Discuss Advice and help regarding experience... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DMF123

-
Reaction score
Hello, firstly I have enjoy reading and learning from this forum. Thanks..

I need some advice and possibly some help. A couple of years ago I was ear marked for redundancy from a Data Cabling/Comms firm, and I decided that I wanted change and move into Electrical sector. I then signed up to my local college, worked through and passed C & G 2330 L2 and L3 and 17th edtion. It was a lot of work and time that I committed to get these qualifications, I did enjoy doing these and am now doing the C & G 2394. Which again, is alot of work.

My problem is my lack of experience. My contract with the firm was renewed and, due to family/financial commitments I can not afford to walk out and follow a full time roll as a mate. I have many days working with local sparks, trying to increase and add to my knowledge/experience. I have enjoyed the time studying, but I do not want to loose this knowledge or qualifications.

I am willing to work weekends, holidays and even the odd sick day, to have as much experience as possible.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

You have got stuck between a rock and a hard place. You want the experience but don't have the time. You need your full time job to fund the normal family stuff and bills which is understandable. Unfortunately as you will appreciate you cant have your cake and eat it. If you want a break into the industry you will almost certainly have to start at or near the bottom, and this will attract the lower end of the wage scale, which you can't afford to do. You will only get experience by working, and even doing the odd weekend, week or day here and there is not going to get you experience quickly. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to make the decision, do i stay or do i go.

Cheers...............Howard

Couple of things. Do your sums with achievable figures (i.e. long term positions), also for when 'goal' achieved.
Look at financial help offered- it's meant for those that want to better themselves but struggle to make ends meet. I don't know any figures but it'll be on gov sites
Discuss it with family. Sometimes you have to go backwards before moving forward.
Good luck

Thanks for your comments, I know I would have to take a drop in money, but thought redundancy would help. Strange hoping to be made redundant before I move on.

Alot of thinking and decisions to be made.

Reply to Advice and help regarding experience... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net