Discuss 4 Bed House CU replacement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Forty_Two

DIY
Reaction score
I have an electric car on order and I am having an EVC installed. This has brought the CU’s in my home under scrutiny and identified the fact that for various reasons they do not meet current regs. So out with the old and in with the new . . . oh that it would be that easy!

For me (the customer) getting quotes for these jobs is a nightmare on many levels not least comparing apples with onions. So instead of getting quotes to change the CU, I thought I’d try and get quote for that CU i.e. identify the CU I want to install and get quotes to install that CU . . . . in that way I can more easily see which is the cheapest quote. And, because the materials are a small cost compared with the labour I want to have the best quality CU.

So my questions are:
1. Which CU would you recommend I specify to replace my house CU with.
2. How many hours work is it to do this job?
3. Would a ‘Domestic Installer’ be sufficient or do the job or do I need an ‘Approved contractor’?

Attachments

• CU_main_house.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 12
How about . . . .
Hager 18th Edition Consumer Unit 14 Way with SPD and RCBO’s
Manufacturer's Part Number VML914CUSPDRK

Reactions: SJD
You need to speak to an electrician and get him to do a site visit. Then he can quote based on seeing the job.

I want this job doing and I want it doing for the best price. To get that would you advise going through 'Check a trade' and similar web sites or emailing individual electricians.

How do I get my work spec to all the local electricians to get the nest quote?

I want this job doing and I want it doing for the best price. To get that would you advise going through 'Check a trade' and similar web sites or emailing individual electricians.

How do I get my work spec to all the local electricians to get the nest quote?

Maybe there's someone on here who is close and would be willing to quote. Any takers........

Most electricians supply their own materials. That way they fit what they are happy to work with, and it’s easier if there’s ever a warranty claim.

Think about if, after the work, a circuit breaker fails because of a manufacturing problem, or bits missing, If they supplied it, they’ll come out and change it f.o.c
If you supplied it, they’ll charge the call out fee to replace it.

Yes, you can dictate whichever make of board you like, and they’ll quote to supply that board, but it’s generally not a good idea to supply it yourself and have them fit it.

How do I get my work spec to all the local electricians to get the best quote?

If by "best" quote you mean the cheapest, then the quality of the job is likely to be reflected in the price you haven't paid. Though paying an expensive price doesn't always get you a good quality job.

Word of mouth is often better, e.g. work you have seen and recommended by whoever commissioned it.

Reply to 4 Bed House CU replacement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net