Discuss Any decent Motor/Controls courses in the UK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

harmonica

Hi, can anyone recommend any courses with lots of hands on tuition in motors, controls, inverters and other associated parts please? I'm really looking to learn more about this sort of stuff because house bashing's not for me but I just can't find anything suitable. I'm willing to travel anywhere in the UK for the right sort of training but I am based in London so that would be my preference. Thanks.

Hi, can anyone recommend any courses with lots of hands on tuition in motors, controls, inverters and other associated parts please? I'm really looking to learn more about this sort of stuff because house bashing's not for me but I just can't find anything suitable. I'm willing to travel anywhere in the UK for the right sort of training but I am based in London so that would be my preference. Thanks.

Get yourself on HNC if you have the quals, if not, get them. Then go for degree if you fancy it. Try to get employed in Industrial Installation as an apprentice, or Maintenance.

what kind of controls? plc circuits,bms etc or?

All of the above really. My interest is getting into building services. I have done some building services work and so much of it seems to be dealing with motors, BMS, contactors, relay switches etc. I have simply never learned enough of this kind of stuff to feel in any way confident in my abilities.

Get yourself on HNC if you have the quals, if not, get them. Then go for degree if you fancy it. Try to get employed in Industrial Installation as an apprentice, or Maintenance.

I would happily take on a position as a trainee/apprentice or a labouror if it meant I would get to learn more about this sort of stuff. My electrical knowledge and experience starts and finishes with mostly domestic lighting, ring, radial, fan circuits. and other single phase stuff. I considered the HNC but I know a few guys who did it and they really weren't too impressed. It was a huge amount of course/classroom work with very little hands on experience. Hands on experience is how I learn. Sit me in a class for two years and there is a good chance I will finish not knowing much more than when I started. Stick me in a few commercial plant rooms and show me how things work then I'll get a grip on it much sooner. I am not looking for qualifications. I am looking for experience.

What about getting on an agency's books and see if there's any industrial plant or manufacturing processes near by for you to give it a try and get some experience. The guys we have or had work for us all got hnc/hnd or through agency. One agency guy from an installation back ground was given a permanent contract after a while. Good luck.

Just started in an apprentice engineering role and its brilliant I am learning mechanical as well as the electrical side of things.

I had the same background as you and I learn by doing also. House bashing isn't In the same league.

I got lucky but if you keep at it I'm sure someone will take you on like they did me.

Good luck fella

When you're messing around with motors and controls you've got to know the mechanical side of things too. I've kind of got that under wraps as I've done fair bit of basic work with AHU's and FCU's. It's just when I have to get involved with the motors, contactors and relay switches I start to get a bit sweaty lol.

I applied for job which said would suit newly qualified electrician and says will give training in motor drives, plc etc.

live in hope now..

Try your local Siemens distributor, they run courses, obviously biased towards Siemens but do give you an insight into PLC's, inverters, motor control etc. the one I did introduced all the components then some hands on programming.

Reply to Any decent Motor/Controls courses in the UK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net