Discuss 4 'unknown' switches operating hallway lights not working in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've come across some switches that I've never seen before (see pictures), there are 4 operating hallway downlights. The customer is currently turning hallway lights on and off using the mcb because the switches will not turn off the lights (they are permanently on).

Not really sure where to start because I've never seen these switches before... can anyone shed any light for me, or have any ideas on where I start fault finding. When you press the switches it makes a clicking noise in the fuseboard but lights do not turn off.

Thanks,

Kelly

Possible the switches may be overide switches for the lights and the lighting may be switched on via a pir sensor which could be faulty causing the lights to be on constant. This type of smart wiring is more common in new appartments etc

are these lv switches? noticed the metal plate isnt earthed and no sign of earth terminal. Get your voltage testers out. determine whether or not the switch is actually switching or not

you say theres a clicking noise in the board when the switches are pressed, it sounds like a time switch circuit, or control circuit where the switches are momentery contact type and in the board theres a small timer or contactor (the size of an MCB that can be set). if you here clicking in the board it sounds possibly that the contacts are welded in the timer/contactor or its been switched to permant overide. I would investigate whats clicking in the board..

Last edited by a moderator:
This certainly sounds as if it's some sort of ''impulse relay'' system.

If you can hear the relay clicking when you press/ touch these switch plates then it's doubtful anything is wrong with the relay. My guess is that one of these touch plate switches are faulty, not allowing the impulse relay to change over/release...

Reply to 4 'unknown' switches operating hallway lights not working in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net