Discuss Adding new lights. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jack_razzak

Hi there, Was just wondering if someone could look over this wiring diagram and also let me know the thinkness of wire needed to make everything safe. Thank you.
Circuit Diagram 2.jpg

Hi there, Was just wondering if someone could look over this wiring diagram and also let me know the thinkness of wire needed to make everything safe. Thank you.

Having the circuit, designed, installed and checked by a qualified exp spark will "make everything safe"

As its not just the thickness of the wire you need competency. Although non notifiable this should be checked by a qualified spark for compliance of Part P (Electrical Safety) of the building regulations.

Last edited by a moderator:
sound is mechanical vibrations transmitted through an elastic medium, traveling in air at a speed of approximately 1087 ft. (331 m) per second at sea level. I have no idea what that looks like. like I have no idea about certaing things required to comment on your drawing.

You are clearly determined to be as unhelpfull as possible. A simple "Yes" or "Know" would have sufficed.

Sorry you feel like that but if you are not sure how to wire something then you should get a qualified compitent person to do it. No offence.

all i can say is to use same size cable as existing (1,5mm?) and use a 60watt transformer for each halogen fitting. i must stress however that unless you are completely confidentand competent in doing this work leave it for a qualified sparks. at least get a sparks to check it for you. at the end of the day, i don't know what your personal occupation is, but i would not try to do your job. , the same as i would not perform brain surgery or tree felling. electrical installation is a specialized industry and should be left to the professionals. how are you going to test the job???

Calculating the required cable is simple and any apprentice could do it, with either an OSG or the reg's.The problem is that if you can't calculate the cable size, how will you know how to comply with the rest of the reg's, also where are the extensions to the circuit going to be? if they may be part p notifiable.

Is the work in a bathroom? is there an rcd on that circuit? have you/can you test its effectiveness before the work starts

How will you test and certify this work ?

Do you know where you can and can't run the cable and which timbers you can drill and which you can't and where and how you can drill the one's your allowed to drill to keep the structural integrity.

In the interest of safety ( for others more than yourself) ,please think very carefully before undertaking this work. It is not a walk in the park to do electrical works of any type and the skills required are not as straight forward as you think .

I personally prefer mains voltage whenever possible,the transformer being just another extra item that can fail in future

The cable for the primary side switching will be carrying less current at a higher voltage, so need be 1.0mm only,
Use flexible cable from each downlight,terminated into a choc box or junction box,dont try and loop twin+e at the fitting connection points or just stuffing connector blocks into the ceiling void,thats not permitted or good practice,allthough routinely terminated that way by diyers
Carry out the practical side with the care that you used for your diagram and you will do a satisfactory installation
Any electrical installation carried out should be tested for compliance of that installation,if that is beyond your ability,then have a qualified spark give advise and test your installation for you
Depending on the location of the install,other requirements,such as rcd and Ip ratings are to be followed,cable sizes are affected by length,routing through insulation,load etc

The install in itself is very straightforward,but buildding regulations and protective measures required by IEE regulations means that many of these type of jobs carried out are neither safe or permitted,so take care to follow them

Elomte, I'm not a sparker but just a plumbing student.
If the existing lights are a domestic 240v ring I know the wire required here is a twin and earth 1.5mm off the ring, and if wiring to the transformer that you might be ok as you have sufficient trans size to the downlights you have selected here.
Good luck keep posting

Spanner

Reply to Adding new lights. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net