Discuss Advice about Agencies - Any recommendations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
So I have been looking through a list that was posted on here and registering my CV with them. I have seen some of the reviews on Google and some are really awful.

There is also a lot of mention about Ltd Companies and Umbrella Companies which I am not too familiar with. So any information on that would be great.

I have also been approaching local electrical companies, wholesalers etc, I have emailed and phoned close to 200 and had nothing back, which is rather worrying. Obviously, I am going to keep trying, but I am running out of options, plus with it being Christmas the last of my redundancy money will only last I think till the end of December.

End of the year, begining of the next, is always hard for work.
Umbrella is something you want to steer clear of.
Out of the money you get paid, they deduct tax, NI and employer’s NI, as if you were PAYE.
But you’re not actually employed by anyone.

A lot of people chose Ltd, because they would pay themselves minimum wages so as not to pay tax or NI on their wages, they pay the rest as a dividend, which they would not have to pay NI on.

I used to be Ltd, just to avoid paying the payroll fee.
Whatever the agency paid my Ltd. Co. I would pay direct to myself.

In the past I have used Diamond, 1st Step and Workmates (not sure if Workmates is still going), currently I am using Fast Track and recently have used Artisan.
I would advise avoiding BMSL, Shore Group and OHUK.
Have worked for Dutton in the past without trouble.
Also Bridge recruitment.
I frequently get calls from CSS, though I don’t actually recall working for them.

If I get any texts for work in the next couple of weeks, I’ll try to post them on here for you.

Any dividends over £2000 you pay 7.5% tax on, on a personal level.

Worked for Shoregroup and BMSL and never had a problem.

Most agencies are fine, but if your time sheet don't get signed/submitted by the company you work for you don't get paid its that simple.

*JIB Electricians required for a project in Stratford, London*

*Start:* Monday
*Duration:* 6 Months
*Working Hours:* 50 hours per week (7.00 - 16.30 Monday to Friday)
*Project Type:* Office Fit Out
*Rate:* £20.00 per Hour

Please call Mark on 07794197588 if interested.

They look good, just a shame they are in London. I’m hoping to get something around Liverpool. Which seems to be very little. I’ve applied for 2 that I’ve seen this morning.

All agencies are in it for themselves, they are not your friends........ Wait until you experience the IT side of agencies as they take it to another level........ ;o))))

As a contractor or PAYE?

Full time. Last 8 years I’ve been a software developer. But due to being made redundant, and the companies that are out there being selfish, plus it’s a horrible industry. I decided to make the switch and become an electrician. Hence the need to find a job as a mate. Even on minimum wage would do.

Full time. Last 8 years I’ve been a software developer. But due to being made redundant, and the companies that are out there being selfish, plus it’s a horrible industry. I decided to make the switch and become an electrician. Hence the need to find a job as a mate. Even on minimum wage would do.
27 years here in IT moved on back in the late 80's early 90's before the building trade collapsed.

There is more money to be made in software development then in sparking, any knowledge in SQL?

Also if you know IT then the CISCO route may be more profitable.

27 years here in IT moved on back in the late 80's early 90's before the building trade collapsed.

There is more money to be made in software development then in sparking, any knowledge in SQL?

Also if you know IT then the CISCO route may be more profitable.

There is money, my commercial experience is around 4-5 years of which you would only get around mid 20k for about the same as a mate. I’ve looked at Cisco before now, some of the courses are expensive, but it’s more about finding the right company for that.

I just don’t fancy going back into development as it’s too easy for companies to let you go. I enjoy the spark work more tbh, plus I think there are more opportunities as a spark.

There is money, my commercial experience is around 4-5 years of which you would only get around mid 20k for about the same as a mate. I’ve looked at Cisco before now, some of the courses are expensive, but it’s more about finding the right company for that.

I just don’t fancy going back into development as it’s too easy for companies to let you go. I enjoy the spark work more tbh, plus I think there are more opportunities as a spark.
At the end of day its worth doing something that you enjoy, I got bored of IT and hate it, I was looking at getting back in to sparking but of the moaners on here put me off that idea ;o)))))

Require 2 sparks to start tues/ weds on night 12 hrs 7 day till Feb in consett near Durham pls call if available to discuss 07876685574

Thanks it’s a bit too far. I’ve registered with the agencies you mentioned. Hopefully something turns up that’s not too far away.

I have applied for a few that were in and around Liverpool. See what happens with them. Thanks for putting the other up, someone else could use them.

I have applied for a few that were in and around Liverpool. See what happens with them. Thanks for putting the other up, someone else could use them.
I mostly get offered work in and around London.
Though I have worked as far North as Warrington, and as far South as Gibraltar.
I think CSS agency offered me work in Liverpool, might be an idea to sign up with them.

I mostly get offered work in and around London.
Though I have worked as far North as Warrington, and as far South as Gibraltar.
I think CSS agency offered me work in Liverpool, might be an idea to sign up with them.

I’ve signed up with them and sent off for a few more mates jobs today. See if anything comes back. I’m going to have to sign on soon.

Reply to Advice about Agencies - Any recommendations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net