Discuss 6ft fluorescent lights flickering in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

1supersam

Just after a bit of help?
Irecently partly re-wired a club house and installed a 3phase board, from this i wired in a sub board. On this sub board i have 2 showers there is also a 3rd shower. This is wired from the 3phase board, all 3 showers are on the same phase. The sub board also feeds the lighting in one half of the club house. when the three showers are running the 6ft fluorescent lights start to flicker and can go off and on. There are 5ft fluorescent lights and BC battern lights but thease do not flicker. it has all been tested and passed to BS7671, any ideas to rectify this fault would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

switch start, 5ft and 6ft lights are but only the 6ft ones are effected. How can i balance them out as the showers need to be on the same phase

max demand needs calculating then divided onto three phases, obviously in showers etc 400v should tried not to be introdiced if possible. i take it thats why showers need to be on same phase?

thanks will give that a go, the 3 showers are all in one big cubical next to each other. any idea why it is just the 6ft fluorescents that flicker ?

Will almost certainly be voltdrop, does seem some phase balancing is in order. I guess with three on a single phase must be bringing the phase upto the limits of its supply even on 100A board. what are the loadings to the other phases ?

Il throw a penny in the pond, possible lose connection on phase or less so on neutral could be a cause with re' to sub board, heat builds up when loaded this could be the case if 6ft's share same phase and other lighting on other phases not affected, your 6ft could be different brand or just that ballast have a tighter voltage tolerance if you are experiencing volts drop.
Can you enlighten me as to why you havent balanced the showers and quote reg's for reasoning?

Just to add can you enlighten to the duty of the showers, you say it a clubhouse but will their be a heavy usage, domestic showers are really designed for domestic use and if you want to fit one where its use will greatly exceed that of a family using a shower then i would consult with the manufacturers, this kind of set up really isn't ideal and looking at gas or large storage tank may be better and due to the need for an extra one i assume their is a demand for them.

I was once told that you can't have electronic ballast fluorescents and switch starts on the same switched circuit. The spark undertaking the works had changed all lights on the same circuit for this reason, so I didn't get to see the before & after. Or the effect he had mentioned. At the time I thought it bullsh1t, but never heard of it before or since.
Anyone heard of this?

Reply to 6ft fluorescent lights flickering in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net