Discuss Adding outside floodlight light from spur. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

finlamit

DIY
Reaction score
HI All

Need some advice. I had an electrician professionally install power to my garage. Here is how he did it.

Spurred off a socket on the ring main to a 13A fused switch. Then through the wall to a water proof junction box on other side of wall. Then waterproof cable along fence into garage into 2g socket. Then from that socket into a 5A fused switch to the garage light.

What I would like to do is wire a flood light, on the wall above the waterproof junction box. Ideally I would like it to be controlled by a switch inside the house (for security so nobody outside can turn it off). Any ideas how I can achieve this?

I have attached a (cr*p) drawing to show current setup, with the new light in green.

Thanks!

M

Attachments

• Adding outside floodlight light from spur. IMG_20201031_094648 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20201031_094648.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 25
If it has to be on the house then get the sparky in to see what is best.

Outside lights are more prone to failure with water getting in than most electrical stuff so you really want to make sure it won't deprive you of house lights or sockets under that condition. Ideally via a separate circuit, but at the very least by having a double-pole isolating switch (so N-E faults won't trip house RCDs).

Can it go on the garage and provide enough lighting?

The easy DIY option is to use a PIR light and plug it in to the 13A socket (with a 3A fuse!). By time some ne'er-do-wells have broken in to your garage to switch the light off it is kind of too late for the light to be offering much security!

If doing it that way get some outdoor rated cable such as the rubber H07RN-F style here:
https://www.superlecdirect.com/cabl...07rnf-epr-pcp-flexible-mains-cable-en6033212/

Some PIR light have the cable going in to them so run that wire in directly, others have a short 0.5-1m length coming out so you will need a waterproof junction box (e.g. Whisk box and some IP68 glands) or a proper waterproof in-line plug and socket such as this:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WPQC2.html

I had the unfortunate experience of coming into contact with some unsavoury people who made a living by breaking into other peoples property to relieve them of ownership, their opinion was they loved security lights as it let then see what they where doing and nobody took any notice of them coming on occasionally, but they did not like cameras, especially ones that can take a pictures in darkness, they scope out a target during the day and know what security measures they need to avoid, easier to move onto the next property than take a risk of being filmed.

Personally I would go for screened vaseline/Gel filled cable. (No smilies available)

2 pieces of 20mm black pvc conduit, stuck together, side by side, poking out of the bedroom window is a good deterrent.

Funny you should say that, one of the local guys had an uninvited car spontaneously combust on his driveway, when the police questioned him about the multiple holes in the rear wing by the petrol tank he had no idea why they where there.

Reply to Adding outside floodlight light from spur. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock