Discuss Another fine mess?????? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

A couple of months back one of my neighbours let me know that they were having a new kitchen fitted in their rental property. The complete works were to be undertaken by a very well known major DIY chain. They apologised for not getting me involved (which was very nice of them) but the DIY chain "have their own people".

So here we are 5 weeks after the works are complete. In the kitchen the electrics required modification to incorporate some new sockets.

My neighbour has been chasing said DIY chain for the certificate and Part P notification and nothing has been forthcoming. An exchange of email has taken place and the outcome, so far, is that the kitchen installer did all the work on the kitchen, including the electrics, but he's not registered, nor could he test, nor could he notify. The fitter is not an employee of the DIY chain

So they've asked me to get involved!!!!!!!!

I'm going to speak to the installer tomorrow to get his side of the story.

I've taken a quick look at the new kitchen and the "old style" cooker point has been covered over and I'm guessing that the new sockets were run as a radial off this point. The "old point" is completely hidden by a wall cupboard so its anyones guess how the "extension" to the cable was made.

My thoughts are:

Who can now notify this? (I'm happy to do an EICR on the specific changed circuits)
What tactic should my neighbour take with the DIY chain?
Who's responsibility is it to talk to LABC? The DIY chain, the installer, my neighbour?

My thinks this is going to be protracted as my neighbour knows about Part P etc PLUS his letting agent is asking for the certificates!

Last edited by a moderator:
As it was work in a kitchen then either the local building control was notified in advance or the work was carried out by a part P registered electrician. If this was not the case then "can of worms" springs to mind.

Who's responsibility is it to talk to LABC? The DIY chain, the installer, my neighbour?

It's the householders responsibility to ensure legal, but I shoulod have thought diy.com would have stated to him/her that electricians are registered in which case they take responsibility.

It's the householders responsibility to ensure legal, but I shoulod have thought diy.com would have stated to him/her that electricians are registered in which case they take responsibility.

And to take that thought all the way the subcontractor will have signed saying he'll ensure the work is legal so he takes responsibility and the 'electrician' will have told the subcontractor he is legal so he takes responsibility.....but all of a sudden his phone will be on answer service and he won't be returning calls.

I rather think that my neighbour should tip this back to the DIY chain as I'm sure that they won't want the negative publicity PLUS shouldn't they, as the main contractor accept that they hold this responsibility??

I rather think that my neighbour should tip this back to the DIY chain as I'm sure that they won't want the negative publicity PLUS shouldn't they, as the main contractor accept that they hold this responsibility??

If I were you, i'd help them all the way, call them like you say and let us know what they say, try and get their name and do a competent persons search.

I would do the EICR, but whatever you find should not be rectified as if there is anything wrong than this cant be proved if it is put right, LABC and trading standards in my view should be informed, as a major chain you would think that they check their installation systems ie who they employ, and even though the responsibilty may well lie with the customer, it would be easier for them to claim ignorance then the Shed.

Who was the contract with for the works, and what does the contract have to say about certificates and notification.

Your client should seek advice from a solicitor. It might be argued that ykw can be sued for breach of contract as it would be reasonably expected that the complete works should include certs and notification. Without such the job is not complete and ykw have not met their obligations under the building regulations.

I think setting aside who's legally responsible for what, if the customer paid the DIY store for the installation then that's who I would go after for remedy. Plus they're the one with the brand name to maintain so they're more likely to do whatever it takes to get the matter sorted out without too much dust being kicked up.

I'd wait to hear what the installer says and what his reasons are for things like making connections inaccessible (with reference to the old cooker CCU), get as much information as possible on what he's done, and also find out what the deal is with the EIC.

I would have said that if B&Q insist on using their own subcontractors then it is their responsibility to ensure their subcontractors are up to the job, or that they sub the work out to someone who is.
If your neighbour went to B&Q and bought a kitchen off them, then the contract is with B&Q so it should be their responsibility to feed back the information down the line and get the problems rectified, even if it means using a different subcontractor - the client shouldn't be responsible for B&Q striking deals with 'the wrong' suppliers, just the same as if you buy a light fitting from them and it doesn't work you'd expect B&Q to issue you with a refund or replacement rather than having to send it back to the manufacturers in China or wherever.

If all else fails it you could just do an EICR as you say, which IMO makes the whole concept of the EIC seem kind of pointless.

I can't help wondering what was the completion date for this kitchen fit?
As the DIY chain took the contract on to install the kitchen, I feel it is their responsibility to ensure all the documentation is in place.
As the kitchen is not complete until all the paperwork has been handed over the project is still ongoing.
Has the neighbour paid for the project in full?
if he has, and he has paid all or part of it on a credit card, ask the credit cards company to get involved
(Visa has bigger legal department that you LABC)
As the project has not been completed, the property can not be let out, as a result the consiquence the customer cannot let out the house.

just a couple of thoughts

Hi Murdoch, my wife works for a large expensive bathroom company on the legal complaints such as this. I've asked her where your neighbour stands. Most have already said it above but at least you know its all great advice from the lads.

First off all the shed have to instruct/sub contract the work to a "veted" tradesmen with the correct training, qualifications and insurance. In this case they haven't instructed a competent person.

The shed is liable for any extra costs involved obtaining the associated documents and correcting any shortfalls on standards of workmanship (in our case its certs, part p, regs).
The whole of this problem falls on the shed and not the installer they supplied.

Your friend can claim for loss of income (rent) but inform the shed ASAP that this is a rented property and it can not be rented out without the relevant certs (not covered by insurance if not certed).

bottom line is they will put another team in to put it right, they will have that right, dont get in too deep, let it run its course, ****e i know but we had to do revisits for them , to be fair not often, on the bathrooms

Martin

UPDATE : From the horses mouth (well the kitchen fitters

The DIY chain subcontract all the fitting/electrics to the fitter
The kitchen fitter has altered 2 circuits, including leaving a non MF JB behind a newly plasterboarded wall
His NICEIC sparky normally comes and tests etc, and notifies, for £90.00
75% of his mates do exactly the same

So what to do next?

you could do as you suggested earlier. do a pir/eicr on the work, but you'll have to charge your neighbour for this, you're not a charity. give them a quote for any remedial work required and then they have some ammo to hit the shed with, cost of eicr+ remedial.

Reply to Another fine mess?????? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock