Discuss 3phase cut out for Isolation in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Have a situation with a Wylex 60A single phase switch fuse isolator that is overheating & conductor insulation is burnt. It is supplied by 25mm tails from a henley block. There are also more henley block connections across all phases which I don't like at all. Anyway, for safe isolation, the only means is to pull the main fuses. The DNO's supply is a Lucy 185mm cut out. There are no seals in place, looks like previous workers have removed them if they were there in the first place, knurled nuts holding front cover on. I am thinking 70mm supply by the size of the main earth. To pull or not to pull the fuses? To prevent a fire, or would the DNO come out as an emergency? Either way, there will be a power down & I guess we would have to wait for someone to replace the fuses when the remedial works are completed. The company is a minibus service with garage workshops, for local County Council & have a tracking system & a lot of IT equipment, phones are important for parents if they need to check on their child. Meanwhile, the supply is only ticking over until the morning when the office staff come in, the total load previously measured was around 52 Amps. I would like to turn the 6oA supply off as being unsafe, but I guess it could have been like that for ages. Would appreciate some input & thanks in advance for your time.

Hi Guys, Have a situation with a Wylex 60A single phase switch fuse isolator that is overheating & conductor insulation is burnt. It is supplied by 25mm tails from a henley block. There are also more henley block connections across all phases which I don't like at all. Anyway, for safe isolation, the only means is to pull the main fuses. The DNO's supply is a Lucy 185mm cut out. There are no seals in place, looks like previous workers have removed them if they were there in the first place, knurled nuts holding front cover on. I am thinking 70mm supply by the size of the main earth. To pull or not to pull the fuses? To prevent a fire, or would the DNO come out as an emergency? Either way, there will be a power down & I guess we would have to wait for someone to replace the fuses when the remedial works are completed. The company is a minibus service with garage workshops, for local County Council & have a tracking system & a lot of IT equipment, phones are important for parents if they need to check on their child. Meanwhile, the supply is only ticking over until the morning when the office staff come in, the total load previously measured was around 52 Amps. I would like to turn the 6oA supply off as being unsafe, but I guess it could have been like that for ages. Would appreciate some input & thanks in advance for your time.
Does your "Safe Isolation Dilema" come from a single or 3 Phase installation, would maybe sugest a call to the DNO to install a TP and N isolator

I would agree on that score with peter ,once one is fitted you can isolate the full system and change the fuse isolator .
What's with the Peter Buzz? Pete will be sufficient:tongue: Never liked that Name anyway. Still better than the name my Mum wanted to call me before I was Christened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3phase cut out for Isolation {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

we are not a team because we work together, we are a team because the marketing suits think it makes us look good to the punters.

pretty much the same as the local nick cell block is now a "custody suite"

suite my arse, it's a cell block.

Does your "Safe Isolation Dilema" come from a single or 3 Phase installation, would maybe sugest a call to the DNO to install a TP and N isolator
Thanks, Pete, it was in the title 3 Phase. I agree with you! Maybe the best approach would be to provide an Isolator & upgrade the supply so we can add a new DB & get rid of unnecessary Henley blocks across all phases. There are no means for further expansion at present. Anyway, hope the place does not burn down in the meantime. Cheers Guys.

The DNO usually only fit up to 100A 3 phase isolators for use with self-connection. After that, it is the customer to supply a switch-fuse/main switch with the "tails" going directly into the metering chamber.
Have you got only one load off each Henley block if not you would need to consider an MCCB panel board?
You need to find out the cause of the 60A switch fuse burning out.[/QUOTE]

Don't know what Sparkjack will call you?
Yep Peet, but I don't give one, he is a non entity in my life, a mere blot on the Horizon that you come across in this short life span we have as Human beings, not worth a second thought.

Yep Peet, but I don't give one, he is a non entity in my life, a mere blot on the Horizon that you come across in this short life span we have as Human beings, not worth a second thought.
You don't think much of him then Pete.:D

Am I bothered, does this face look bothered? do I give a Monkeys?

Reply to 3phase cut out for Isolation in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock