these seem the most likley scenarios (in my opinion of course). Hope this helps dude, good luck with the 303. =)

The third question

The answer could be the wrong MCB is operated or backfed from another circuit or Reverse Polarity of tails or incoming supply at the consumer unit..

Hey,

I think your answers to questions one and two are good. I think you should re-word number one too sound a bit more savy though =) maybe something like this:

1.The entrance light has a permanent line conductor instead of a switched line conductor.

This is pretty much exactly what you answered, however answering like this is a lot quicker/efficient and using some nice technical terminology, which is a better approach.

However I think your missing the point of question number 2. The questions are all phrased really badly, so took me a while to understand what they want. Question two does not want you to explain what an overload is, it wants you too state the most likely cause of it. So I would answer:

2: The load(s) connected to the radial socket circuit are drawing more Amperage than the circuit components/conductors can carry under safe operating conditions.

Question number three's most likely cause is:

3.The lighting circuit is being back-fed from another circuit.

Note that all these questions have loads of possible cause, but these seem the most likely scenarios (in my opinion of course). Hope this helps dude, good luck with the 303. =)

Thank you very much mate.

Reply to 303 exam Assignment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net