Discuss 31 yr old starting an apprenticeship in Sept - any general advice, inc. tools I need + how to prep? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I'm changing careers from office / marketing and extremely excited to be starting my apprenticeship is September! Joining a local small business.

I have a few questions which would really help!

Firstly, what should I expect from my employer in terms of what they'll supply me with in terms of tools / petrol money etc?

Secondly what are the essential tools I need, what are the best brands and where can I get the best prices?

Finally, what's the best way I can start prepping? I'm ok with DIY but feel a bit like a dunce when it comes to knowing the basics! Maybe buying some sockets and practice wiring them up (with dead wires if course!)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

In terms of what they’ll supply, you’ll need to see your contract of employment, they will supply PPE and I’d imagine they’ll lend you basic tools to start with, I wouldn’t buy to many yourself just yet untill you know you enjoy the work, as for petrol I’ve no idea I can’t imagine why they’d give you fuel money unless you’ve agreed to use your own vehicle for work purposes in which case you’ll need to change your insurance etc….as for prepping Please don’t touch anything live!…..a word of advice that I was given as a youngster and I always pass on is, mouth shut eyes open and get yourself to a point where you are preempting what the person teaching you needs, it proves you’ve been paying attention, make yourself invaluable….but I will say good luck and hope all goes well for you 👍🏻😁

Last edited:
You would need a tea-spoon for a start. Get familiar with Ohms law. As to what your employer does for you, should have been sorted out at the interview stage. Ask your employer about those questions. You will mostly be doing labouring I should imagine. I will assume you are going to be taught/supervised by someone who knows what they are doing. The main problem with new persons such as yourself is keeping you from being electrocuted. Learn about safe isolation.
There are loads of good sparks doing youtube vids on how to do all the skills required watch and learn but don't be trying to tell a time served spark how to do the job though. Although there are certain tasks/skills you will need to master, there are a lot of rules and regulations governing how you do them and the methods used which may not make sense to you initially untill you are better trained.
For me, the best person for the job is someone who is interested and ready with the right tool at the right time, carries that ladder and makes the sparks life as easy as possible. Best of luck in your new career.

As above, check with your employer what they expect and will provide. They must provide any required PPE free of charge to you, but other aspects of car/van use and tools might vary so ask.

Safe isolation is the single most important thing to understand:
  1. It will help avoid an untimely death
  2. If you don't do it completely correctly at examination time you will fail. Because of point #1
Get in to the habit of checking everything before you start work on it. Never assume others have done it correctly, and never assume that because a flat's power is locked off at the main switch then every item will be off. You might just find a socket powered from another flat (from a house being divided up in the past, etc)!

And look after your knees. If you have any choice of overalls get ones with knee pad pockets (and I would always go for flame retardant overalls just in case).

In terms of your own tools to do DIY or practice on, then a VDE style screwdriver set from Lidl/Aldi is better than most. Yes, you should not be working live but an insulated tool adds one more thin layer of protection. Get some half-decent cutters and pliers as well, ideally with known insulation rating.

Finally never monkey with stuff you don't fully understand. If in doubt ask and/or check it out first, you are expected to learn and so get help/advice on what is needed from those who know.

Firstly, what should I expect from my employer in terms of what they'll supply me with in terms of tools / petrol money etc?
You should have ironed that out before committing to join. Not sure whether they have any obligation to provide you with either, you'd have to check with them and/or HMRC.

If i employ someone i expect them to buy their own tools including power tools but some firms will provide you with them.
Secondly what are the essential tools I need, what are the best brands and where can I get the best prices?
Best prices: Amazon and Screwfix.

Best brands is all personal preference but i like to go with German hand tools and DeWalt powertools, although the Milwaukee stuff is awesome too. Favourite hand tools are Klein, Gedore and Knipex.
Finally, what's the best way I can start prepping? I'm ok with DIY but feel a bit like a dunce when it comes to knowing the basics! Maybe buying some sockets and practice wiring them up (with dead wires if course!)?
The absolute first, essential thing you must do is, go and buy a proper voltage pen (NOT an illuminous screwdriver) AND a voltage/continuity tester. I have the Fluke T90, 50 quid (they're actually £39 on CEF right now not including postage) on Screwfix but has saved me from a few belts. Then learn how to test for incoming AC power. Test every circuit you're asked to work on even if the breaker appears to be off and especially if someone else has just told you it's off.

You'll need a copy of either the EAL Level 2 or the C&G Level 2 book for your college course depending on who the awarding body is. Start reading through them. Get familiar with stripping wire with a pair of side cutters. Practice getting the lengths right and how to terminate correctly eg no copper on show but no sheathing caught in the terminal.

Start practising how to pull cables through into awkward places. There's an art to cable pulling and you'll be doing a lot of it.

Get the basics of how wire size and breaker sizes combine and work together for safety. You probably won't need to know this off the top of your head until year 2.

Learn about radials, ring finals, lighting circuits including 2 and 3 plate methods (whether the feed is taken through the switch or directly to the fitting).

Really, there's no much more you could do than that in preparation for September and really they won't expect anything else from you. Just be keen, do what you're asked as long as it's safe, and don't use your phone at work and you'll be golden.

I passed my trials to get into the industry because i don't stand about on Facebook all day and i'm keen to get the job done so we can all leave earlier. Show willing and you'll be golden.

EDIT for practical skills like wire lengths and termination styles etc check out GSH Electrical on youtube, solid gold.
EDIT 2 READ your apprenticeship contract fully and thoroughly. An apprenticeship is a decent opportunity if the company is good but some will try and have the mick out of you. The take home points are you're allowed dedicated time AT WORK each week to study, off the top of my head it's an hour a day but check your contract, and they HAVE TO PAY YOU for going to college irrespective of your age. Any other training must also be 1. paid for by them and 2. you must be paid for attending. So your firms overtime rates for Saturdays is time and a half? And they want you to go on an IPAF course on a Saturday? Then they must pay for the course and pay you time and a half for attending it. Some firms try and get away with not paying for these.

By year 2 you will have enough skills under your belt to be able to go work at the going rate for an improver which is around double what a second year apprentice is on. Up to you whether you decide to go that route then and build up 5 years experience so you can do the 'Experienced Worker' route - become qualified without working on slave wages, or stick with the apprenticeship.

After 4 years on minimum wage on an apprenticeship you'll come out 'fully qualified' but you'll only be on a quid or 2 an hour more than the agency improvers on site. Personally i went the improver route because staying as an apprentice on minimum wage would have cost me roughly 66 grand in lost wages. I'm now on more than a lot of sparks i know. People covet apprenticeships as the gold standard but really the only relevant thing is who taught you? If you got taught by someone who's rough you'll be rough without knowing it. And trust me when i say most apprenticed sparks i know are rough. Usually i find the older lads who got into it because they really wanted to have more dedication to finding out the proper ways of doing things and as a result their work is usually much better.

When it comes down to it, if you have the NVQ, Inspection and Testing and the 18th edition, hardly anyone cares whether you were an apprentice or not.

Last edited:
In terms of what they’ll supply, you’ll need to see your contract of employment, they will supply PPE and I’d imagine they’ll lend you basic tools to start with, I wouldn’t buy to many yourself just yet untill you know you enjoy the work, as for petrol I’ve no idea I can’t imagine why they’d give you fuel money unless you’ve agreed to use your own vehicle for work purposes in which case you’ll need to change your insurance etc….as for prepping Please don’t touch anything live!…..a word of advice that I was given as a youngster and I always pass on is, mouth shut eyes open and get yourself to a point where you are preempting what the person teaching you needs, it proves you’ve been paying attention, make yourself invaluable….but I will say good luck and hope all goes well for you 👍🏻😁
Brilliant thanks for the advice! I'll be getting lifts most of the time I think so not sure if I'll need to use my own car at times.

You would need a tea-spoon for a start. Get familiar with Ohms law. As to what your employer does for you, should have been sorted out at the interview stage. Ask your employer about those questions. You will mostly be doing labouring I should imagine. I will assume you are going to be taught/supervised by someone who knows what they are doing. The main problem with new persons such as yourself is keeping you from being electrocuted. Learn about safe isolation.
There are loads of good sparks doing youtube vids on how to do all the skills required watch and learn but don't be trying to tell a time served spark how to do the job though. Although there are certain tasks/skills you will need to master, there are a lot of rules and regulations governing how you do them and the methods used which may not make sense to you initially untill you are better trained.
For me, the best person for the job is someone who is interested and ready with the right tool at the right time, carries that ladder and makes the sparks life as easy as possible. Best of luck in your new career.
Brilliant thanks for the advice

As above, check with your employer what they expect and will provide. They must provide any required PPE free of charge to you, but other aspects of car/van use and tools might vary so ask.

Safe isolation is the single most important thing to understand:
  1. It will help avoid an untimely death
  2. If you don't do it completely correctly at examination time you will fail. Because of point #1
Get in to the habit of checking everything before you start work on it. Never assume others have done it correctly, and never assume that because a flat's power is locked off at the main switch then every item will be off. You might just find a socket powered from another flat (from a house being divided up in the past, etc)!

And look after your knees. If you have any choice of overalls get ones with knee pad pockets (and I would always go for flame retardant overalls just in case).

In terms of your own tools to do DIY or practice on, then a VDE style screwdriver set from Lidl/Aldi is better than most. Yes, you should not be working live but an insulated tool adds one more thin layer of protection. Get some half-decent cutters and pliers as well, ideally with known insulation rating.

Finally never monkey with stuff you don't fully understand. If in doubt ask and/or check it out first, you are expected to learn and so get help/advice on what is needed from those who know.
Thanks really appreciate the advice!

You should have ironed that out before committing to join. Not sure whether they have any obligation to provide you with either, you'd have to check with them and/or HMRC.

If i employ someone i expect them to buy their own tools including power tools but some firms will provide you with them.

Best prices: Amazon and Screwfix.

Best brands is all personal preference but i like to go with German hand tools and DeWalt powertools, although the Milwaukee stuff is awesome too. Favourite hand tools are Klein, Gedore and Knipex.

The absolute first, essential thing you must do is, go and buy a proper voltage pen (NOT an illuminous screwdriver) AND a voltage/continuity tester. I have the Fluke T90, 50 quid (they're actually £39 on CEF right now not including postage) on Screwfix but has saved me from a few belts. Then learn how to test for incoming AC power. Test every circuit you're asked to work on even if the breaker appears to be off and especially if someone else has just told you it's off.

You'll need a copy of either the EAL Level 2 or the C&G Level 2 book for your college course depending on who the awarding body is. Start reading through them. Get familiar with stripping wire with a pair of side cutters. Practice getting the lengths right and how to terminate correctly eg no copper on show but no sheathing caught in the terminal.

Start practising how to pull cables through into awkward places. There's an art to cable pulling and you'll be doing a lot of it.

Get the basics of how wire size and breaker sizes combine and work together for safety. You probably won't need to know this off the top of your head until year 2.

Learn about radials, ring finals, lighting circuits including 2 and 3 plate methods (whether the feed is taken through the switch or directly to the fitting).

Really, there's no much more you could do than that in preparation for September and really they won't expect anything else from you. Just be keen, do what you're asked as long as it's safe, and don't use your phone at work and you'll be golden.

I passed my trials to get into the industry because i don't stand about on Facebook all day and i'm keen to get the job done so we can all leave earlier. Show willing and you'll be golden.

EDIT for practical skills like wire lengths and termination styles etc check out GSH Electrical on youtube, solid gold.
EDIT 2 READ your apprenticeship contract fully and thoroughly. An apprenticeship is a decent opportunity if the company is good but some will try and have the mick out of you. The take home points are you're allowed dedicated time AT WORK each week to study, off the top of my head it's an hour a day but check your contract, and they HAVE TO PAY YOU for going to college irrespective of your age. Any other training must also be 1. paid for by them and 2. you must be paid for attending. So your firms overtime rates for Saturdays is time and a half? And they want you to go on an IPAF course on a Saturday? Then they must pay for the course and pay you time and a half for attending it. Some firms try and get away with not paying for these.

By year 2 you will have enough skills under your belt to be able to go work at the going rate for an improver which is around double what a second year apprentice is on. Up to you whether you decide to go that route then and build up 5 years experience so you can do the 'Experienced Worker' route - become qualified without working on slave wages, or stick with the apprenticeship.

After 4 years on minimum wage on an apprenticeship you'll come out 'fully qualified' but you'll only be on a quid or 2 an hour more than the agency improvers on site. Personally i went the improver route because staying as an apprentice on minimum wage would have cost me roughly 66 grand in lost wages. I'm now on more than a lot of sparks i know. People covet apprenticeships as the gold standard but really the only relevant thing is who taught you? If you got taught by someone who's rough you'll be rough without knowing it. And trust me when i say most apprenticed sparks i know are rough. Usually i find the older lads who got into it because they really wanted to have more dedication to finding out the proper ways of doing things and as a result their work is usually much better.

When it comes down to it, if you have the NVQ, Inspection and Testing and the 18th edition, hardly anyone cares whether you were an apprentice or not.
Thanks for the advice, to be honest I've had to scrap for this opportunity as I had to negotiate decent pay, so didn't ask too many questions!

Regarding the books, I believe in Wales it's EAL and C&G so not sure what the books will be!

I think I'll be sticking with the apprenticeship, the employer has been really good and said if / as I improve he's happy to up my pay so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice, to be honest I've had to scrap for this opportunity as I had to negotiate decent pay, so didn't ask too many questions!

Regarding the books, I believe in Wales it's EAL and C&G so not sure what the books will be!

I think I'll be sticking with the apprenticeship, the employer has been really good and said if / as I improve he's happy to up my pay so fingers crossed.
PM me and i'll hook you up with both books, i have copies from when i was an apprentice.

Hey if he's said with further training comes more pay he sounds a good boss. A proper apprenticeship with someone who actually cares about training you up and knows what he's doing is absolute gold dust.

The problem is a lot of firms nowadays are using (especially mature candidates) as cheap labour because we're quicker to train, have life experience and they can pay us rubbish money for 3-4 years.

If you found a good firm, stick with them. If it turns sour just know you always have the option to go as an improver - just get a CSCS green card and your 18th and you'll be good to go after a years worth of experience.

PM me and i'll hook you up with both books, i have copies from when i was an apprentice.

Hey if he's said with further training comes more pay he sounds a good boss. A proper apprenticeship with someone who actually cares about training you up and knows what he's doing is absolute gold dust.

The problem is a lot of firms nowadays are using (especially mature candidates) as cheap labour because we're quicker to train, have life experience and they can pay us rubbish money for 3-4 years.

If you found a good firm, stick with them. If it turns sour just know you always have the option to go as an improver - just get a CSCS green card and your 18th and you'll be good to go after a years worth of experience.
Thanks mate will do!

Sounds like you've got a great opportunity in front of you, and coming in with the right attitude.

I started my apprenticeship at 31 in Australia, so I'm not sure exactly how the rules on what an employer must provide differ. I've always bought my own tools as I'm particular about what I like, and I'm not asking the boss to fork out $250 for a crimper when the $30 one does the job 90% of the time.

My general rule throughout training was 'If I've needed to borrow this tool off my tradesman twice, I need one of my own." Worked pretty well, within reason.

Search these on HSE website Download them, print them and learn them.

HSG85
HSR25
HSG107

Discover YOUR and your employer's definition of ".....All reasonable steps....."

Last edited:
Welcome. Be prepared to take your time building a tool collection. You can do a lot with very few tools. VDE screwdrivers, cable shears, a decent knife, long nose and flat pliers, some cable strippers. You'll very quickly realise what the key items are. Don't go anywhere without a 2 pole tester and a lock off kit. Don't trust anyone else to have turned it off for you and don't trust anyone else not to turn it back on without warning!
By the way you aren't that far from me (Oswestry). Maybe in future we'll cross paths. I've just finished a nasty job for a church in Gwersllyt that would have been perfect for an apprentice to help with, every wall (and cable) had a liberal coating of black bitumen paint on it!
Anyway it's great to hear you have this opportunity. I hope it works out for you.

Check out "GSH Electrical" and John Ward on youtube btw, both give good solid information and advice.

Last edited:
Welcome. Be prepared to take your time building a tool collection. You can do a lot with very few tools. VDE screwdrivers, cable shears, a decent knife, long nose and flat pliers, some cable strippers. You'll very quickly realise what the key items are. Don't go anywhere without a 2 pole tester and a lock off kit. Don't trust anyone else to have turned it off for you and don't trust anyone else not to turn it back on without warning!
By the way you aren't that far from me (Oswestry). Maybe in future we'll cross paths. I've just finished a nasty job for a church in Gwersllyt that would have been perfect for an apprentice to help with, every wall (and cable) had a liberal coating of black bitumen paint on it!
Anyway it's great to hear you have this opportunity. I hope it works out for you.

Check out "GSH Electrical" and John Ward on youtube btw, both give good solid information and advice.
Thanks Tim!

Reply to 31 yr old starting an apprenticeship in Sept - any general advice, inc. tools I need + how to prep? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net