Discuss Am I right or wrong?! Bonding question! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

ben2012

I was always under the impression that you no longer had to bond across the pipes or to a metal sink in a kitchen providing all local circuits were on 30ma rcd. But a lad at work has had me doing it today saying as its not classed as a special location it had to be done? I've looked through the regs but cannot find anything to say either way. Any suggestions? Thanks

Well I think I'm just going to ask him where it says you need to do it, as I can't prove it either way! Thanks for the replies.

or look in OSG 4.6 old red OSG and 4.7 new green osg
Additional protection- supplementary equipotential bonding 415.2
says supp bonding may be required in some areas

If the installation meets the requirements for earthing and bonding then there is no specific requirements in BS7671 for supp equip bonding of

Kitchen pipes , sinks or draining boards
metallic boilerwork
metal furniture in kitchens
metallic pipes to hand basins and WCs
locations containing bathrooms providing the requiremnts of 701.415.2 are met

If you have main protective bonding in place in accordance with reg 411.3.2.1
all circuits comply with requirements for ADS according to 411.3.2
all final circuits have additional protection by rcd 30mA
then there is no requirement to install supplementary equipotential bonding in a bathroom

metallic waste pipes in contact with earth must be bonded to the MET see also 4.3 osg

Last edited:
Or if your an old git like me you can bond them whether there is RCD or not:)
No harm..............at all IMO.

No need to bond the aluminium greenhouse though...........it's outside the 'zone' and very near to a PD called 'true earth' lol.
Could be very dangerous !!!

Or if your an old git like me you can bond them whether there is RCD or not:)
No harm..............at all IMO.

No need to bond the aluminium greenhouse though...........it's outside the 'zone' and very near to a PD called 'true earth' lol.
Could be very dangerous !!!
lol...i know your game allan.....lol...

Reply to Am I right or wrong?! Bonding question! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net