Discuss Adiabiatic & voltage drop in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

aaelectric

Hi all,
been trying to work this out now and carnt get my head round some of the calculations.
please see where im going wrong.
voltage drop:
so 63amp mcb supplying electric boiler, run is approx 25 meters in 16mm twin & earth.
so Mv/a/m x length x amps divided by 1000= 2.8x25x63 divided by 1000=4.41%
which means its under 5% so is ok?

also trying to work out the adiabiatic equation to see if earth is big enough:
so i worked out zs first: zs=ze+r1+r2 so ohms per meter for 16mmtwin & earth is 0.00423 per meter.
so 0.00423x25meters=0.11.
next is 230v divided by 0.11=2,090
this is where ia am stuck any help would be great

also trying to work out adiabiatic on main cable. Soo.
tncs system with ze of 0.15 at main and 1.5Ka. The flat is being feed from a 5419 60amp isolator in 16mm twin and earth. Zdb at fuseboard is 0.19 and 1.2Ka. Its about 10 meter run from main fuse, how would i go about this one.
cheersguys hopes this clears things up and someone shows an easy way of calculating this.
also when filling out the eicr where is says main earth would this be the earth in the 16mm t&e or the 16mm earth going to MET at service head.

so 63amp mcb supplying electric boiler, run is approx 25 meters in 16mm twin & earth.
Use the actual amperage of the load and you need to multiply by 2 (for the circuit).

Also the result - actually 8.82 is Volts not percentage. 230 x 5% = 11.5V so it's ok.

so i worked out zs first: zs=ze+r1+r2 so ohms per meter for 16mmtwin & earth is 0.00423 per meter.
You wrote Zs = Ze + R1 + R2 but you have not done it.
You need to use Zs so add on Zdb, 0.11 + 0.19 = 0.30
230/0.30 = 767A

tncs system with ze of 0.15 at main and 1.5Ka. The flat is being feed from a 5419 60amp isolator in 16mm twin and earth. Zdb at fuseboard is 0.19 and 1.2Ka. Its about 10 meter run from main fuse, how would i go about this one.
(sq.rt.(I² t)) / k.

Use the actual amperage of the load and you need to multiply by 2 (for the circuit).

Also the result - actually 8.82 is Volts not percentage. 230 x 5% = 11.5V so it's ok.

You wrote Zs = Ze + R1 + R2 but you have not done it.
You need to use Zs so add on Zdb, 0.11 + 0.19 = 0.30
230/0.30 = 767A

(sq.rt.(I² t)) / k.

Why are you doubling the voltage drop? the 2.8mVolts/meter/amp is taken from the onsite guide so is for R1+R2 and including the adjustment for 70DegC.
EDIT: actually it is R1+Rn for voltage drop. Must turn my brain on before typing.....

Hi all,
been trying to work this out now and carnt get my head round some of the calculations.
please see where im going wrong.
voltage drop:
which means its under 5% so is ok?

The result you have (4.41) is volts, not percentage. 230V x 5% = 11.5V so 4.41V is within 5%. Other than that, contrary to what Geoff said (sorry pal), you are correct.

this is where ia am stuck any help would be great

You're working out your equation wrong.

You first need to measure the PFC at the point where the 63A MCB is to be utilised which you've already done and got a value of 1.2kA, this is 'I'.
You then need to use data from the manufacturer of the MCB or the time/current curve graphs in Appendix 3 of the BGB to ascertain the breaking time of that MCB under the load measured (because the breaker is above 32A the time needs to be below 5 seconds). In this case, the PFC is 1.5kA, so the 63A MCB (assuming B type) would trip in about 0.01s, this value is 't'.
Now find out what the 'k' value is by using tables 54.2-6 in Chapter 54 of the BGB. For T&E you would use the value of 115 for 'k' as found in table 54.3.

These are the only figures you need. The adiabatic equation is; The square root of I x I x t, then divide that by 'k'.

In this example that would be (1200 x 1200 x 0.01 square rooted) divided by 115. This gives you a minimum csa of CPC as 1.04mm (or 1.5mm)

cheersguys hopes this clears things up and someone shows an easy way of calculating this.
also when filling out the eicr where is says main earth would this be the earth in the 16mm t&e or the 16mm earth going to MET at service head.

Use the same equation as above but your PFC is now 1.5kA instead of 1.2kA and your main fuse I'm assuming is a 60A BS88 as you mentioned a 60A isolator. 1.5kA would blow a 60A BS88 in roughly 0.05 seconds. Also, your 'k' value is still the same, although you will almost certainly have a seperate main earthing comductor from the service head to the MET, your main earthing conductor to the flat is in T&E.

Your equation for the CSA of the main earth is (1500 x 1500 x 0.05 square rooted) divided by 115. This gives you a minimum CSA of main earthing conductor as 2.92mm (4mm for TN-S or 10mm for TN-C-S)

Your main earthing conductor will be the one that goes between your MET and your service head and also the main earth supplying the flat.

After all this however, my main question to you would be how are you achieving discrimination by having a 63A MCB in a DB protected by a 60A fuse?

Edit:

Not quite right, you use the size of the protective device. Also there is no need to double the mV/A/m value as the value given takes account of the fact that there are two conductors.

Last edited:
I'm in a picky mood today I think. surely 0.1s not 0.01? That being the minimum time on the graphs for 60898 MCBs........

It's a rough guess, the graphs given in the BGB are rough guesses also. The most accurate way to find out would be to use manufacturers data, hovever I can assure you that 1.2kA would trip a 63A B type a lot faster than 0.1s.

To conduct the adiabatic equation, you need to work out the PFC that will flow through the overcurrent protective device.
Using the values quoted in the 'Time/Current characteristics' in Appendix 3, or obtained from the device manufacturer.
Conduct the equation.
If for instance you have a PFC of 2,090A and a Type B 63A MCB, the device will operate (according to Fig 3A4) within 0.1s (in truth it will probably operate within 0.01s).
However using the values in the chart:
315V X 315V = 99225
99225 X 0.1s = 9922.5
√9922.5 = 99.6
99.6 / 115(k) = 0.866mm²
99.6 / 143(k) = 0.7mm².

It's a rough guess, the graphs given in the BGB are rough guesses also. The most accurate way to find out would be to use manufacturers data, hovever I can assure you that 1.2kA would trip a 63A B type a lot faster than 0.1s.

Fair enough but I was taught not to extrapolate the graphs below those shown. i.e. never use a t<0.1s as there is no data to support it. (unless you can find it in specific manufacturers specs of course)

Fair enough but I was taught not to extrapolate the graphs below those shown. i.e. never use a t<0.1s as there is no data to support it. (unless you can find it in specific manufacturers specs of course)

You're right, however through experience and also having the manufacturers data of many types and brands of OCPD to hand, I can say quite confidently that 0.01 is much more accurate than 0.1.

To conduct the adiabatic equation, you need to work out the PFC that will flow through the overcurrent protective device.
Using the values quoted in the 'Time/Current characteristics' in Appendix 3, or obtained from the device manufacturer.
Conduct the equation.
If for instance you have a PFC of 2,090A and a Type B 63A MCB, the device will operate (according to Fig 2A4) within 0.1s (in truth it will probably operate within 0.01s).
However using the values in the chart:
315V X 315V = 99225
99225 X 0.1s = 9922.5
√9922.5 = 99.6
99.6 / 115(k) = 0.866mm²
99.6 / 143(k) = 0.7mm².

You've confused me spin, where did the 315V x 315V come from? you say just above a PFC of 2090 although there you appear to have ignored Ze....

You've confused me spin, where did the 315V x 315V come from? you say just above a PFC of 2090 although there you appear to have ignored Ze....

He has used the table on the right hand side of the time/current graph, 315A is the lowest amount of fault current needed to trip the MCB within its required 5s.

And yes, well spotted, it should be 315A not 315V :)

The problem with using the instantaneous operating time of 0.01s, is that you would also have to use the value of current which would cause instantaneous tripping.
Just using the measured/calculated value of PFC will result in a CSA greater than required.
In practice this is often immaterial, as the calculation will generally produce a non standard size and the nearest available standard size with a greater CSA than that produced by the equation will work for both methods.
However, to my mind whenever the adiabatic equation is conducted, it should be conducted correctly.
Either use the values in Appendix 3, or actual values, measured and determined from manufacturers' data.
Not a combination of both.

I'm using the information provided by the OP.
I don't know how the OP has worked out the value of 2090A, but it is the figure they have.
Yes it should be 315A not 315V.

You're right, however through experience and also having the manufacturers data of many types and brands of OCPD to hand, I can say quite confidently that 0.01 is much more accurate than 0.1.

Agreed, I've got a couple of specs to hand and the match what you say. I think I would still use 0.1 unless I was desperate to get a smaller cable though just to stop someone who uses the tables arguing with me :lol:

He has used the table on the right hand side of the time/current graph, 315A is the lowest amount of fault current needed to trip the MCB within its required 5s.

Ah, but should you do that? I thought I was the Ipf. i.e. what fault current will flow on a low impedence fault. Not the minimum MCB trip current.

Seems our posts are crossing, so I'll just attempt to reiterate.
Either use the measured values, and those supplied by the manufacturer.
Or use the values in Appendix 3.
Do not use a mishmosh of values, some measured, some extrapolated and some from Appendix 3.

Seems our posts are crossing, so I'll just attempt to reiterate.
Either use the measured values, and those supplied by the manufacturer.
Or use the values in Appendix 3.
Do not use a mishmosh of values, some measured, some extrapolated and some from Appendix 3.

Still not sure I agree with you though :(

Starting again.....
1st - figures from appendix 3: 320A will trip in 0.1s. Ok, fine that gives 0.87mm2.
but if you put a short on that cable the current will be limited by Zs. that is 2090A (lets assume) not 320A. So ok, lets use Ipf (2090A) and the manufacturers data of 0.01s. Gives 1.83mm2.
Ok. So "real" figures are showing that if you had used the table figures your cable would fry in a fault condition ;)

I use the Ipf plus the Appendix 3 graph times (which stop at 0.1s). So 2090A & 0.1s gives 5.8mm2. So yes, I have got a cable much bigger than necessary (but actually still less than the minimum normally fitted for a main earth.....)

So I can see Mr Skelton's use the real data is better (i.e. more accurate and saves copper) but I can't see how your using the table current figures can work as it gives a cable 1/2 that actually required.
What is the flaw in my logic? I've seen the table current figures used before in the adiabatic but I just don't see it.... :(

Still not sure I agree with you though :(

Starting again.....
1st - figures from appendix 3: 320A will trip in 0.1s. Ok, fine that gives 0.87mm2.
but if you put a short on that cable the current will be limited by Zs. that is 2090A (lets assume) not 320A. So ok, lets use Ipf (2090A) and the manufacturers data of 0.01s. Gives 1.83mm2.
Ok. So "real" figures are showing that if you had used the table figures your cable would fry in a fault condition ;)

I use the Ipf plus the Appendix 3 graph times (which stop at 0.1s). So 2090A & 0.1s gives 5.8mm2. So yes, I have got a cable much bigger than necessary (but actually still less than the minimum normally fitted for a main earth.....)

So I can see Mr Skelton's use the real data is better (i.e. more accurate and saves copper) but I can't see how your using the table current figures can work as it gives a cable 1/2 that actually required.
What is the flaw in my logic? I've seen the table current figures used before in the adiabatic but I just don't see it.... :(

If the PFC was 2090A, then you would use the manufacturers data and realise that the tripping time would then be closer to 0.001s.

The higher the PFC, the faster the breaker will trip. That is the slight flaw in your logic :)

(The posts are also confusing the various opds., Ipfs. and Zss. - nevertheless -)

The overcurrent protective device breaking does not limit the Ipf to 315A.

The full IPF will flow before the opd breaks the circuit - however quick.

Reply to Adiabiatic & voltage drop in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net