• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss A complete house rewire where to start???? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
ok so I know I'm gonna get a lot of abuse but I'm really interested to know how competent people work and the order they do things in.

I've recently moved into a new house and the wiring is old and has been poorly done, lots of annoying features like not enough sockets, no point of isolation for cooker or kitchen appliances, sockets cut into skirting board and minimum amount of rcd protection, I've checked insualtion resistance and continuity the installation is safe but old fashion and not well thought out.

I want to do a complete rewire, I've installed a isolator and had a look under floors boards to see where the current wiring is routed but what is the correct order to do things in, is there some sort of flow chart for best practice, would you cut out all the socket boxes first or run the cables first. Is there any reading material on house bashing and the best order to do things in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a complete novice I've done my 18th, part P, initial testing and verification, I understand all the theory, BINZ and design element but what's the best way to go about things for the execution (poor choice of words). I've been doing a fair bit of work as a electricians mate but it's mainly been little jobs in a commercial setting and never a big project like this, also I want to use this work to get nappet or stroma recognition.

Thanks in advance

Plan carefully what you isolate and what you can leave on. Remember you'll need light for working and power for charging/kettle/ radio etc.

Top to bottom as @7029 dave suggests is a good idea. Finish that, and temp connect to give you light to work on the upper floor sockets and the lower floor lights at the same time if you have floorboards up.

You don't say how big your house is, and if the rewire will be followed by redecorating.
Unfortunately you cant make an omelette without breaking some eggs. Prepare to make a LOT of mess!

If you have a family and you are working and cannot devote your full time to it ; this will be a nightmare to live in.
You will have to envisage your own plan according to your needs , keeping the kitchen and bathroom operational is a high priority if the job is going to be protracted . Only you will know really, but good luck anyway.

Well mon brave, remove all old fittings and cable where possible. Fit all boxes in walls etc. New consumer unit affixed. Run all cables. plaster in chases. Thats first fix done. Second fix terminate all cables. Dont forget to test as you go. Do all dead tests before commissioning. Commission then do all live tests. Issue EIC. Notify scheme building control notice comes through. Job done. Sound easy really now I look at it like that. Five days in empty house, ages in occupied and missus nagging you all day and night about crap work and when it's gonna get done as well as the dust and on and on.

Completely agree, but this a great way to get more experience.

It's a four bedroom house, and most the rooms will be redecorated in some way, but I have to keep the house liveable, I can't rip gutt the place and start again,

ok so I know I'm gonna get a lot of abuse but I'm really interested to know how competent people work and the order they do things in.

I've recently moved into a new house and the wiring is old and has been poorly done, lots of annoying features like not enough sockets, no point of isolation for cooker or kitchen appliances, sockets cut into skirting board and minimum amount of rcd protection, I've checked insualtion resistance and continuity the installation is safe but old fashion and not well thought out.

I want to do a complete rewire, I've installed a isolator and had a look under floors boards to see where the current wiring is routed but what is the correct order to do things in, is there some sort of flow chart for best practice, would you cut out all the socket boxes first or run the cables first. Is there any reading material on house bashing and the best order to do things in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a complete novice I've done my 18th, part P, initial testing and verification, I understand all the theory, BINZ and design element but what's the best way to go about things for the execution (poor choice of words). I've been doing a fair bit of work as a electricians mate but it's mainly been little jobs in a commercial setting and never a big project like this, also I want to use this work to get nappet or stroma recognition.

Thanks in advance
Up stairs lighting
Completely agree, but this a great way to get more experience.

It's a four bedroom house, and most the rooms will be redecorated in some way, but I have to keep the house liveable, I can't rip gutt the place and start again,
Start by rewiring the upstairs lighting, this will give you a feel of how labour intensive a rewire is, if yo have any help you should be able to complete this area in a long day.
You don't mention, if you have a wooden floor on the ground floor, if you have, you could then tackle the ground floor sockets, cooker, bonding and anything else that may become evident whilst this area is being pulled apart, forgot to say leave the old switchgear inplace, by doing this you can if the client wishes temporarily connect a socket for overnight, this part with help could take up to 3 days, leave any making good until the rewire is complete, if you are making good yourself, if makes sense to do it all at once, not piecemeal on a daily basis.
Now comes the hardest part in my opinion, the ground floor lighting, and the upstairs sockets, this needs careful planning, try to get the homeowner to dissapear for the day, plan which areas you want to disturb, move the furniture around to suit, if you have employed a carpet fitter/floor layer to lift any carpets or laminate, this also needs planning beforehand. The biggest problem will be leaving the house habitable after you have knocked off for the day, 2 to 3 days should see this part to completion.
Remember to leave any old wiring still left in situ safe as well.
Once these areas have been rewired, time to fit new CU etc and testing and certifying, 2 days should be ample, if there are no problems, if you are making good a day should see this off, depending of course on how much damage you have caused.
Its been a long time since I have done a live in rewire, so there could be some omissions, on the last day it's always a good thing to take the client around the place, explaining why you had to do it this or that way, snagging I think it was called, if you are confident you have covered everything this shouldn't take long at all, good luck.
If I have missed anything, or miscalculated the time frame, I'm positive there will be someone on the Forum with something to say, as I mentioned it's been a while.

Thanks in advance

Could you elaborate on “ive done my part p”????
Part p is not a qualification. Youve just done/been sold a worthless course!

Up stairs lighting

Start by rewiring the upstairs lighting, this will give you a feel of how labour intensive a rewire is, if yo have any help you should be able to complete this area in a long day.
You don't mention, if you have a wooden floor on the ground floor, if you have, you could then tackle the ground floor sockets, cooker, bonding and anything else that may become evident whilst this area is being pulled apart, forgot to say leave the old switchgear inplace, by doing this you can if the client wishes temporarily connect a socket for overnight, this part with help could take up to 3 days, leave any making good until the rewire is complete, if you are making good yourself, if makes sense to do it all at once, not piecemeal on a daily basis.
Now comes the hardest part in my opinion, the ground floor lighting, and the upstairs sockets, this needs careful planning, try to get the homeowner to dissapear for the day, plan which areas you want to disturb, move the furniture around to suit, if you have employed a carpet fitter/floor layer to lift any carpets or laminate, this also needs planning beforehand. The biggest problem will be leaving the house habitable after you have knocked off for the day, 2 to 3 days should see this part to completion.
Remember to leave any old wiring still left in situ safe as well.
Once these areas have been rewired, time to fit new CU etc and testing and certifying, 2 days should be ample, if there are no problems, if you are making good a day should see this off, depending of course on how much damage you have caused.
Its been a long time since I have done a live in rewire, so there could be some omissions, on the last day it's always a good thing to take the client around the place, explaining why you had to do it this or that way, snagging I think it was called, if you are confident you have covered everything this shouldn't take long at all, good luck.
If I have missed anything, or miscalculated the time frame, I'm positive there will be someone on the Forum with something to say, as I mentioned it's been a while.
That’s a great post,in the 70’s we did loads of council houses,me & my mate,your spot on with the work schedule.
Good luck to you on the rewire

I don't think its beyond the OP's scope to do this work, although perhaps he could qualify his qualifications, and perhaps cite them in his profile page.

Would appear your are doing this rewire in your own property, whilst yourself & family are living in the place?

What other works besides the rewire would take place, before, during & after the rewire?

Good advice from others. You have to doing the work, whilst still leaving it habital. As suggested some thinking, before starting work will be required to facilitate living in the place. Consider where your cable runs in voids will be, can they be done in a different place to existing. Planning the amount of cables that are likely to be in those runs, you'll only have so many joist to drill holes in.

You could consider running radial/RFC circuits and placement of outlets, and leave existing working until a particular point. I would be running my new final circuits as many as possible, but not energising. What thats done, only install and swop over your CU's. If the kitchen is being refurbished, run the cables to a particular point, then do the kitchen refurb, after that. Another thing I seen done is sockets done for one side of the property etc, as opposed each level or floor, so you still have existing sockets available.

Good luck. :)

I don't think its beyond the OP's scope to do this work, although perhaps he could qualify his qualifications, and perhaps cite them in his profile page.

Would appear your are doing this rewire in your own property, whilst yourself & family are living in the place?

What other works besides the rewire would take place, before, during & after the rewire?

Good advice from others. You have to doing the work, whilst still leaving it habital. As suggested some thinking, before starting work will be required to facilitate living in the place. Consider where your cable runs in voids will be, can they be done in a different place to existing. Planning the amount of cables that are likely to be in those runs, you'll only have so many joist to drill holes in.

You could consider running radial/RFC circuits and placement of outlets, and leave existing working until a particular point. I would be running my new final circuits as many as possible, but not energising. What thats done, only install and swop over your CU's. If the kitchen is being refurbished, run the cables to a particular point, then do the kitchen refurb, after that. Another thing I seen done is sockets done for one side of the property etc, as opposed each level or floor, so you still have existing sockets available.

Good luck. :)
Agree with the first Pargraph

Starting points for me....mark up walls and ceilings then check joist directions and plan cable routes, and make sure your new consumer unit fits where you want it to..
Then prepare for a lot of mess and disruption, as you say you are living there during works so you have more time to plan and do the works,kitchen will be the most amount of disruption especially if you aren’t renewing it at the same time.
I’ve done one before in my own property and managed to leave most of the existing installation in situ untill it came to swooping out the CU.
You’ll be fine just plan and take your time :)

Starting points for me....mark up walls and ceilings then check joist directions and plan cable routes, and make sure your new consumer unit fits where you want it to..
Then prepare for a lot of mess and disruption, as you say you are living there during works so you have more time to plan and do the works,kitchen will be the most amount of disruption especially if you aren’t renewing it at the same time.
I’ve done one before in my own property and managed to leave most of the existing installation in situ untill it came to swooping out the CU.
You’ll be fine just plan and take your time :)
Sound and sensible ideas in theory, but of course if all goe to plan you could be on a winner, we all know that the best intentions hardly ever work, in my experience if you chase everything before any wiring is done, what would happen if when it come to actually doing any wiring you find that it's impossible to get the new cables where your chases are? get the cables in situ prior to any chasing.
Rewires done using obviously skill, but more importantly thinking on the hoof, you will never be able
plan your cable route 100% you have to change routing as you go most of the time, depending on how the House joist are laid out, yes I agree check the way the joist are running, but like most things it doesn't always turn out the way you think, knowing the theory of the circuitry required is only half of the story, solving routing etc is the rest, your ideas are sound in theory, but having done many rewires, they don't always pan out the way you would expect. Sorry for the ramble.

@Pete999 . Like finding an RSJ in a property you would least expect it...
Or they needed to beef up the loading by slapping a piece of joist between two joists at 90 deg thus blocking your carefully planned cable routing, have seen some floors where lou look at the way the joists are running, only to find in the middle of the room they change direction, that's a pain isn't it?

Reply to A complete house rewire where to start???? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back