Discuss A simple lightning rod vs a commercial in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What is the difference from a simple lghtning rod vs the modern ones they sell for 1,000pounds ? Do these really work so much better ?

Attachments

• dk8-bx10-early.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 13
  • lightning-rod-500x500.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 13
Probably about £950

Not quite sure what you are asking without a bit more info,

Lightning finials come in many different shapes and lengths and materials, the 2 you have shown one looks quite short and the is long and both look to be manufactured using different materials

As UNG, not sure exactly what the question is, but the difference between simple and commercial products is mainly that commercially produced ones are designed, engineered, extensively tested and guarenteed to work.

And in the case of lightning protection to not cause any damage to the building whilst the protection system is being hit by lightning.

Additionally a simple rod or system wouldn't be accepted by a building's insurer, if lightning protection is a condition of insurance.

The first picture is an ESE and the second a regular air terminal. The ESE is expensive but only needs 2 downconductors and earths so normally quite a cost saving.

Reply to A simple lightning rod vs a commercial in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

There is a lightning rod on the house. But is it safe to use? Lightning can cause damage to, for example, a tree, destroying it completely. It's...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've read much about ac vs dc but can't find a 'simple' answer. If current alternates 50 times per second in a uk mains circuit, why do live...
Replies
Views
Sensors are all around us, from the automatic doors we walk through to the motion detectors that turn on our outdoor lights. But how do these...
Replies
Views
Are you looking for the perfect light bulb for your project? If so, you may be wondering whether cool white or warm white is the best. In this...
Replies
Views
Hey all, I'm not sure if I'm over thinking this, but I can't seem to find the answer to what I believe should be a simple question. I picked up...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock